Going from Maxxis DHR 2.8 to 2.6 or 2.4

leocompositing

Sep 14, 2020
Surrey hills
Hi folks,

I love the combo DHR 2 rear Assegai front on my Decoy Elite but the 2.8 is too wide for me. Ideally I'd go for a 2.6 or 2.5 DHR but they don't come with Double Down or Downhill casing (why?)....

So two questions: am I crazy to go with an EXO+ casing if I run tyre inserts? Or should I go for a 2.4 DD and deal with pedal strikes and such.

Also what's the difference in height between 2.8 and 2.4?

cheers,
L

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Ideally I'd go for a 2.6 or 2.5 DHR but they don't come with Double Down or Downhill casing (why?)....
They are high volume for their size, so I'm guessing weight. I use tannus with a 2.6 - nothing to worry about now :) I'd probably go eddy current 2.6 tubeless, or keep it cheap and stick with the tannus dhrII combo. Remember these aren't made for ebike; they're for clockwork bikes where weight is more of an issue.

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I found a spreadsheet online - can't remember where, but here's a screen shot of (hopefully) the relevant bit for you;

1605790674900.png

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
The problem with the 2.8 Maxxis is not really the tire width but the flimsy sidewall support (feels like riding on a squirmy balloon). Not too mention how easy it is to tear a sidewall .. insert or not.

If you install a Michelin 2.8 e-bike model, that squirming feeling is negated.

I agree about the lack of DD casings. If Maxxis launches one, I'll switch back in a second. Until then I'll be riding with the picture of the Michelin Man on my wheels.

^^ Good reference chart above (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles