Go pro Hero 7 Chin Mount

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Evening all I’ve just taken the plunge and shelled out for a GP hero 7, now I’ve been seeing a lot of footage where it’s been located on the chin of a full face!

Is there a bracket for this or is a full on diy thing as I think that angle looks better than the chest or top of helmet footage.? ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Same set up as on the top of a helmet. Personally I prefer the chesty and have doubts about the safety of mounting a gopro on the chin guard. I dont use a full face so its not an option for me. If you try it make sure the helmet fits snugly and there is no chance of the gopro hitting your throat in a crash or if the gopro is wiped off. In general the closer to the ground the better the POV so I prefer the chesty.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
and have doubts about the safety of mounting a gopro on the chin guard.
I broke one of the mounts I reviewed above.
I've also broken a PoPro housing case clean off it's mount.

in an impact the mount buckles and case are very likely to break.
whether the gopro injures the rider during a crash is down to bad luck as much as anything. The GoPro sits below the chin guard and if your helmet is worn and fitted properly it's fairly unlikely to hit your throat. hitting your chest more likely TBH. but as explained it'll proably break off one way or another. Chest mount is hardly fool proof to avoid injury from in a crash.

Hope this helps. and happy crashing ;)

IMO chin mounted footage does look better than chesty or helmet (top) mount. YMMV

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Very few people leash a Gopro correctly. The (deliberate) shear point is the twin prong arrangement at the base of the case or frame. Mounting a leash there or below will result in the gopro falling off and there is no telling where it might hit you. A leash on the frame or case hinge bar is better but account needs to taken where the gopro could hit you if left swinging on the leash. For a top of helmet mount (which I only use for windsurfing) 2 leashes with each fixed to points on the sidds of the helmet at the rear prevents the gopro getting anywhere near ylur face if broken off its mount. With a chesty you should have sternum protectio behind it but leashing points are less of an issue.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Very few people leash a Gopro correctly. The (deliberate) shear point is the twin prong arrangement at the base of the case or frame. Mounting a leash there or below will result in the gopro falling off and there is no telling where it might hit you.
Dude. I don't "leash" it at all.
I don't care where it "might" end up in a crash where I've smashed it clean off my full face. A silly little plastic camera is the least of your worries face planting into rocks or trees. There are also numerous "unleashed" sharp, solid and sticky outy and break-offable parts on a bike to do a rider damage in a crash
If flung off during a crash It's unlikely to be all that far away or all that difficult to find.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you spend your time worrying about freak occurences like that happening you might as well wrap your entire life in bubblewrap.

27-final-destination-meme.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Im not worried....mitigating risk is standard practise for me whether on the sea or riding the bike.....no bubblewrap involved.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles