Glasshouse Newbie

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Hey all, I've just got back into MTB after quite a lay off due to mainly trail bike riding (KTM300). Started riding about 2 months back, once it got a bit cooler here on the Sunshine Coast.
Ended up breaking the back hub on my old GT Avalanche 3 (have since sorced a 2nd hand back wheel and have revived it as a clunker to ride when I put the 'better half' on the Ebike).
Started looking for a replacement as the GT needed quite a bit of work and was only a $400 bike to begin with. Being in my late 50's figured if I didn't buy a decent bike now, I'd be too old to enjoy it when I finally did.
Ended up buying a Norco Sight 2017 model which was such a jump up from the GT hardtail and I was away again, loving pushy riding. Rode the thing twice and then went down to Melbourne to visit friends and family and where my mate was thinking of buying an Ebike. He hired 3 different models (Giant, Kona and a Merida) and 3 of us spent the day riding all three through they tracks around Warburton (Hey Hey Mi Mi was one of them) near his place. Well the rest is history, got back home and had to have one, just spoilt I reckon.
Sold a couple of motorbikes and managed to find a Merida 900E XL with 160km on the clock from a bloke who just didn't have the time to use it any more, he'd only had it 3 months.
Loving it is an understatement. The previous owner had downsized the tyres to a 2.4 on the back and 2.5 on the front, I've put some shortened (740mm) riser (37mm) Diety Holeshot handlebars on and some waffer thin Entity pedals and have ordered one of the engine guards from Rallysaloon.
Have put about 200km on it in a couple of weeks and I was getting a bit of pedal strike and was thinking of shorter cranks but have put a bit extra in the rear shock and combined with the thinner pedals and a bit of modification of my riding style didn't hit at all last ride out.
My place backs onto the forestry here in the Glasshouse mountains and there is a bit of single trail starts right opposite my shed door. Plus the Henesey downhill track is just down the road. Even built my first bit of North shore the other day with a 4m bridge over a creek near my place (see pic). Also put a pic in of the stable at the moment, have put a couple of them on gumtree to thin it out a bit.
Can't wait to get home tonight to go for a ride tonight.

IMG_2635.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles