Giant Trance display

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
So I have brought a Trance SX E+0 pro bike and I liked the idea of them ore basic RideControl, thought that it having no display was a good thing as less to damage. But I did find myself wanting to know the battery percentage. Yes this is a new bike so keen to know what is going on and over time I may care less as I get use to it. But I do not want to be stuck with zero battery away from the finish.

So has any one been down the root of looking what options are available for the Bluetooth set up ( 2019 bike so no ANT+ ) ? My Mates have there Levo battery percentage displayed on there Garmin smart watches. Yes I could have a phone holder and the app, but it is a bit chunky and would use lots of battery ( I think, though never tried it ).

Ideas ? What have you guys done ?

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
So I have brought a Trance SX E+0 pro bike and I liked the idea of them ore basic RideControl, thought that it having no display was a good thing as less to damage. But I did find myself wanting to know the battery percentage. Yes this is a new bike so keen to know what is going on and over time I may care less as I get use to it. But I do not want to be stuck with zero battery away from the finish.

So has any one been down the root of looking what options are available for the Bluetooth set up ( 2019 bike so no ANT+ ) ? My Mates have there Levo battery percentage displayed on there Garmin smart watches. Yes I could have a phone holder and the app, but it is a bit chunky and would use lots of battery ( I think, though never tried it ).

There have been 2 or 3 threads about this in the last few weeks.

Click on the "Forums" button at the top of the page, then the GIANT forum box.
Look down the list of posts and you should find them.

The only way to go for a 2019 bike is to get an older EVO display, compatible switch and brackets for approx £250.

I have the same model of bike as you, and I recently looked into this (my LBS talked to Giant UK about it for me) and they said that Ant+ on the latest controller is only there for possible future use, and it is not yet activated.

I decided that the up/downgrade was not worth it!

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis

If you pair your bike with a Lezyne bike computer it provides you with a battery bar on the main screen. You can also go into the menus and see the exact battery percentage but the effort would be a bit too much during a ride. On the older Lezyne Enhanced Super GPS the battery percentage is displayed on the main screen but I found the display was a bit small for my liking when I'm on challenging trails. Theoretically any GPS bike computer that pairs with your bike should be able to give you this info but my friend with Garmins were unable to connect to the cadence sensor which is required to pick up the battery power. You can also do it with the power and speed sensor but then your speed is not correct on the GPS device as it uses the speed provided by the bike and I haven't been able to calibrate it correctly and your power reading is just nonsense. So if you have a GPS bike computer that connects via Bluetooth, you can give it a try. First connect with the computer and then try connecting with the cadence sensor. I found sometimes you may have to switch the bike off and after starting to search for the cadence sensor switch the bike on. You will then be able to get your cadence on your bike computer and as a benefit the battery percentage will be displayed alongside the cadence sensor.

Like I said, it works on the Lezyne but I haven't heard of anybody yet that successfully got other devices to work like that.

This gives you a great bike computer with the added benefit of cadence and battery perc.

On the Lezyne Mega XL Enhanced GPS computer I only see a bar which is still better than the 5 led's. I'll attach photos of it for your info.

The first picture shows exact battery percentage in the pairing menu of the cadence sensor, the second shows the three leds on the left and the battery bar against the cadence sensor on the main screen of the Lezyne. You'll agree that the bar gives a more accurate reflection of battery charge state than the leds, as 3 out of 5 leds could easily mean 60% and not 40%.

I hope this helps you as I had the same issue when I first got the bike and didn't want to go for a display. This works exceptionally well for me, but to be honest now that I know my bike, I only look at the battery status after a ride and mostly as a measure of my fitness or rather the amount of power I personally out into a ride as opposed to doing a motorbike ride where the bike does everything for me. Enjoy your bike. It's an awesome bike. Just talk to me when you experience creaks as I've done my bit of searching and I think I'm a bit of an effort now on silencing creaks on these bikes. Mine's done almost 3000 kilos now and I've done a couple of upgrades to suspension and gearing. It's over a year old now and I ride regularly and it's super reliable.

IMG_20200220_113425.jpg

IMG_20200220_113322.jpg

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
Upgrade to 2020 RideControl One which in UK was £60. That gives you ANT+ so you can choose Garmin or Wahoo and pair sensors from bike to them to give you the data you want.

I have same bike, same year paired to Garmin 830.

ToneLop

Oct 15, 2022
San Francisco Bay Area
Upgrade to 2020 RideControl One which in UK was £60. That gives you ANT+ so you can choose Garmin or Wahoo and pair sensors from bike to them to give you the data you want.

I have same bike, same year paired to Garmin 830.
This is good to know for the newer RideControl. Would the battery percentage on a 2022 Giant Trance X Advanced EMTB show on the display of a Garmin or Wahoo via ANT+? Giant recently released their collaboration with Stages the Dash M200, so I'm wondering if it might require the Dash for better integration? I think I'd prefer the Garmin if it were all the same.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles