Giant Trance E+ Sudden Off!!

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
My Wife’s Giant Liv Intrigue has the same cutting out issue and has been back to the LBS for a new controller. First ride out and it cut out 10 times in 2 miles!!!

When dropping the bike off I mentioned the shim but they said it was definitely the controller. I mentioned this thread and he said “the trouble with forums is that people lie” ????
I’m awaiting a response re where we go from here.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
An update for those interested...

LBS been in touch with Giant and they have said that it can only be 1 of 2 things...
They are sending a battery connector shim and a new wiring loom.

I’ll report back when they have fit the new parts and bike tested.

Vegas36

Sep 20, 2019
USA
Had the same issue (Trance E+ Pro 1) intermittent shutoffs.
Took it in to the Giant dealer, they inserted a shim. Problem fixed. No issues for the last 3 months.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
A further update for those interested...

Had a new wiring loom and a battery connector shim fitted got the bike back and did 2 rides without any issues...then plugged in to charge and all the lights on the controller lit up and no power the the cranks.

Taken it back to the LBS and Giant are sending out a new motor.

Going to collect on Saturday but if this hasn't fixed it, not sure where we go from here. Anyone any advice about a asking for a refund? Am I within my rights to do this and who should give me the refund, the LBS, as my contract is with them?

Vegas36

Sep 20, 2019
USA
After they try to fix it again and it fails your well within your rights to ask for a refund. Most likely they will replace the bike. You paid good money for a functional bike.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Yes, this is the 4th time it's been in for repair and the LBS is 40 miles away so an 80 mile round trip each time. They even tried to charge me for the battery charging port rubber cover, as it had split. I challenged them and they've backed down.

Vegas36

Sep 20, 2019
USA
Only thing l would say when you take it back Saturday is to have it clean and presentable. If they thing that you don't maintained the bike, they would be less likely to help.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Only thing l would say when you take it back Saturday is to have it clean and presentable. If they thing that you don't maintained the bike, they would be less likely to help.

It's ready for collection on Saturday, so hopefully, this will solve the problems. It's had everything replaced now including the motor, so fingers crossed.

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
The intermittent cutoff issue as well as the issue with the bike that doesn't want to turn off is all controller related. My bike did the cutting off thing and after adjusting the battery it was okay for a while then one day after I washed it, it wouldn't turn off. I phoned the bike shop and they provided me with a new controller. That settled the issue permanently. I've since washed it, rode it in the rain and water for about 1800 kilos and no more problems. I do exercise some care if I transport the bike on a bike rack in the rain and also clean my battery terminals from time to time with pc board cleaner and it's just awesome since with no more issues whatsoever.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi all i said months and months ago its controller related... had constant turning off problems which ended up with giant replacing my bike ...then fitting the latest controller ive now done 1600 trouble free miles even in horrendous heavy all day rides with no issues

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada
I had previously gone through a controller wiring issue where the plastic connector had busted at the motor location. Replaced and all good.

Started getting the odd random power down and reseating the battery seemed to fix it at least temporarily while on the trail.

Went to clean the contacts and noticed one of the two little screws holding the connector on the frame was missing and it had some play.. Found a replacement screw, applied loc-tite, snugged it up and problem solved!

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
The most common issue is the battery not full sitting on the battery connectors at the bottom. Usually a metal plate under the connector solves the issue. Before this, you can try loosening the two top screws of the lock mechanism, moving the battery a little to the bottom and then screwing them back on again :)

fs0ciet1

May 17, 2020
milano
Ok but 1 month of life.. ?anyway I brought the e bike to the authorized seller , I am angry and sad I don't know how they will manage the situation , the problem having started doing it randomly and now stuck on red light or sudden off Random

fs0ciet1

May 17, 2020
milano
update: the dealer phoned me and they told that maybe it could be the speed control unit that was fitted to remove the limit of 25 km
he also told me that have tested the bike and without control unit active the bike does not go off
for him it is a problem of connection of speed control unit

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
did you install a speed limit remover??? The usual e-bike tuning device? You should have mentioned that in your post xD

fs0ciet1

May 17, 2020
milano
yes it was installed , but I didn't mention it because it was installed by the official giant authorized dealer and I didn't think he was the problem in the least because since they had installed it he had never given any problems

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
But that kind of devices voids the warranty... ^^ It is the first time I see a dealer agrees to install it on a new bike! wow!

fs0ciet1

May 17, 2020
milano
it's a shop in italy and people are trained, they told me that giant can never understand what happened if the device is removed before the checks.
and since it was installed where i purchased the bike there are no problems for warranty voids

fs0ciet1

May 17, 2020
milano
Had the intermittent shutoffs in my new Fathom e+0 pro 2020
Took it in to the Giant dealer, they inserted a shim.
you have solved definitively in this way?

Milarr

Aug 1, 2020
Germany
Hi there, have the same power cut issue with my fathom e pro 2019. Startet after 3 months (250 miles) with randomly power cuts like in the video from fs0ciet1. Quickly after that I wasn't even able to turn on the bike. My dealer diagnosed a defect on the battery and ordered a new one. After that I had no more problems for another 250 miles.

Last week I brought my bike to the inspection and have now the same power cuts again. Interesting fact : got a firmware update and my dealer changed the battery cover due to a squashed sealing gasket.

Anyway, my dealer said he called giant because of the power cuts. The responded its because of a broken firmware update they released and installed on my bike. Next week they will will provide a new update with a fix...

So, since i have read all of your posts regarding the power cut issue I starting to disbelieve that a firmware update (if it exists at all) will solve my problem. And regarding to all of your comments it seems it could be the battery bracket.

As a soon as I got any new uodates I will share them.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Have you been washing the bike with a hose? The only time I've had mine shutting off was after it had been washed then stored. I traced the problem to water ingress of the RideControl One switch unit and dried it out and avoided getting water near it in future, no more issues.

Ricardo Traven

Aug 6, 2020
North Carolina
Have found the batt and bike terminals like to be really clean after a couple of shut off's, having looked at the batt side I'm tempted to close up the female parts of the terminals, they have a gap that may not be squeezing tight enough on the male part of connector on bike side.....
Did you ever try to squeeze the terminals to pinch the spade terminals tighter? I think this is THE issue at hand while battery latches and lock tightness might help the spade blade is too thin and perhaps not deep enough in the receptacle.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Did you ever try to squeeze the terminals to pinch the spade terminals tighter? I think this is THE issue at hand while battery latches and lock tightness might help the spade blade is too thin and perhaps not deep enough in the receptacle.
Yeah I did do that, wasn't until I had the spacer shim done till prob went away for good though.

fs0ciet1

May 17, 2020
milano
Update

After they try to fix it with shim , today After fews day since the bike returned from assistance the problem recurred and the bike shuts off randomly. This ebike have 3 months of life, what rights can I claim. Im really tired of this situation

Ricardo Traven

Aug 6, 2020
North Carolina
FIXED!! Yes after doing much diligent work with a digital micrometer and studying the possible solutions and now reading your experience I believe my solution is what is needed. The controller voltage is unknown and I suspect very sensitive to any resistance from corrosion on the terminals even if it seems microscopic..the wafer block might help The terminals fit better for a while and folks have tightened the key lock for a tighter fit but in the end the problem returns. We know the motor uses lots of power but the controller may be very very sensitive to any Unwanted resistance on the terminals. With that theory I bought a can of electronic contact cleaner and did nothing else like tightening the key or lock - nothing. I used CRC 5103 contact cleaner on the battery terminals and the bike terminals. The problem has been completely resolved on my bike and I had the same complaint as you. Without a wiring diagram for the controller (I’m an engineer) I strongly Suspect the controller to be of very small voltage and the electronics inside of it uber sensitive to any power supply issue that might cause a resistance increase - even micro levels of corrosion on the terminals. These things tend to be designed by electronic geeks that don’t ride mountain bikes and have no idea the environment these terminals may endure. My bike was new and while it was a bit dirty the battery terminals looked perfectly clean visually. However, Two sprays of CRC on those terminals cured my bike of all the problems I reported earlier. The only change I did was that spray cleaner. My bike was fixed with $5 can of CRC. Good luck!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles