Giant Ride One Control

Montana

Oct 20, 2019
New Zealand
Hi there! I'm a newbie to the EMTB forum. I have owned a 2019 Giant Trance E+1 Pro for the past 6 months and am loving it.
I managed to damage my ride control unit today after a fall so went searching for any info on how to pull it apart to try and fix it hence the reason I ended up here. Did not find anything so went ahead and managed to pull it apart without damaging it any further.
Here's how;
1) Pulled the battery out and removed the control unit from the handlebars.
2) Removed 3 screws under the unit.
3) This was the most difficult part. Pried it open by using the sharp side of a knife so that the force was evenly distributed. I didn't want to compromise the seal to keep it waterproof. It opened nice and easy. No clips just some kind of glue/silicone holding it together!

Phew! Now to find someone who can replace the power up button on the board!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Probably not something that’s user fixable. I realise that because it was damaged due to an accident you can’t claim warranty on that part, but doing a DIY repair on that might void your warranty on the battery and motor - which should still be covered being only six months old.

I would ask your local Giant dealer first about availability of that part. It might be cheaper than you think. All the best.

Montana

Oct 20, 2019
New Zealand
Probably not something that’s user fixable. I realise that because it was damaged due to an accident you can’t claim warranty on that part, but doing a DIY repair on that might void your warranty on the battery and motor - which should still be covered being only six months old.

I would ask your local Giant dealer first about availability of that part. It might be cheaper than you think. All the best.
Yea cheers for that GrandPaBrogan! I managed to get it repaired! ?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Yea cheers for that GrandPaBrogan! I managed to get it repaired! ?
Good to hear Montana. I’m old school and actually have a strong appreciation for resourcefulness.

Apparently there was a production run of faulty controllers that suffered from water ingress which causes all sorts of malfunctions. I pointed this out to my LBS before buying my Trance e+ and they said they are aware of this and have found that some fail but most don’t. I was assured that they would replace mine immediately if any problems occur and that there are replacement units readily available because of this known issue.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Out of interest, can any you other guys feel a power increase difference from power setting 3 then going on to 4 and 5?

There’s hardly any on my Trance e+

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Out of interest, can any you other guys feel a power increase difference from power setting 3 then going on to 4 and 5?

There’s hardly any on my Trance e+
I definitely notice the extra power on steep climbs but not so much on flat ground.

When traction is at a premium, like on off-chamber technical sections, I often have to back down the power to avoid spinning up the rear wheel, so I know there is a difference, but it's nothing like the drastic change in power output between Trail and Boost on the Shimano.

Also, try switching between different power settings at lower cadences. If my memory serves me correctly, I can really feel the difference at lower cadence.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles