Giant trance e+ 2019 range.

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
Hi mate i was talking to your brother about it today at peddlers and i had my bike with me and he couldnt connect to myn so its maybe something to do with your phones as myn connects fine to record rides but i carnt access the tunning bit for some reason. Giant want to get that app sorted as its crap atm and we have paid alot of money for the bikes too.
Have tried 4 different i phones as soon as the app opens it shuts straight back down again

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I stopped the giant app early to check battery %

View attachment 10721
Simple observation...cadence!!! You need to be aiming for 80’s or more...your grinding which uses battery
Totally agree. @Mikey1984, try the same ride again, but spin in the 80-90 range and see what you get. If your range is still below 30 miles then I would say you need to take it back to the shop for an investigation of the battery and powertrain.

Last edited:

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Totally agree. Try the same ride again, but spin in the 80-90 range and see what you get. If your range is still below 30 miles then I would say you need to take it back to the shop for an investigation of the battery and powertrain.
To prove this yesterday i rode 32.2 miles with 2500ft of climbing in seriously muddy conditions and still had 40% battery..avg cadence of 81 rpm

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
To prove this yesterday i rode 32.2 miles with 2500ft of climbing in seriously muddy conditions and still had 40% battery..avg cadence of 81 rpm
Yep, that sounds about right to me. However I do still think that (even once he stops grinding) he may still have an issue with either battery or charger; I wonder whether he has a faulty charger that is always only charging to the storage level of 60%, even when the buttons are set for a full charge? Trying a charge on a different charger would certainly be my first troubleshooting step if it was my bike.

Mikey1984

Oct 27, 2018
North east uk
Yep, that sounds about right to me. However I do still think that (even once he stops grinding) he may still have an issue with either battery or charger; I wonder whether he has a faulty charger that is always only charging to the storage level of 60%, even when the buttons are set for a full charge? Trying a charge on a different charger would certainly be my first troubleshooting step if it was my bike.
Yea I thought about this but my battery has a button on it to check it's charge and also I get a read out on the app.

Mikey1984

Oct 27, 2018
North east uk
Mikey theres only one thing to do.... lend it me for a week lol al get 50 miles outta it
Haha . Iv been thinking every time I put my battery on charge I put the charger on storage mode to charge it to 60% and then put it back on charge to full on the day I go out . So I wonder if my battery needs to be fully emptied and then fully charge to full.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Haha . Iv been thinking every time I put my battery on charge I put the charger on storage mode to charge it to 60% and then put it back on charge to full on the day I go out . So I wonder if my battery needs to be fully emptied and then fully charge to full.
I just charge it full everytime i get back from a ride tbh

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
I am charging my battery and 1of the 4 white lights is flashing and the green light on the charger is flashing the battery has been on charge over night, also what is the button for on the charger that goes red when you push it in? i have been reading the manuals but i don't think they explain very well.

Mikey1984

Oct 27, 2018
North east uk
I am charging my battery and 1of the 4 white lights is flashing and the green light on the charger is flashing the battery has been on charge over night, also what is the button for on the charger that goes red when you push it in? i have been reading the manuals but i don't think they explain very well.
Hi mate the button on the charger will turn orange when you press it thats to charge the battery to 60% its called storage mode. not sure why you only have 1 light flashing on your battery you may need to take it back as it doesnt sound right.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yea I thought about this but my battery has a button on it to check it's charge and also I get a read out on the app.
In that case try the test we suggested (same ride spinning at 80-90rpm) and if that doesn’t remedy the problem you will need to take it back to the seller for investigation.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Ps - How long does it take to charge the pack fully from near flat to “full”? That might give a hint as to whether there is a charging issue.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Is there a mathematical value to work this out?
Yes, if we know the capacity of the pack in amp hours (which we can calculate from the capacity in watt hours and nominal pack voltage) and the charge rate in amps of the charger it’s easy to estimate the time it should take to fully charge. If your actual time until the charger cuts out is significantly shorter than that it suggests there is an issue getting the charge into the pack, rather than an issue in the drivetrain that is causing increased power usage for some reason.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Hang on, I answered my own question in another thread previously on pretty much the exact same topic...! Sounds like anything significantly less than a 3h50 charge will indicate a charging issue...

Dissapointing ride - EMTB Forums

Manual here.... Pages 4-11 are on the charger and charging procedure, including the storage charge button on the smart charger.
Before you do that check the storage charge button is correctly set, then do a full charge and time it - according to the manual it should take around 3h50 from flat. Anything significantly less than that and you know there is a charging problem.

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
what is the fox rhythm 36 like on the trance E+2 pro...? cant find much info...
I'm a big fan of the coil conversion on my Intense Tracer, and looked into getting a conversion for my Trance, but the inner diameter is 34 not 36 so it will not fit and they do not make a kit for the 34 fox forks. So, with that said, after riding it around, I feel no need to upgrade my forks. Very plush and no issues. My wife isn't complaining about her Tracer forks either and she only weighs 120lbs.

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
Just got the ride control app sorted it was the bluetooth receiver in the control switch on the handle bars, thanks to Greg and the lads at Peddlers.

Mikey1984

Oct 27, 2018
North east uk
Do you fancy a ride out in the morning thinking of going over to Blakey Ridge bite to eat and come back. meet at 10am number 90 Enfield chase just steady away.
Sorry mate wish I could I'm working tomorrow. I will let you know when I'm next out .

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
Had my first full ride out today a lot of climbing into the wind but only used the 3rd light for 10minutes the rest was using lights 1& 2 got 28 miles before the battery was dead.what do you reckon ? i am only a novice rider and about 13 stone spinning as much as possible

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Had my first full ride out today a lot of climbing into the wind but only used the 3rd light for 10minutes the rest was using lights 1& 2 got 28 miles before the battery was dead.what do you reckon ? i am only a novice rider and about 13 stone spinning as much as possible
Im 13.4 stone...today we did an hard ride jacobs ladder in the peaks 22 miles over 3000ft of climbing all in eco &eco+...i had 33% battery left at the end

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles