Giant Trance E+ Sudden Off!!

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
saw some problems with the trance E+ keep turning off during ride. after my 1st 100km, the system keep turning off suddenly. Turn it on back, it will off again!
any solution for this?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Just take it back to your dealer; electrical gremlins such as that are unlikely to be fixable by a home mechanic, and being such a new model the bike must be in warranty.

Last edited:

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
Just take it back to your dealer; electrical gremlins such as that are u likely to be fixable by a home mechanic, and being such a new model the bike must be in warranty.
Just take it back to your dealer; electrical gremlins such as that are u likely to be fixable by a home mechanic, and being such a new model the bike must be in warranty.
i did. they help me make a report to Giant and waiting for solution.
Saw some member here having the same problem so that could help a lot if i can pass the info to my LBS.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
That’s a bit disappointing - it’s not like you can avoid vibrations whilst riding a mountain bike! Sounds like the battery retention might need a redesign...

Henry#40

Nov 9, 2018
Australia
saw some problems with the trance E+ keep turning off during ride. after my 1st 100km, the system keep turning off suddenly. Turn it on back, it will off again!
any solution for this?
Mine did this. I fixed it by removing the lock and adjusting it tighter. Once removed you will see the slots where the adjustment can be made. It will take a few goes but you want it to fit quite tightly when installing. Before removing the lock there is a small black plastic ring around the keyhole that must be removed. Turn it anticlockwuse to unlock the tabs before pulling it off.

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
w
Mine did this. I fixed it by removing the lock and adjusting it tighter. Once removed you will see the slots where the adjustment can be made. It will take a few goes but you want it to fit quite tightly when installing. Before removing the lock there is a small black plastic ring around the keyhole that must be removed. Turn it anticlockwuse to unlock the tabs before pulling it off.
thanks a lot.. will try this method

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
G'day dan3344, the problem is still unresolved at this stage, the Shop Owner and all there staff have been extremely helpful in trying to get to the bottom of it. I am sure it as frustrating for them as it is for me. We have tried different things to see if can be resolved but so far no luck.

Mine and a couple more(same bikes, E Pro 1's) have been having the exact same issues.

Sometimes i can ride for 15-18klms until it switches off. When it starts it usually continues but in a much shorter time frame. 1st one might be 15klms, then in another 8klms it might do it another 7 or 8 times. I have ridden 4klms before it happened the 1st time as well, then i have had times were it has gone perfect the whole ride. It also gets to a stage that when you put any load on the crank it turns off. Then it may not turn on for a few minutes. It has never not turned back on, but there has been times when i have just said fuck it and rode with it off.

Things that have been tried so far are

1 : Remove battery after it turns itself off after a couple of times.( works but doesn't last) will still shut off.

2: Adjust battery lock a couple of times(same result)

3 : Check/measure for contact connection between battery and bike(make sure male pins insert into female of battery)far enough.

4 : New switch, same results

5 : New motor(good for 2 rides) same results.

As a i said the shop owner and staff have been awesome, i am sure the last thing they want to see when they open is my smiling face, but they are working through it to get it sorted. I am extremely happy with the bike and all there efforts to resolve the issues. They need to find what is wrong for them to know what to look for with other customer bikes as well if required. So at the moment it is a matter of trying one thing at a time to see what comes of it. Thought we were on a winner with the motor change over but sadly the same issues arose.

Our next thing is to flatten battery and charge it off the bike, i have always charged it on the bike, so will see what happens.

Last edited:

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
G'day dan3344, the problem is still unresolved at this stage, the Shop Owner and all there staff have been extremely helpful in trying to get to the bottom of it. I am sure it as frustrating for them as it is for me. We have tried different things to see if can be resolved but so far no luck.

Mine and a couple more(same bikes, E Pro 1's) have been having the exact same issues.

Sometimes i can ride for 15-18klms until it switches off. When it starts it usually continues but in a much shorter time frame. 1st one might be 15klms, then in another 8klms it might do it another 7 or 8 times. I have ridden 4klms before it happened the 1st time as well, then i have had times were it has gone perfect the whole ride. It also gets to a stage that when you put any load on the crank it turns off. Then it may not turn on for a few minutes. It has never not turned back on, but there has been times when i have just said fuck it and rode with it off.

1 : Remove battery after it turns itself off after a couple of times.( works but doesn't last) will still shut off.

2 : New switch, same results

3 : New motor(good for 2 rides) same results.

As a i said the shop owner and staff have been awesome, i am sure the last thing they want to see when they open is my smiling face, but they are working through it to get it sorted. I am extremely happy with the bike and all there efforts to resolve the issues. They need to find what is wrong for them to know what to look for with other customer bikes as well if required. So at the moment it is a matter of trying one thing at a time to see what comes of it. Thought we were on a winner with the motor change over but sadly the same issues arose.

Our next thing is to flatten battery and charge it off the bike, i have always charged it on the bike, so will see what happens.
thanks for your info.. will send this info to my local dealer..hopefully they can resolve it soon

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia

2 : New switch, same results

3 : New motor(good for 2 rides) same results.

Dear @poppy appreciate if you can update me again if found any new solution..

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Ive done over 100 miles on mine now in two weeks and no issues at all albeit mines a stance e.... i have read it happens on other makes and has been battery related ie not tight enough....

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
i removed the black plastic ring.. then remove 2 small bolts inside.. but still cant make any movement at all. i think i should wait for the dealer.. Giant HQ is sending over a dongle that can connect to bike and check what is the problem.. like a car OBD

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...Things that have been tried so far are

2: Adjust battery lock a couple of times(same result)

3 : Check/measure for contact connection between battery and bike(make sure male pins insert into female of battery)far enough.

4 : New switch, same results

5 : New motor(good for 2 rides) same results.

Sounds like you are doing the right things, but I cannot believe charging the battery in a different way will have any impact. Remember if it was the battery state of charge that was the issue it wouldn't have switched back on and been rideable with assistance when it happned previously. My money is still on a poor battery fit design that allows it to rattle around on the contacts, causing intermittent power supply failures.

Last edited:

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
ounds like you are doing the right things, but I acannot believe charing the battery i a different way will have any impact. Remember if it was the battery state of charge that was the issue it wouldn't have switched back on and been rideable with assistance when it happned previously. My money is still on a poor battery fit design that allows it to rattle round on the contacts causing intermittent power supply failures.
mine wasn't rattle at all.. on 1 occasion.. when turn it on,it would switch off immediately. Now have to wait Giant receive the USB dongle to check the bike system and see what is wrong.

Henry#40

Nov 9, 2018
Australia
i removed the black plastic ring.. then remove 2 small bolts inside.. but still cant make any movement at all. i think i should wait for the dealer.. Giant HQ is sending over a dongle that can connect to bike and check what is the problem.. like a car OBD
Once you remove the 2 black bolts on the outside of the frame the whole lock assembly will come out. Once out, there are 3 bolts that will allow you to adjust the lock tighter as they are slotted. The dongle won't help as the battery losing connection just turns the bike off, it doesn't actually register a fault. It's as if you've just removed the battery. I'm not convinced the battery lock is the answer, however, my E+ has been good for many rides since I tightened the lock. My battery is now very tight, you have to push quite hard to make it latch closed. Good luck.

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
Once you remove the 2 black bolts on the outside of the frame the whole lock assembly will come out. Once out, there are 3 bolts that will allow you to adjust the lock tighter as they are slotted. The dongle won't help as the battery losing connection just turns the bike off, it doesn't actually register a fault. It's as if you've just removed the battery. I'm not convinced the battery lock is the answer, however, my E+ has been good for many rides since I tightened the lock. My battery is now very tight, you have to push quite hard to make it latch closed. Good luck.

Thanks mate. Will try out in a while.

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
anyone can tell me if your lock mechanism work as youtube link provided below?
turn the key and the battery will drop down but still required to press the trigger to remove it..
before i make adjustment to the lock, the battery will stay at its position even i turn the key knob.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
turn the key and the battery will drop down but still required to press the trigger to remove it..
before i make adjustment to the lock, the battery will stay at its position even i turn the key knob.

Mines drops down ever so slightly untill i press the release catch.. but doesnt drop fully

Henry#40

Nov 9, 2018
Australia

Yes, mine works as shown in the video. It took me several attempts to get it just right. Too tight and it won't latch closed properly, or won't delatch properly. Too loose and it will move around whilst riding. Mine is now still tight in the frame at the end of a ride. When I first got the bike it would feel tight at the start of a ride but have some movement after riding.

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
Yes, mine works as shown in the video. It took me several attempts to get it just right. Too tight and it won't latch closed properly, or won't delatch properly. Too loose and it will move around whilst riding. Mine is now still tight in the frame at the end of a ride. When I first got the bike it would feel tight at the start of a ride but have some movement after riding.
thanks.. at first, i have problem during delatch.. have to pull hard to bring down the battery. i adjusted earlier.. now seems quite secure but have to try ride it to make sure the on off prob is gone..

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
My original stance kept turning off repeatedly in the end giant gave me a new stance e... so far its been ok but today had the controller swapped looks exacttly same id imagine its just sealed better... mech knew nothing about a mk4! Version so no idea... my fathom e pro is still on same mk2 and as been fine so far after 300 miles...

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Have found the batt and bike terminals like to be really clean after a couple of shut off's, having looked at the batt side I'm tempted to close up the female parts of the terminals, they have a gap that may not be squeezing tight enough on the male part of connector on bike side.....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles