Going mullet on Mondraker

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
I've preordered the Crafty R 2021 in the M size. The bike is 29" but I'm not very tall (176 cm / 5.9") so that I prefer to use mullet setup in my bikes. I've been riding the mixed wheels for two years now and this setup gives me more confidence and fun, but the most importantly the rear wheel doesn't kick my butt on steep terrain or when doing some drops. Now regarding the whole Mondraker's forward geometry and the Zero system what do you think about mulletting the 29er. I know how the geo will be affected but maybe some of you guys have tried this on a Mondraker's bike and could share opinion? Cheers!

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Offset bushing for the shock frame end, pointing outward. I don’t remember if it’s 160/150 suspension if so you need to go 150 on the fork. With that you will maintain the geometry if is that what you want.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Before my bike arrives I'd like to pick up a coil shock for my Mando Crafty R so maybe some someone knows what shock would fit the frame to get 160 mm travel? The stock is 205 eye to eye and 65 stroke but there is no 205/70 or 67.5 stroke offers on the market which would help me to get more travel here. So I found a 225/70 and maybe it would fit in the mullet setup when there's more place with the 27.5 wheel at the rear end without frame collision, what do you think? Or maybe some other solution? I'd like to convert my mullet to 160 rear, 170 front and a -1 or -1.5 angleset. It looks great on numbers this way, but ...

Last edited:

scooby82r

Aug 15, 2020
Manchester, England
Before my bike arrives I'd like to pick up a coil shock for my Mando Crafty R so maybe some someone knows what shock would fit the frame to get 160 mm travel? The stock is 205 eye to eye and 65 stroke but there is no 205/70 or 67.5 stroke offers on the market which would help me to get more travel here. So I found a 225/70 and maybe it would fit in the mullet setup when there's more place with the 27.5 wheel at the rear end without frame collision, what do you think? Or maybe some other solution? I'd like to convert my mullet to 160 rear, 170 front and a -1 or -1.5 angleset. It looks great on numbers this way, but ...

Hi m8,
I've got a Crafty Carbon R in Medium and I'm only 5'7 ( I also have a Yeti SB165 which is mulleted) I thought I'd mullet the Crafty but after riding it I'm not going to do it. The geo numbers and the way you sit on the bike does not warrant mulleting.
I can run faster and better on super steep terrain on the full 29 crafty than the yeti mullet.

I've also fitted an Ohlins Coil shock and a set of 170mm Zebs - absolutely transformed the bike, It now an absolute weapon.
Happy to help you with whatever info you need

20210206_113634.jpg

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Thanks @scooby82r ! :) Your bike looks awesome. Regarding the mullet option, I think the 170 mm ZEB changed the geo a little bit and maybe that's why you don't prefer this option. In my case I like to go smaller wheel at the rear end to avoid wheel hits on my bum which I noticed on my previous bike (also M) when doing some jumps or in very steep terrain. Once it was really dangerous during the flight over a big table. Really scary.

Regarding the coil, is it the stock dimension and stroke? I'd also like to put 170 mm and change the rear travel to 160 mm. I'll check if 222x70 or 225x65 would fit when the bike arrives but maybe you already have some thoughts?

Cheers!

scooby82r

Aug 15, 2020
Manchester, England
Thanks @scooby82r ! :) Your bike looks awesome. Regarding the mullet option, I think the 170 mm ZEB changed the geo a little bit and maybe that's why you don't prefer this option. In my case I like to go smaller wheel at the rear end to avoid wheel hits on my bum which I noticed on my previous bike (also M) when doing some jumps or in very steep terrain. Once it was really dangerous during the flight over a big table. Really scary.

Regarding the coil, is it the stock dimension and stroke? I'd also like to put 170 mm and change the rear travel to 160 mm. I'll check if 222x70 or 225x65 would fit when the bike arrives but maybe you already have some thoughts?

Cheers!

I've only just put the zebs on - I've done 500 miles on the standard set up 160/150 and that's what I was referring to.
I've had arse rub on other bikes but I've not had t on the standard setup Crafty and I'm shorter that you.
One major issue on the mullet option is the bb height as it already quite low.
After riding the standard 29 with no issue I can only advise you to ride it first before you make changes - I'll have a £1 bet you keep it 29er ;)

REF Coil - I'm running the standard dimensions and stroke. I did this after speaking to Mondraker Tech - The XR runs Ohlins with a 170mm and 150mm rear so its arguably factory.
The 170/150 is epic, the geo seem to be in the sweet spot.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
I didnt notice before that XR is 170/150 stock. I've been confused if I should keep the 160 at the front or go for the 170 mm as I planned but now it's an easy decission. Thanks!

The bike has already high BB so I'm not worried about that. My previous bike has even a lower BB position and pedal strokes wasn't an issue for me.

Which ZEB do you own? The Ultimate? I'm not sure if it's a good idea to get the top model for ~£150 more. I prefer less settings on my forks. Otherwise it's a never-ending optimization ;-)

RSVB4

Apr 27, 2020
Ca
@scooby82r how is the suspension with Coil? I have to decide between the Crafty R and upgrade it or go with the Bullit CT coil later this year. Is the Crafty progressive enough for coil? feel supportive enough? I’m worried about it being underbiked. Currently running a sentinel with 170/150 even though it’s supposed to be 160/150 so I would add 10mm up front like you did. By chance have you rode a Bullit?

scooby82r

Aug 15, 2020
Manchester, England
@scooby82r how is the suspension with Coil? I have to decide between the Crafty R and upgrade it or go with the Bullit CT coil later this year. Is the Crafty progressive enough for coil? feel supportive enough? I’m worried about it being underbiked. Currently running a sentinel with 170/150 even though it’s supposed to be 160/150 so I would add 10mm up front like you did. By chance have you rode a Bullit?
The coil has transformed the bike, I had a long conversation with TFtuned and we look at the leverage curves of the Crafty and it lends itself well to using a coil.
It's super supportive and so supple off the top its untrue. I ride hard and I can't seem to bottom it out (or it doesn't feel like it)
It's not under biked in anyway at all.
I can honestly say it's fantastic to ride, feels like a proper sorted downhill bike.
I ride it on some serious terrain and it's faster than my Yeti SB165. Awesome bike.

I've not rode the bullet so can't comment on that.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
@scooby82r is your spring linear or progressive? What is your spring lbs and weight if you don't mind. I'd like to go for a 450/500 lbsSprindex for my 87 kg but if you don't bottom out then maybe a single standard coil would be enough.

BTW. Why you decided to go for RS instead of the 38? Wouldn't be enough to change the travel? I'm curious about other people opinion if they are close to mine about Fox/RS preference :)

scooby82r

Aug 15, 2020
Manchester, England
It's a standard coil, I looked a progressive coil but was advised by TFtuned that a standard coil would work well with the Crafty leverage. It does extremely well ??
I'm 82kgs and run a 400lbs spring on the Crafty, due to the zero linkage the spring rate is low.

As the RS and 38 are very close in performance you have to look your own style of riding. The RS suites me due to it sitting slightly higher in the travel thus feeling more supportive off the top with less psi - I like that feel.
The traits of the 38 are that it's sits lower in the travel and needing more air to raise it thus making the ride slightly harder.

The RS is set and forget and the 38 is a bit more fiddely (not worth the extra 400 quid as well ?)

Hope that helps ??

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
I didn't plan to buy the 38 Factory. Rather considered to stay with the stock 38 Performance as Crafty R is equipped. However my worries regarding Fox are different. I read about the service intervals which are more often than RS and that the fork is more prone to work less optimal if the intervals are not preserved. I also prefer to set and forget or eventually adjust settings a little depending on the climbing or going down (LSC mostly) + rebound (rough or easier terrain) so RS is my choice but mostly because I could service lower legs in my Lyrik on my own and the full service was cheap and after 200 hours of riding.

Regarding the coil spring and the mullet setup, have you maybe talked about that with the TFtuned? Would the mullet setup change the progressiveness of the suspension or I shouldn't worry much? I've already bough a second 27.5 wheel, but I'll do a test drive on 29 as you suggested. I'm very curious :)

My local dealer promised to deliver my bike till the 5th of March so I'm very excited and buying things for upgrades :) My wife isn't very happy about that ;-)

scooby82r

Aug 15, 2020
Manchester, England
I wouldn't worry, Try both.
I'm going to drop in my 27.5 rear off my Yeti Mullet to experiment. I've not done it yet at the full 29 is so good - not sure if I'll see a significant benefit. The 29 rear does roll over stuff better and with no side effects.

As far as Mullet goes - I had a Yeti Sb150 and always struggled with the rear 29 hitting me in that arse and lost confidence jumping. Switching to the Yeti SB165 Mulleted solves the issue but I do notice it gets hung up in holes easier ( downside to 27.5 )
As I say I've had no issue with the Crafty full 29 hitting me in the arse so the issue is not there and it rolls faster over rough stuff so why try the 27. Arguably it will be a bit more playful/quicker to turn but at the sacrifice of total ground speed...... Difficult trade off.

Give it a go ( I will eventually) and let me know. I think the 29/29 will be the better option :)

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I wouldn't worry, Try both.
I'm going to drop in my 27.5 rear off my Yeti Mullet to experiment. I've not done it yet at the full 29 is so good - not sure if I'll see a significant benefit. The 29 rear does roll over stuff better and with no side effects.

As far as Mullet goes - I had a Yeti Sb150 and always struggled with the rear 29 hitting me in that arse and lost confidence jumping. Switching to the Yeti SB165 Mulleted solves the issue but I do notice it gets hung up in holes easier ( downside to 27.5 )
As I say I've had no issue with the Crafty full 29 hitting me in the arse so the issue is not there and it rolls faster over rough stuff so why try the 27. Arguably it will be a bit more playful/quicker to turn but at the sacrifice of total ground speed...... Difficult trade off.

Give it a go ( I will eventually) and let me know. I think the 29/29 will be the better option :)
@scooby82r have you had any issues with your Bike? I've just ordered the XR.
Currently I have a Giant Trance which has needed quite a bit of effort to keep the water out (but, fingers crossed, it's been golden of late)
I'm up from you in soggy Rossendale. :)

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
I only know the dimensions presented on the website until my bike is still in delivery. Here's what I found.

Onoff Saturn tapered for 1-1/8” to 1-1/2” head tube, ACB sealed bearings,
top 41x30.2x7x45ºx45º, bottom 51.9x40x8x45ºx45º

scooby82r

Aug 15, 2020
Manchester, England
@rafaellop have you found out the headset Dimensions yet to do this? Or can @scooby82r report with headset dimensions

That's the lower and what I replaced

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland

Have you maybe experimented with the 27.5 on Crafty and if so what's your opinion.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Haha :) Is the Bullit any better? It's Shimano motor and the spec seems to be so-so regarding price.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles