Giant Reign e+ Mount Bolt Issue (Yamaha Motor)

Mjbiker

May 10, 2021
South Korea
Hi all,

I have been riding the awesome Giant Reign e+1 Pro (made 2020, purchased new 2021)! It's been a great fun bike both uphill and dowhill. The only complaint I have is listed below and I wonder if any of fellow Giant e-riders here have had similar experience to share.

After riding about 200 km, a creaking noise developped in the Syncdrive/Yamaha motor mount on the chainring side. Did lots of research online since Giant dealer didn't know what's causing it. A helpful Youtube video showed the source of problem and how to fix it by greasing the steel bushing/insert into the aluminum frame. The noise disappeared thankfully. The bike just passed 800 km with no issue or noise.

However during the fix, I noticed that the threads on the Torx 30T bolt were smoothened. Checked the other bolts out of precaution, the other short bolt which is located on the chainring side also showed similar issue. The long bolts on the oppsite side are fine (there are total of 4 motor mount bolts).

I reached to Giant dealer/distributor but they were no help. They said there is no recall. They only offered to provide one short bolt to replace one of the the worn ones. I replaced the other worn bolt with an excatly same aftermarket bolt. The issue is gone!

My guess is that either the original bolts were out of spec (soft) or the vibration/wear of dry ungreased steel bushing deformed the threads over time which also caused creaking noise.

I'd appreciate any thoughts here. Hopefully Giant would notice and fixe the issue on this great bike. I attached some pictures as reference.

Thanks,
MJ

20210509_150623.jpg

20210428_185924.jpg

20210429_093128.jpg

Last edited:

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Thanks mate, very helpful information. Can you please provide the exact specs of these bolts?

Last edited:

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Interesting. On my Fathom, the bolts go right through the motor with a nut on the other side. I assumed they'd all be like that.

Mjbiker

May 10, 2021
South Korea
if the bolt looks like that, I'd be concerned about the state of the thread on the motor
Checked the threads of the motor mount bushing on the same day, they were fine. That makes think that the bolt was out of spec and soft (improper heat treatment maybe?).
if the bolt looks like that, I'd be concerned about the state of the thread on the motor

Mjbiker

May 10, 2021
South Korea
Interesting. On my Fathom, the bolts go right through the motor with a nut on the other side. I assumed they'd all be like that.
It's a 4-bolt mounting system. Two long and larger diameter bolts on the non drive train side, and two short and thinner bolts on the chainring side. The latter develop issues.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
How did you get the replacement bolts? Can you please share a link? :D
And what torque settings did you use?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mjbiker

May 10, 2021
South Korea
A local shop ordered it for me :) The mechanic doesn't remember the exact spec but, he thinks it was a Torx T30 head with M6 1 mm pitch. Regarding torue settings, he used the same torque as pivot bolt on the Maestro linkage which is written on the bolt.
Just a word of caution, measure the bolt dimensions before ordering a replacement since it may be different than mine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles