Giant trance e+ devices

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
I use the Wahoo Fitness app with my phone (no need for their gps unit). It automatically uploads to Strava when I am done for posterity sake. Wahoo Fitness App

With this mount that has been flawless if you attach the rubber on the phone edges:
Mount

Last edited:

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
Hi all,
Emailed giant about a display for the trance e, here the reply I got..

Good afternoon Paul,

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

We do not offer a dash to work with the ride control 1 I'm afraid. You can either run the ride control 1 or revert back to the old dash and button system. Please note that you cannot mix and match the systems as they are not compatible.

Kind regards,

Marcus
Giant UK

I'll probably use a garmin, looked at the 25, preety compact.

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
While I don't think it's compatible with the bike - something like a Garmin 520 with a heart rate monitor will give you more information than any ebike system that I know of.
Giant have recognised this on their higher end bikes - they know that 'serious' cyclists (that's not a slur) will prefer to use their own dedicated unit, not something half way there, so you have an elegant switch instead. Bosch has a little screen, it's just about useless.
The software from Garmin is great (although there are other programs you can use), you can track just about any cycling related stat (speed, elevation, cadence, times, etc etc). It's also a GPS (obviously) and the ability to have your ride automatically overlapped on Google maps is just awesome for really analysing your ride. Want to know where your top speed was on the ride... Easy... Want to watch your entire ride and the exact speed and cadence and heart rate you were doing at any point on your ride... Easy.
As to using your phone on the handlebars. I guess it depends how cautious you are and where you are riding. One wrong spill, however, and there goes my $1500, or an insurance claim. The Garmin is a small display that you easily remove and when off the bike the mount is almost invisible (there's also a great range of mount options including carbon and alloy items that are gorgeous). Finally, I don't think phones are as accurate as a dedicated GPS unit. They're good, but just not as good... And, how do they track cadence and all that?
I like the idea of a fully integrated system from the bike manufacturer, but the truth is, Garmin are in the GPS business, Giant and the likes are in the business of building bikes. The tech that's in the Garmin systems are the result of decades of research and development - I've had Garmins for 15 years. Let each do what they do best, it's better for the end consumer.

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
While I don't think it's compatible with the bike - something like a Garmin 520 with a heart rate monitor will give you more information than any ebike system that I know of.
Giant have recognised this on their higher end bikes - they know that 'serious' cyclists (that's not a slur) will prefer to use their own dedicated unit, not something half way there, so you have an elegant switch instead. Bosch has a little screen, it's just about useless.
The software from Garmin is great (although there are other programs you can use), you can track just about any cycling related stat (speed, elevation, cadence, times, etc etc). It's also a GPS (obviously) and the ability to have your ride automatically overlapped on Google maps is just awesome for really analysing your ride. Want to know where your top speed was on the ride... Easy... Want to watch your entire ride and the exact speed and cadence and heart rate you were doing at any point on your ride... Easy.
As to using your phone on the handlebars. I guess it depends how cautious you are and where you are riding. One wrong spill, however, and there goes my $1500, or an insurance claim. The Garmin is a small display that you easily remove and when off the bike the mount is almost invisible (there's also a great range of mount options including carbon and alloy items that are gorgeous). Finally, I don't think phones are as accurate as a dedicated GPS unit. They're good, but just not as good... And, how do they track cadence and all that?
I like the idea of a fully integrated system from the bike manufacturer, but the truth is, Garmin are in the GPS business, Giant and the likes are in the business of building bikes. The tech that's in the Garmin systems are the result of decades of research and development - I've had Garmins for 15 years. Let each do what they do best, it's better for the end consumer.
Agree I wouldn't fancy putting my phone on the bars. Trying out a garmin forerunner watch at the moment and found it preety good. I like the Garmin 25 due to being small and compact but would of liked a bike specific small display like the shimano or bosch for Speed, distance, range etc. Garmin 25 or garmin smart watch for me I think.

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
fyi:

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Sorry, don't quite understand "While I don't think it's compatible with the bike - something like a Garmin 520 with a heart rate monitor will give you more information than any ebike system that I know of."?
Can a Garmin be used with a Giant 2019 ebike?

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Sorry, don't quite understand "While I don't think it's compatible with the bike - something like a Garmin 520 with a heart rate monitor will give you more information than any ebike system that I know of."?
Can a Garmin be used with a Giant 2019 ebike?

What I meant was that I wasn’t sure if there was Bluetooth or ant connection between the Giant ebike control system and the Garmin. There is for the Shimano Steps system...

Garmin® announces SHIMANO STEPS support on Edge® cycling computers to help enhance the eBike riding experience | Garmin Newsroom

Last edited:

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
If anyone in uk is after a garmin i have a mint as new Garmin edge 200’ boxed complete with stem/bar mount and an extra out front mount and usb lead...£55 posted

D9DEEADE-9130-4EC8-BD23-E6A16494085D.jpeg

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
Agree I wouldn't fancy putting my phone on the bars. Trying out a garmin forerunner watch at the moment and found it preety good. I like the Garmin 25 due to being small and compact but would of liked a bike specific small display like the shimano or bosch for Speed, distance, range etc. Garmin 25 or garmin smart watch for me I think.
Silato, I don't know if you've purchased anything yet, but I'm using the Lezyne Mega XL and it pairs successfully with the cadence meter on the bike. I also successfully paired the power metre but then you must first disconnect the Cadence sensor and restart both devices. The power sensor gives you cadence power and speed. I noticed however that the speed was way too fast when I compared it with another device and I was not successful in calibrating it nor in setting the crank lengths. I've therefore disconnected from the power meter, at least for now as I'm happy just with cadence and the fact that I can see the power left in my battery on my Lezyne.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles