• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Gloves

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Can anybody recommend some warm winter gloves, I really suffer from cold hands and riding this morning was painful, I need a fix quick
cheers

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Just bought some thermal / waterproof gloves from ALDI.......seem fine so far....about £12
I think.......One of my Lycra buddies carries a spare pair because he says moisture can be carried into a dry glove if you have an on trail stop........Is he peeing into a glove !!!:sick:
have fun

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
I find pretty simple fleece gloves to be much warmer than many of the supposedly windproof ones. Move to full on ski-type gloves when the temp drops below about 8C.

D

Deleted member 1275

I suffer from cold hands very easily too and have to wear winter motorcycling gloves even in the summer on thr m’bike. These aren’t bad but not used in prolonged downpours. Based on the reviews some vinyl undergloves might be in order though! I do like the good ‘feel’ to warmth ratio though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

I can give a 100% thumbs up to these gloves for when it's cold and dry, or even when its not too warm. As the name says, they are windproof. But they are not waterproof. If it is raining then your hands will get wet (and cold if the temperature is low). I have tried waterproofing treatments to no avail. I have yet to find the perfect glove. If I get one that is waterproof, they are never breathable and my hands sweat and then I can't get them off without pulling the lining out. The Dexters are my main winter glove (I'm in the UK) and I have a pair that is pretty much worn out that is OK for the Spring and Autumn, the holes let in too much air and water for the Winter but they are still too warm for the Summer. I have a brand new pair already for the really bad weather. But I will always carry a spare pair of gloves.

I have just put a pair of Sealskinz Dragon gloves on my Xmas list, they look quite promising in that they promise to be:
  • Totally waterproof, breathable and windproof
I'm looking forward to testing them! :) Sealskinz Dragon Eye MTB Cycling Long Finger Gloves | Tredz Bikes

Last edited:
Reactions: Dax

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yeah, I like the look of them too.

Edit: so much I bought the last pair in XL.

Last edited:

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Seems the decision has been made. Still, I want to share my experience. For proper cold riding (around -10*C and worse) I prefer the lobster glove. It needs to be a big size, and it can't have a glove inside. That way the fingers can be in contact with each other and I can move the middle finger between the two compartmens. By having 3 fingers in the outer compartment, I can just have the index finger in the inner compartment for one finger braking. And I can move the middle finger between compartments if one of them is getting cold.
template_sample

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Seems the decision has been made. Still, I want to share my experience. For proper cold riding (around -10*C and worse) I prefer the lobster glove. It needs to be a big size, and it can't have a glove inside. That way the fingers can be in contact with each other and I can move the middle finger between the two compartmens. By having 3 fingers in the outer compartment, I can just have the index finger in the inner compartment for one finger braking. And I can move the middle finger between compartments if one of them is getting cold.
template_sample
yeah I use something like that for diving in very cold water they are very very warm the only reason I didnt go for them was one finger braking and dexterity in general. if these gloves I have ordered dont work these will be top of my list

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
ok first trip out with the gloves, its not too cold but pissing with rain, gloves are totally waterproof and comfortable. I bought size large and width wise they are perfect but finger length is a bit long for me but its ok.
As for warmth well they were fine today but when it gets very cold I am reasonably certain I will be buying the gloves @knut7 suggested.
I hope I am wrong but I don't think the fox gloves will do minus temps

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
ok first trip out with the gloves, its not too cold but pissing with rain, gloves are totally waterproof and comfortable. I bought size large and width wise they are perfect but finger length is a bit long for me but its ok.
As for warmth well they were fine today but when it gets very cold I am reasonably certain I will be buying the gloves @knut7 suggested.
I hope I am wrong but I don't think the fox gloves will do minus temps
The picture I posted was just an example, I haven't used that particular glove. I would visit a few shops and try them on. Being able to move the middle finger and occasionally have 3 fingers in the outer compartment is a big advantage, but I might not be possible for everyone, depending on the glove and how big/wide your fingers are.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
From my days living in the alps, i always had and still have an aversion to wearing chunky gloves when boarding, so always used to run a merino wool under my normal gloves on cold days. Found it to be less bulky than wearing a thick pair of gloves. Something like these:

Merino Glove Liner

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Define ‘do’. A big part of how warm your hands are is how warm your arms are. If your forearms and wrists are cold, they stop the blood flowing.
do as in keep my hands warm when its freezing.
when I am scuba diving in the winter I have had to resort to dry heated gloves cos I suffer so badly with cold hands!

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
In that case, keep your arms warmer. This is a lesson I learnt snowboarding in -30c, i suffer from really bad circulation in my hands, they kinda go white and the blood stops flowing. Wearing a better base layer solved the problem.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
In that case, keep your arms warmer. This is a lesson I learnt snowboarding in -30c, i suffer from really bad circulation in my hands, they kinda go white and the blood stops flowing. Wearing a better base layer solved the problem.
I do wear a marino wool long sleeved base layer but maybe i will try something warmer

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I do wear a marino wool long sleeved base layer but maybe i will try something warmer

Warm core certainly helps for me
Try one of these
Ive used a gillet from these fellas under my drysuit in 100s of long cold winter decompression dives
Also use it on cold days on my bike
Defo recommend it
Not too expensive , keeps my core toasty and extremities certainly benefit
Easy to regulate temperature ( out of the water)
Heated Base Layer Top (Unisex) - Black

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Haha had a bit of a bad experience with something simillar to that had to stick o2 in my suit in an emergancy was interesting experience!!
Found some heated gloves on line that work the same gonna give them a try

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles