Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Product Image:
giro-switchblade-mips-helmet-white-grey-EV290134-9070-10.jpg

Product name: Giro Switchblade MIPS Helmet
Price paid: £138
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: After a fairly spectacular pair of unsheduled dismounts left me with a black eye the day before I took SWMBO to Prague for her Xmas present I upgraded my FoxFlux to this Giro Switchblade MIPS.

I wanted full face for the gnarr downhill bits but open face for the slog to the top so this fitted the bill. That it was on sale at CRC only sweetened the deal.

It's heavier than my Flux, even with the chinguard removed and hotter too. Not a problem at this time of year, but look out for a sweaty update if we ever get a summer...
It's very comfortable and I don't notice the weight of it any more.

Initially, I started riding with the chinguard removed but after a couple of times of stopping to fit it at the top and stopping to remove it at the bottom I just leave it on all the time. The only disadvantage to that is drinking from a bottle is no longer possible without stopping.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Initially, I started riding with the chinguard removed but after a couple of times of stopping to fit it at the top and stopping to remove it at the bottom I just leave it on all the time.

er... dude. I'm not sure why you'd compromise with one of these then?
A proper full face will always do the job far better than these removable chinguard style helmets.
I must admit they've got a lot better. The original switchbalde chinguard design was so bad it actaully caused as much injury as it was meant to prevented.

TOP TIP: Drinking with a bottle in most full face helmets is possible if you just pull the chinguard down.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I just leave it on all the time.
er... dude. I'm not sure why you'd compromise with one of these then?
er... dude. This is why...
I wanted full face for the gnarr downhill bits but open face for the slog to the top

I suspect I'll go back to switching between modes in the summer.
Not sure it's a compromise either...
Everything about the Switchblade is optimized for the descent, and that’s why it’s certified to CPSC, EN-1078 and ASTM-1952-DH with and without the chinbar.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I fall off on the way up more often than on the way down...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No, usually onto my already fucked shoulder, doing yet more damage...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Not the worst suggestion I've heard... :D

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It got a good testing this weekend. I haven't had a chance to inspect it yet, but at the very least I think I need a new peak. Both crashes were soft on the head and hard on the hip so I hopeful it won't need replacing.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
How has the life been with Giro Switchblade? Would you buy it again or have you replaced it with something else?

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
I had a switchblade for a day what a clumsy piece of shit not enuf vents for cooling and the chin peice was a clunk lick trip I’d relate it to a posh microwave ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
How has the life been with Giro Switchblade? Would you buy it again or have you replaced it with something else?
I replaced it in late 2019 after a big OTB that put a rather noticeable dent in the shell (joining the already present less noticeable ones...). I wouldn't buy another; I stopped removing the chinguard and it's heavy and expensive.

It helped that I'd already bought a Fox Proframe for half price in one of the many CRC sales.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Does anyone know what could be different in 2021 model compared to previous ones?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles