Giant Ride Control Dash 2022

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I'll admit that this is a complex problem. You need to work out if this is a Garmin setup issue or a Giant sensor issue. I would open the Giant App on your phone and record the odometer reading (total distance travelled on the bike) ride a route that you have measured out on Google Maps, say a distance from 5-10km. Recheck the Giant app odometer at the end and then see if it matches roughly the distance from Google Maps and then compare with the Garmin distance. What matches is OK, the other is your problem. Obviously the further you ride the greater the disparity should be. Other suggestions, delete all sensors from the Garmin and then reinstall them. Possibility - the Garmin is using GPS data alone without references to wheel size? A speed sensor may just confuse things more at this stage...

If you could borrow one and delete all sensors but that one then see if that helps you... But?

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I'll admit that this is a complex problem. You need to work out if this is a Garmin setup issue or a Giant sensor issue. I would open the Giant App on your phone and record the odometer reading (total distance travelled on the bike) ride a route that you have measured out on Google Maps, say a distance from 5-10km. Recheck the Giant app odometer at the end and then see if it matches roughly the distance from Google Maps and then compare with the Garmin distance. What matches is OK, the other is your problem. Obviously the further you ride the greater the disparity should be. Other suggestions, delete all sensors from the Garmin and then reinstall them. Possibility - the Garmin is using GPS data alone without references to wheel size? A speed sensor may just confuse things more at this stage...

If you could borrow one and delete all sensors but that one then see if that helps you... But?
THanks for your help Kiwi Giant, I really appreciate it Will let you know how I get on eventually!!

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand

Latest test result!!! Today rode using google maps to a point 12km on flat straightish road to Renwick P. O. Ride Control Ap (total mileage 1158/1170 = 12 km diff) Giant wired computer = 12.1km. Had turned off Garmin Edge for outward journey.
Journey home same route. Ride control 1183 km minus 1171 = 12 km. Giant wired computer 12.1 km again.
Activated Garmin Edge for homeward journey = 11.1km.
I may be wrong, but am I correct in thinking the problem is with the Garmin Edge set-up? It is consistently around 10% 'low'
Tomorrow, weather permitting, I will uninstall the speed/cadence 'sensors' and see what happens on our group ride..
Just as well I am retired!!!!!

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Have a look at what sensors the Edge has loaded for your ebike, I had a problem with my RideControl (the handlebar switch/controller) and when this was replaced I initially had no readings for anything (battery level/speed/distance/cadence....) on my Edge 830 and had to add the new ebike sensor (it was a different sensor number for the replacement controller). Initially on the first ride I got speed & distance (obviously coming from GPS data) but no cadence. I had to add another speed & cadence sensor to the 830 for my ebike profile. Just check each sensor in your ebike profile to make sure that wheel circumference is not hiding in another sensor as well as the one you have been altering circumference on and perhaps being picked up from there.

Have you connected to your ebike via the iPhone or Android cellphone app (Giant RideControl App downloaded from Apple App Store or Google Play Store)? The bike connects to the app via Bluetooth and the app has an odometer in settings which details the total distance the bike has ridden so noting a record of this is another way to crosscheck actual distance ridden. It does look as though the error is with the Garmin.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Right! Now I've got my Stance back from Giant Wellington (a story for another time) I can confirm that that two sensors in the Garmin Edge setup have the ability to set wheel circumference size. Have a look at what sensors your Edge has loaded for your ebike to confirm.

There is an eBike sensor for the controller, mine has a bike symbol with a lightning bolt in the rear wheel. Wheel circumference can be set up in here, as well, I have a speed & cadence sensor my eBike with another icon. that also has the ability to set wheel circumference.

Make sure that your wheel circumference set up in both places.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Right! Now I've got my Stance back from Giant Wellington (a story for another time) I can confirm that that two sensors in the Garmin Edge setup have the ability to set wheel circumference size. Have a look at what sensors your Edge has loaded for your ebike to confirm.

There is an eBike sensor for the controller, mine has a bike symbol with a lightning bolt in the rear wheel. Wheel circumference can be set up in here, as well, I have a speed & cadence sensor my eBike with another icon. that also has the ability to set wheel circumference.

Make sure that your wheel circumference set up in both places.
That's really helpful mate. I have all solid icons which means the following are connected: Heart Rate Sensor, Power meter, speed sensor, cadence sensor and Edge Remote.
What I don't have is the e-bike icon you refer to as a bike symbol with the lightening bolt in the rear wheel. This may be the solution, but how I get it up to set wheel circumference has me baffled at the moment.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
It looks like you don't have the eBike controller/motor paired to the Garmin. When paired the ebike sensor will show as a number along with the an ebike symbol, mine is named 5972 but prior to my Contoller being changed under warranty it was another number so yours will likely be different. The Speed & Cadence Sensor also shows with this number but has the Speed & Cadence symbols. In the Sensor menu go to add sensor and then switch the bike on, it should find the sensor or you can add through the ebike menu. You'll know yo have the correct sensor because when you look at sensor details it will have the battery info.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
It looks like you don't have the eBike controller/motor paired to the Garmin. When paired the ebike sensor will show as a number along with the an ebike symbol, mine is named 5972 but prior to my Contoller being changed under warranty it was another number so yours will likely be different. The Speed & Cadence Sensor also shows with this number but has the Speed & Cadence symbols. In the Sensor menu go to add sensor and then switch the bike on, it should find the sensor or you can add through the ebike menu. You'll know yo have the correct sensor because when you look at sensor details it will have the battery info.
I am delighted to report that my Garmin Edge 130 is finally showing the correct distance/speed. Thank you for your guidance and your patience. As you advised, there was a 2nd wheel circumference adjustment option, hiding in the Power sensor option which suddenly appeared when I followed your advice in your 2nd to last sentence above.
As mentioned earlier, I don't need all the tricky stuff available to me, just having the heart rate monitor and distance and speed accurate is all an older fart like me needs.
I'm now as happy as a ferret in a fowl run.
I owe you a beer or two, or if you are like me, a good Auzzie Shiraz or two. ( I am a born Kiwi )
PS: My wife will be delighted to!!!!!
Thanks again Kiwi Giant

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Great news, now set up one of the fields so that it shows your battery percentage, this is one of the best features of owning the Garmin is an accurate battery % remaining. It's saved me heaps of "range anxiety". Yes good SA Shiraz.

Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles