Giant Trance E+ Sudden Off!!

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Yep - I'm assuming that the dealer also did as well when they investigated and waterproofed it. ? Its with the warranty team now, I'm going for a refund. I can't have a bike that's got a proven track record of being unreliable - intermittent faults are the worst, because you never know when it's going to go off, or when it will come back on again. ?

As a 5ft 2 woman, I sincerely hope that I'm not hefty enough to break the bike, even if I need to lose a few pounds! ?
Copy that! No correlation.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Is it possible, sudden off failures are corrilated to rider size and mass? More frame flex moving the control points?
As I have said in other threads, I am not a small man but if flexing and battery contact were the issue then you would expect it to occur on the rough tracks, jumps or deep ruts but mine occurred on a flat tarmac road....

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
There appears to be a number off scenarios at play for this sudden off issue... With mine the bike switched off completely with no lights on the RideControl One controller, no error lights, just off. Some others are experiencing the Red LED fault light, the attached picture may help if this occurs and at the very least noting down the fault for your dealer may help as once switched off it appears that the RideControl One does not store faults is NVM.

RideControl One Error Codes.jpg

MrsToast

Sep 20, 2021
Leamington Spa
Bit of a pain in the arse all around. After two weeks, Rutland decided to refuse giving me a refund, because they say they've have a right to a repair (even though they told me to go to the local Giant dealer for any repairs).

Currently in the hands of Trading Standards, but I fear I'm going to forced to accept the second repair, and end up getting stuck in the arse end of nowhere by myself if/when it pops it dies again. Instead of being my source of relaxation and joy, every ride is going to be tainted with the fear that that the bike is going to randomly pop its clogs.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi all just to add to this i had 3 Giant emtbs that all had these issues ! It was controller faults not battery related as most thought initially!! In the 2 years i had my 3 bikes they spent more time in the shop than on the trails … to cut a long story short i got rid and bought a cube with Bosch system !! 12 months and 1700 trouble free miles later ! Totally different experience

funnel

May 15, 2020
World
Hi all just to add to this i had 3 Giant emtbs that all had these issues ! It was controller faults not battery related as most thought initially!! In the 2 years i had my 3 bikes they spent more time in the shop than on the trails … to cut a long story short i got rid and bought a cube with Bosch system !! 12 months and 1700 trouble free miles later ! Totally different experience

Doubt it. For me just cleaning the battery contacts worked. I did like 10-12000km in 18 months. Still works.

MrsToast

Sep 20, 2021
Leamington Spa
I eventually got a refund from Rutland after doing a bank charge back (they were initially refusing, saying that me being without the bike for 4-6 weeks - or longer - wasn't unreasonable and wasn't inconvenient). All sorted, but I'll definitely be avoiding them in the future.

I might be a bit of a glutton for punishment, but I've ordered another Intrigue, but from my local dealer this time as they managed to get one. This one is being waterproofed from the off though, and apparently has a couple of updates from the launch 2021. Got a discount too!

Miestenmies

Jun 26, 2021
FI
I've rode over 300km with no faults after My local dealer did something to Ergo control wiring loom, they said it was too tight inside frame tube. They loosened it up and checked connectors and i've blasted thru mud and water since then with no faults. Im a Happy man once again!

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Hi,

I’ve had a 2020 Trance E+ and now a 2021 Trance X which have been pretty much flawless until last week. My 2020 did a UK winter last year without issue. My 2021 has had a few “sudden off” issues which were sorted by reseating the battery catch/lock thingy.

Haven’t ridden for 5-6 weeks. Put the battery on trickle after I last rode it in it’s nice dry shed and put it on full charge last night in anticipation of riding it today.

Went to the shed switched today and switched the bike on. The RideControl lit and I thought it was good to go. But after a second or so it went out.

I thought “bollox” the battery is dead. Checked and all the lights came on on the battery. Put it on charge and it wouldn’t charge, I assume as it’s full.

Reseated battery numerous times but it’s still not switching on.

I’ve never walked up to the shed a thought “I hope it’ll switch on”. That will now happen.

I’ve pinged the Not-so-LBS and I know the default will be “ bring it in” however I’ve sent them a couple of videos hoping they’ll talk to Giant first….which I doubt.

Buggered my first “winter” ride.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
If the battery is really cold the bike will not switch on, even when the battery LEDs are lighting.
If this is not the case, try some electrical contact spray.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I sent LBS an email with video on just before I took it in. They called me on the 5th Nov and had already spoken to Giant. Giant have said it could be one of three things….controller or sensors. They despatched said parts which should arrive early next week.

Taking bike in today for them to carry out the work on Wednesday. Will be awesome if I can get it back by next weekend.

Will report back what the specific issue was.

Update - had a call from LBS saying they had replaced everything but it still didn’t work.

New motor on it’s way from “Europe” and could take 1-2 weeks.

Looks like my luck has run out

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Update - after LBS replaced the three parts Giant thought it could be it still didn’t work. New motor was despatched and fitted but that didn’t fix it either.

It’s on its way back to Giant……

funnel

May 15, 2020
World
Yikes... Motor, controller, battery, wiring harness... what else is there?

I bet it's the cable or the connectors on the cable that goes from the battery to the motor inside the frame. But I guess they replaced it with a brand new one on the first occasion?

anfos

May 1, 2021
Greece
Or the battery itself since it's not charging, did you try to charge it off the bike with the adapter just in case?

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I bet it's the cable or the connectors on the cable that goes from the battery to the motor inside the frame. But I guess they replaced it with a brand new one on the first occasion?

All wiring changed, battery swapped and new motor. It beggars belief….

funnel

May 15, 2020
World
All wiring changed, battery swapped and new motor. It beggars belief….

Some other ideas maybe:
- the frame is bent and the battery doesn't sit properly perpendicular on the contacts,
- damaged or production error on the piece where the contacts are located, bent or at an angle, or shifted to one side.
- there's a sharp edge inside the frame that squishes and damages the wiring when putting the motor back on.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
It worked fine that last time I used it. No offs during a 35KM ride. Put in the shed and 5-6 weeks later…….dead.

It has to be an electronic issue. Let’s see what Giant have to say.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
So, just over a month and I picked the bike up today. Everything electronic has been replaced including a new motor. Battery has had “firmware upgraded”.

Not ridden it yet but it switches on. The software has got the Kilometres back to zero.

Not bad service compared to some of the nightmares I’ve read on here.

Quite chuffed to be honest that it’s back so soon. Out on Saturday AM.

Fingers crossed I won’t need to add to this thread again

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
It’s really disappointing to read all these tales of woe. I had hoped the newer bikes than mine would be less problematic but it seems not?\

I’ve just posted up an intriguing one that is interesting given you got a BATTERY firmware update…..!

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
It’s really disappointing to read all these tales of woe. I had hoped the newer bikes than mine would be less problematic but it seems not?\

I’ve just posted up an intriguing one that is interesting given you got a BATTERY firmware update…..!

I had a problem-free Trance E+ for 2400km before this bike. New tech. = new challenges.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
My replacement is also the quietest of the 5 I have had, so definitely a theme here.
Somethings been improved.

Mmmmm and the dealer did make a point of saying the battery had new firmware. I don’t quite understand how firmware can combat moisture but what do I know…..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles