Giant Ride Control Dash 2022

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I don't know about the rest of the world, but I am having problems finding an email address for Giant Customer Service in NZ. I need help!!!!!
My new 2022 Giant Trance X e +1 Pro has a top tube control (Ride Control Go)
Left Handlebar grip has Ride Control Ergo 3.
I wish to know which is the best handlebar mount 'computer'. Is it the Giant Ride Control Dash? Or is it the Giant Ride Dash Evo?
I presume both will show cadence.
The Cycle Shop I purchased the Giant from cannot assist, they don't stock either the EVO or the Dash..
Because of a reasonably serious heart condition, I need to know my heart rate when climbing, so I don't put too much pressure on my heart. (Suggestion by my Cardiologist).
A couple of years ago, I purchased a Garmin (model HRM1G) , heart rate monitor (chest strap type) which requires Ant+ connectivity, so this needs to be compatible.
Appreciate any advice that may help.

LielyF

Apr 13, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
I tried installing the RideDash EVO but so far have not got it to work (I have the same bike as you). I have seen it working on the exact same bike but on a Facebook thread. So I assume it must be possible but maybe a dealer thing to get it working.

Ridedash EVO on a 2022 Giant Trance/Reign E+? - EMTB Forums

1654058948788.png
(not my bike)

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
There is no Giant Customer Service in NZ, there is a Giant shop in Wellington and there is a Giant NZ Facebook page, I believe all Giant support and shipments are done out of Australia. I imagine if you want to connect to Garmin (model HRM1G) heart rate monitor (chest strap type) then your best bet is a Garmin device like an Edge.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I tried installing the RideDash EVO but so far have not got it to work (I have the same bike as you). I have seen it working on the exact same bike but on a Facebook thread. So I assume it must be possible but maybe a dealer thing to get it working.

View attachment 89295 (not my bike)
Thanks, pity there is so much confusion over this issue, as it takes a little of the excitement away from the thrill of a new e-mtb.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
There is no Giant Customer Service in NZ, there is a Giant shop in Wellington and there is a Giant NZ Facebook page, I believe all Giant support and shipments are done out of Australia. I imagine if you want to connect to Garmin (model HRM1G) heart rate monitor (chest strap type) then your best bet is a Garmin device like an Edge.
You have been really helpful, thanks.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire

View attachment 89295 (not my bike)
Strange, on our 2021 Fathom, it was a simple job of unplugging the controller cable from the joint in the top of downtube and plugging in the display, then reconnectiing the controller to the other lead coming off the display. Just had to be careful stuffing the cable back into the frame.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Apple watch does a good job of monitoring Heart Rate. Works for everything: walking, riding any bike, rowing, running, etc. :cool:

LielyF

Apr 13, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Strange, on our 2021 Fathom, it was a simple job of unplugging the controller cable from the joint in the top of downtube and plugging in the display, then reconnectiing the controller to the other lead coming off the display. Just had to be careful stuffing the cable back into the frame.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. But no joy. Could be a faulty RideDash EVO but I doubt it.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I
Yeah, that's exactly what I did. But no joy. Could be a faulty RideDash EVO but I doubt it.
I can't remember if I had to update the bike's firmware with the app afterwards 🤔
I know you select what's displayed using the app .

Mattnzl

Aug 5, 2020
NZ
If you value your health, do NOT rely on any Giant supplied device. While I love their bikes (have 2019 Trance & 2022 Reign), anything software/UI related is atrocious. I have a fairly cheap Huawei watch that will buzz on my wrist if heart rate goes outside normal parameters.

hyfly25c

Jun 19, 2022
Black Forest - Germany
Well - if you already have a Garmin strap, why not just stick with that and get e.g. an Edge Bike computer - various models.
Maybe you find a good used one even?
This should fairly easily connect with your bike as well.
(here in Germany there is loads of almost new devices on several second hand portals - that's where I get all my stuff)

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Well - if you already have a Garmin strap, why not just stick with that and get e.g. an Edge Bike computer - various models.
Maybe you find a good used one even?
This should fairly easily connect with your bike as well.
(here in Germany there is loads of almost new devices on several second hand portals - that's where I get all my stuff)
Thanks for that tip. I have just purchased the 130 online. May have to fit a cadence sensor to the pedal, but getting the HRM working is the main objective

hyfly25c

Jun 19, 2022
Black Forest - Germany
Typically data like speed & cadence and also e-bike specific information (battery level, etc.) can be displayed on the garmin as well.
Maybe you have to load the connect-IQ e-bike data field; see separate post on that in this forum. Unfortunately e-bike powermeter does not give correct values on the garmin units (which is one I am missing really badly 😞 )

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Typically data like speed & cadence and also e-bike specific information (battery level, etc.) can be displayed on the garmin as well.
Maybe you have to load the connect-IQ e-bike data field; see separate post on that in this forum. Unfortunately e-bike powermeter does not give correct values on the garmin units (which is one I am missing really badly 😞 )
Cheers mate

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Thanks for that tip. I have just purchased the 130 online. May have to fit a cadence sensor to the pedal, but getting the HRM working is the main objective
The Garmin Edge 130 you have purchased has ANT+ connectivity so it will pair with your Trance, it should then display your speed, cadence, power level, battery level, distance travelled, time... No external sensors are required as the Giant is already generating this info and the the 130 displays this data, things like cadence, speed are all internal. Basically there are a multitude of fields that you can set up on the Edge 130. Once paired, it will connect to the bike automatically whenever bike is on. I recommend the modestly priced Garmin Edge Remote for ease of use on the handlebar while riding.

Last edited:

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
The Garmin Edge 130 you have purchased has ANT+ connectivity so it will pair with your Trance, it should then display your speed, cadence, power level, battery level, distance travelled, time... No external sensors are required as the Giant is already generating this info and the the 130 displays this data, things like cadence, speed are all internal. Basically there are a multitude of fields that you can set up on the Edge 130. Once paired, it will connect to the bike automatically whenever bike is on. I recommend the modesty priced Garmin Edge Remote for ease of use on the handlebar while riding.

Thanks for that information, really helpful. I live in Blenheim if you are ever down/up this way.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
The Garmin Edge 130 you have purchased has ANT+ connectivity so it will pair with your Trance, it should then display your speed, cadence, power level, battery level, distance travelled, time... No external sensors are required as the Giant is already generating this info and the the 130 displays this data, things like cadence, speed are all internal. Basically there are a multitude of fields that you can set up on the Edge 130. Once paired, it will connect to the bike automatically whenever bike is on. I recommend the modestly priced Garmin Edge Remote for ease of use on the handlebar while riding.

I got the remote for my 530 as well. Great for keeping your hands on the grips!

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I'm in Wellington. Yell out if you need some help setting up the Garmin.
I'm in Wellington. Yell out if you need some help setting up the Garmin.
Kiwi Giant, I’m like the All Black coach. I need help please!!!!!!!

My New Garmin Edge 130 does not appear to show correct speed, distance etc.

I have a new Giant Trance X +1 e-MTB 29er. No speed or cadence sensor fitted.

I fitted a new Giant Axact 6 wired cycle computer when I purchased the Trance X in May. Computer cost NZD$29.99.

With my son assisting, I precisely measured the circumference of the tyre wearing my riding gear (including day pack), seated with full weight on the bike. Three full revolutions then divided by 3. Tested the accuracy of the computer by riding from the 4000 metre mark at the local cycling track at Athletic Park.. The computer was accurate to within 3-4 metres over 4000 kilometres. My power assist shuts down at 32 KPH. The Giant computer confirms that by reading 32 kph when power assist shuts down.

I do not have a cadence or speed sensor as I understand I don't need them as the Giant has ANT +.

Problem is: My Garmin appears to conflict with my Giant computer. Yesterday I rode to the top of the Redwood Pass and back. Giant computer shows 36.9 kilometres ridden. Garmin only shows 33.49 km. I'm no mathematician, but that indicates approximately a 10% error. Current speed also reads approx. 10% lower too. E.g. I riding at 50 kph according to Giant computer, but Garmin is showing approx. 3-4 kph lower.

I have tested the Garmin on the same 4000 metre cycling track and it is way off ( forgot to write difference down)

Any idea why the Garmin appears to be inaccurate ?

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
The Garmin automatically sets wheel size based on a number of rides, but unfortunately the software is crap. As Dave said you will manually need to set wheel circumference in the field settings:

Edge 130 Series, 520 Series, 530, 820, 830, 1000, 1030 Series, 1040 Series, and Explore Series
  1. Select Menu or
    3 lines
  2. Select Settings (some devices skip this step).
  3. Select Sensors.
  4. Select the previously paired speed sensor.
  5. Select Sensor Details.
  6. Select Wheel Size.
  7. Select Manual.
  8. Enter in wheel size in millimeters (mm).
I would use 2366 for a Maxxis Assegai 29x2.6". There are a number of wheel size calculators online so check with those for your tyre size and come up with a good average figure.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
The Garmin automatically sets wheel size based on a number of rides, but unfortunately the software is crap. As Dave said you will manually need to set wheel circumference in the field settings:

Edge 130 Series, 520 Series, 530, 820, 830, 1000, 1030 Series, 1040 Series, and Explore Series
  1. Select Menu or
    3 lines
  3. Select Sensors.
  6. Select Wheel Size.
  7. Select Manual.
I would use 2366 for a Maxxis Assegai 29x2.6". There are a number of wheel size calculators online so check with those for your tyre size and come up with a good average figure.
You are a good man. Have set it on 2366 for tomorrow's Marlborough Geriatrics MTB ride. Will let you know result. Thanks so much for your help. Will get in touch and maybe have a coffee when my wife and I cross over the water and head to hometown of Napier later in the year.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand

1. Select Menu or
    3 lines
  3. Select Sensors.
  6. Select Wheel Size.
  7. Select Manual.
My brain is drained!! Wednesday's ride no different. Garmin 9-10% out over 22 km, half hills, half on the flat. I have reset the wheel size as you have kindly indicated. Now tested 2366, 2325 and 2305, makes absolutely no difference. FYI here are the steps I took. Main Menu, scroll down to sensors -enter. Scroll down to Speed/Cadence sensors (14711) - enter. ( Enable is in the on position,) Select- Options. Wheel size say 2366 - enter. Heading Wheel Calibration shows -Manual options wheel size 2366. Return to Main menu.
I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to computers, but I wonder if fitting a Speed Sensor 2 would make any difference or would it just be a waste of money..
If it was only 2 0r 3 % out I wouldn't bother, but 9-10% is unacceptable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles