GIANT TRANCE E+ 2019 BATTERY RANGE

Giantal

Jul 13, 2020
Coventry
Hi all,

I have just bought myself a Giant Trance E+3. I love the way it rides but have been really dissappointed so far in the battery range.

I took it to Cannock Chase on 100% and was told by the dealer that I should easily get 3 laps of the Monkey Trail (12 miles) out of it.

I went yesterday and after 1 lap (in Auto) I had 22% battery left. I am 90kg and very dissapointed.

Is this right? I have the 500kw battery (I know some now are being sold with the 635kw).

How do I take this up with Giant?

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
I've found that the auto mode uses a lot more battery than changing modes manualy (on a 2020 trance pro)

9.5 mile 1700ft elevation gain used 28% on manual
12.5 mile 2400ft elevation gain used 50% on auto

looks like auto has about 75% of the range of manual (for me, also around 90kg)

I think I can get around 30 miles / 4000+ ft elevation gain on a full charge

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Have you checked the motor assistance tuning in the Ride Control app?
My 19 Trance generally depletes the battery similarly to my riding buddy’s 20 Trance over the same course (his is in auto).
I have to say I didn’t really like auto mode much when I tried his... felt quite unnatural.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Let the battery have a few charge cycles before a serious range test. My friends Focus had pathetic range for the first few cycles but came in very well after 3 to 4 charges.

Also, are you certain your battery is fully charged when starting the ride? Giants have a storage charge mode that many new owners have accidentally invoked by pressing the button on the charger.

I typically get 15 miles or so from my 2019 trance riding between level 3 and 5 on tight technical single track, but can also extend the range easily to 35 -40 miles riding a proper bicycle path in eco.

It all depends, but based on your post, it looks like you are draining 78% in 4 miles, and that would indicate a problem for sure under "normal" usage conditions.

Giantal

Jul 13, 2020
Coventry
Let the battery have a few charge cycles before a serious range test. My friends Focus had pathetic range for the first few cycles but came in very well after 3 to 4 charges.

Also, are you certain your battery is fully charged when starting the ride? Giants have a storage charge mode that many new owners have accidentally invoked by pressing the button on the charger.

I typically get 15 miles or so from my 2019 trance riding between level 3 and 5 on tight technical single track, but can also extend the range easily to 35 -40 miles riding a proper bicycle path in eco.

It all depends, but based on your post, it looks like you are draining 78% in 4 miles, and that would indicate a problem for sure under "normal" usage conditions.
Thanks for this.

Its worrying that you can only do 35-40 Miles on a path in eco. the stats say it should do 100 miles!

preview.jpg

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Hi all,

I have just bought myself a Giant Trance E+3. I love the way it rides but have been really dissappointed so far in the battery range.

I took it to Cannock Chase on 100% and was told by the dealer that I should easily get 3 laps of the Monkey Trail (12 miles) out of it.

I went yesterday and after 1 lap (in Auto) I had 22% battery left. I am 90kg and very dissapointed.

Is this right? I have the 500kw battery (I know some now are being sold with the 635kw).

How do I take this up with Giant?

I have a 2019 model and that would use 20% of my battery. Using 1 and some 2 of the 5 power settings.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
I've got a 2020 Trance E+2 and have been using Auto mode heavily in the month I've had it. Yes, it eats battery but also gives full 360% assistance on steep climbs. Around my area (and a large part of the reason I bought an emtb) it's difficult to go in any direction without hitting hills and valleys frequently and I've suffered range anxiety at less than 20 miles travelled on some days of routes with repeated climbs.

However(!), last Friday I had a bit of a spill over a wet cattle grid and as a result was a bit sore on Saturday. Due to this, my ride on Saturday was canal path, road, canal path, country lanes, road, cycle track. 25 miles mostly in 'Basic' (2 lights lit) assistance and returned home with 57% battery remaining. This would give a 'Basic' range of ~60 miles which is pretty close to my expectations, I'm sure 'Eco' could yield 100+ mile range if it was dragging 10 stone instead of 15! :ROFLMAO:

My understanding is that each lap is 12 miles, so the dealer was suggesting 36 mile (+) range. Probably doable if you manage the modes and are used to getting the most out of your motor, probably not realistic in auto still learning to get the best out of the bike.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
I'm glad you're getting on a little better. I think the problem with these things is that they're almost too good. It's very tempting when you go for a ride to bang it in auto/high assist and have a blast, then after an hour and a half you're fresh as a daisy but the bike is drained. It takes a bit of experience and discipline to get the balance of 'enough' assistance but also a decent workout, that way your body and the bike deplete at a similar rate.

Giantal

Jul 13, 2020
Coventry
I think that’s bang on. Ideally that’s what auto mode should do. It seems it just is setup with too much assist. We need an “enough” auto mode.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I think that’s bang on. Ideally that’s what auto mode should do. It seems it just is setup with too much assist. We need an “enough” auto mode.

Edit the individual assistance modes via the app to suit. Auto mode uses modes 2 through to 4.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Where did you find the info that it's only using 2, 3 & 4? Seems a bit strange that would only select between 3 out of the 5 settings.
I read that in some sort of press release last year. I would imagine, and hope, as the software has developed (and this is Giant we’re talking about here...) they’d make the system a bit smarter than that. I came across a long term review recently that stated auto mode used up to 11 levels of assistance... so, who knows.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
I read that in some sort of press release last year. I would imagine, and hope, as the software has developed (and this is Giant we’re talking about here...) they’d make the system a bit smarter than that. I came across a long term review recently that stated auto mode used up to 11 levels of assistance... so, who knows.

Yes, the info on this seems a bit contradictory as I’ve read that auto went from modes 1 to 4 as well as the 11 levels stated by Giant. Then I’ve also read that adjusting the assistance levels makes a difference to the way Auto works, but elsewhere that it doesn’t.

Logic tells me that Auto uses the 11 micro assist levels independent of the adjustments made. On top of this, we have 2 bikes with the same motor and the auto assist seems to provide different levels of power although they are set up the same and have the same software versions. ??‍♂️

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Ok so it seemed to be the way I was riding. I went to do the same trail again using a higher cadence and manually choosing power rather than auto. Did the route with 60% left. It seems auto is a massive drain.

I have been told by LBS to use more cadence and higher gear to get more out of the battery. Didn’t realise I’d have to change the way I ride a bike....waiting for the 625KWh battery....

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I ride in the setting 1 eco with a 45k route and 450 mtre climb a couple of little 10 mtre sections I do in mode 2. It’s a 2019 model. I just wouldn’t ever use auto on the 2020 if I had it. As I ride to get an optimum heart rate work out over time and get a 1000 calorie work out. My mate uses a manual gravel bike and uses 1500 calories. But on this setting we get a very similar pace which keeps it fun.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I'm glad you're getting on a little better. I think the problem with these things is that they're almost too good. It's very tempting when you go for a ride to bang it in auto/high assist and have a blast, then after an hour and a half you're fresh as a daisy but the bike is drained. It takes a bit of experience and discipline to get the balance of 'enough' assistance but also a decent workout, that way your body and the bike deplete at a similar rate.
Well spoken mate

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles