Going from ebike to a normal bike

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I switch between my two depending on the weather, when it's windy or hot, it's ebike. When it's cooler & still, it's analogue.
I do switch the motor off when it's flat or a slight incline.
I'm not sure why, but I find the ebike easier to pedal on the flat than the analogue. Maybe tyres :unsure:

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Did another small 14 mile blast on the lung bike. Hit a really fun downhill section. Loved it, the ride back up not so much.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
First eMTB ride in ages tonight.

Hell yes! What fun. I just needed a break.

Was like a baby MotoX bike. Drifting all over was great.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I’m with @R120. It allows me to ride everyday and go to the highest point and try all the trails all in under 2 hours. A regular bike ride will be all day and I would need the next day as rest day. It improves my skill tremendously.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
It's that time of year again when my knees, neck & back hurt all the time.
It's ebike all the way now.
Infact I'm in the process of fitting my ekit to my mtb. Just having the hub spoked into a 27.5 wheel as I type.
Dropped it off Saturday.
I knew I'd be hurting again (like every year).
I could drive to work over winter, but I hate driving. I can go weeks & not drive at all.
In fact it's over 5 weeks since I drove my truck. I took it for it's MOT. I only clocked 961 miles in the last year between MOT's. Most of that was to one of my shooting perms.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Off topic but picking up on that, I never drive now either. Apart from weekend family trips everything is by bike now. When we finally build the local trails I’ll drive even less.

I’m now using the ebike purely for fun blasts and the lung bike for training or jumps.

The ebike needs better suspension. I see no need for more power but do think better suspension and brakes and on the cards.

TheCornishOne

Jan 26, 2021
Cornwall
I’ve gone eMTB to normal bike. EMTB got me out riding and got my fitness up to the point where I’m now riding a normal bike and I love it. Lighter, faster (apart from the ride up), less maintenance, no range anxiety, no worry about motor failures and water, and it goes on the roof of my car.
This is exactly my thought pattern at the moment!!

Bravestarr

Apr 26, 2019
Fife, Scotland
There is nothing at all that I miss from my acoustic bike. I'm maybe just really slow but I don't find a huge difference between an 18kg acoustic and a 24kg E-Mtb. My E-bike is more comfortable on most of the terrain that I ride on. The only time that I feel a negative difference is when I have to lift the bike over a fence or a fallen tree. I'm a runner more than a biker so I don't bike to get fit although it is a useful way to support / suppliment my running fitness. That said I tend to be out more and do more distance etc on my e-bike than I did on my acoustic. I'll also happily take it out for an hour here and there to do some skills when I simply wouldn't have bothered with my acoustic.
The last and biggest thing for me is I love the downhills. You simply get more downhill runs/time on an e-bike.

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
Breakage of the shifter on my e-bike has forced me to ride my clockwork bike a couple of times in the last few days. Quite enjoyed it - feels so light and easy to move around. Also makes me realise that my fitness has dropped... must make a concerted effort to ride it more.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I mix and match. Gravel bike for some longer distance days or when the trails are in bad shape, fat bike for snow/ice riding (most riding lately), trail/enduro bike for most group rides and some racing, and my eMTB on "killer" group rides and for play days.

j1e

Jan 24, 2021
Michigan, USA
I've been riding fat bike to pack snow and then Levo SL for fun/rest (alternating days).

Beyond that none of the official trails in my area allow ebikes and I hope to race in a variety of events post-pandemic (BMX, XC, enduro, and DH) so I will certainly be on conventional bikes for years to come.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I've been riding fat bike to pack snow and then Levo SL for fun/rest (alternating days).

Same here! The most recent storm we needed to snowshoe a few miles first, then go back and pack it in with the fat bikes. This should count as trail maintenance hours!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles