Given lack of choice is Specialized Turbo Levo Comp 2021 suitable?

backstep

Sep 11, 2020
Valencia, Spain
After researching for months and finally ready to buy I've discovered that almost everything is sold out. First choice was a 2021 Cube 140 Action Team or a Focus Thron2 6.8 but can't find online or my LBS. However I just found a Turbo Levo Comp 2021 in oak green!

I wanted 130-140mm travel and shortish reach for comfort during long rides. Levo comp has a short reach at 455 in Large however the 160mm of travel concerns me. The geometry looks fairly relaxed as far as I can tell so I think its OK. I don't have much recent experience on mountain bikes (2 years on a hardtail back in 1995) and expect to be mainly riding on fire roads and light trails initially. However I do like the idea of a bike I can push a little harder as I get more experience.

I'd really like to order the bike today before it gets sold but my main concern is that I'm buying the wrong type of bike for what I need and that its way over-biked for my requirements and that I'll be wishing I got something with less travel.

I'd really appreciate any advise from those with more experience than myself.. Thank you!

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you only intend riding fire roads a full suspension bike may be overkill especially in terms of price...you are paying for a lot of capability in a Levo Comp which it does not sound like you are likely to use. That said if you are not worried about the price or extra maintenance work/cost involved a Levo will happily trundle along fire roads all day.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
You don't often hear of people complaining about too much travel especially as far as e-bikes are concerned. The loss of pedaling efficiency is less of an issue when you have a battery and a motor. If you think that you may get a little more adventurous go for the longer travel. I made that mistake 18 months ago when I bought a bike with 130mm of travel. I've just sold it and bought one with 160mm because my downhill skills have improved. I'm riding the same trails but faster and far more comfortably. In both senses of that word.

Al

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There may not be a shortage of choice if you included hardtail options was my point.

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Peak District and Cornwall, UK
If you only intend riding fire roads a full suspension bike may be overkill especially in terms of price...you are paying for a lot of capability in a Levo Comp which it does not sound like you are likely to use. That said if you are not worried about the price or extra maintenance work/cost involved a Levo will happily trundle along fire roads all day.
It starts with fire roads, but it soon gets gnarly and technical. Get a full sus and youll have a blast...

And if you like tinkering with technology and the bikes setup, get the BLevo app. I takes the Misson Control capability to another level. The Levo is so configurable, more than any other bike. Search for BLevo on this forum.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Levos! I recently tried the new generation of ebikes (cube), and decided my 2019 levo is still better than most of them.

So, you wont regret it i think.
Serious question. What is it, specifically, about the Levo that makes it better? Could it be that it's just better for you personally? I think it's difficult to quantify "better" objectively and universally for all.

Al

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
Serious question. What is it, specifically, about the Levo that makes it better? Could it be that it's just better for you personally? I think it's difficult to quantify "better" objectively and universally for all.

Al

I certainly cant presume to speak for everyone, nor have I tested as much bikes as Rob. And for sure, my levo is at the moment "my bike", which gives it an edge over any stock model, even if it's an s-works. (I have installed a coil shock, sram axs group, guide rsc levers, and upgrades to the fork are inbound.)

But the frame, motor behaviour and handling, things that aren't really upgradable, all stood the test of time. It's still a good frame, a good motor, and strikes a nice balance between trail/am and xc. (Which is perfect for me.)

Riding with BLevo and the handlebar remote is also a huge plus, something no other bike can do. ()

I'm not sure if I would really buy a Levo again, given the steep price tag. Compared to 2018 there are a lot more alternatives at a cheaper price point. What I do know is that the the bike and Specialized dealers never let me down and that I never regretted my decision to get a levo. Even now I think upgrading the bike with the latest components is probably a better option than getting a new ebike. (That's why I got the axs shifters and sqlab handlebar, and vorsprung smashpot for example.)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The Levo ...from 2019....has 3 things going for it that differentiates it from most other bikes. Firstly the availability and warranty. You are far more likely to have a Spesh dealer close at hand than most other brands and their track record on warranty support is second to none. Secondly the base geo/design of the Levo makes it a jack of all trades and therefore applicable to very wide range of riders of different capabilities and type of riding. It is essentially a trail bike but will cope with more All Mountain use and with a few mods ( depending on the model bought) even Enduro type use. Thirdly, the motor and battery integration is still better than most including the degree of control offered via the Mission Control App.........and the motor itself is still one of the most powerful and least noisy. Just like all Emtbs it has its weaknesses but these are fairly easy to address and consist largely of keeping the electrical components dry, and the bike well maintained. Possibly the most glaring difference from some of its competitors is apparent value for money. There are lots of alternative brands that appear to deliver far better value for money if that judgement is based simply on price and component spec. The market leader in any market segment is invariable a premium price and can justify that price for a reason.
On a personal level I have always considered the Comp to represent the best option with only the fork and tyres requiring upgrade to create a significantly better performing bike for those with more serious gravity riding in mind.

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
After researching for months and finally ready to buy I've discovered that almost everything is sold out. First choice was a 2021 Cube 140 Action Team or a Focus Thron2 6.8 but can't find online or my LBS. However I just found a Turbo Levo Comp 2021 in oak green!

I wanted 130-140mm travel and shortish reach for comfort during long rides. Levo comp has a short reach at 455 in Large however the 160mm of travel concerns me. The geometry looks fairly relaxed as far as I can tell so I think its OK. I don't have much recent experience on mountain bikes (2 years on a hardtail back in 1995) and expect to be mainly riding on fire roads and light trails initially. However I do like the idea of a bike I can push a little harder as I get more experience.

I'd really like to order the bike today before it gets sold but my main concern is that I'm buying the wrong type of bike for what I need and that its way over-biked for my requirements and that I'll be wishing I got something with less travel.

I'd really appreciate any advise from those with more experience than myself.. Thank you!
I've read all the comments and I agree with all of them I own a turbo That being said have you looked at the specialized epic ?? It's been redesigned gravel bike less travel

Mimo

Dec 27, 2019
Hillingdon

The Turbo Levo you mentioned is exactly what I want to buy here in the UK and need to wait few more weeks to get it. I have already placed an order. I had the Cube Stereo SL 160 last year with a last generation Bosch motor (a great emtb) reviewed here but now I've decided to move a step up. Get it and you won't regret it. The components upgrades on the 2021 model decided it for me.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles