Giant Reign E+2 freehub sheared

Nemesis

Sep 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys, just wanted to add some information online for any future reference and archiving from my current misfortune. I did read through the other Trance E freehub failure thread. I'm 12 charge cycles in with my 2020 Reign E2, and it's been alot of fun.

However, the other day, on a decently steep uphill, I was in the lowest gear with smartassist mode, when i thought my chain snapped. The chain had derailed between my gear and wheel spokes. Once I got the chain back on, the pedals were free spinning and realized it was probably my freehub. I haven't seen any pictures in the other thread, so I figured I'd throw some up of mine here for reference.

You'll see that each of the 3 pawls are sheared off, and you can see how much material used to be there, circled in red. My inner hub splines are fine, since i'm assuming it's a hardened metal.

I've reached out to my local Giant dealer to have this part warrantied, however Giant told them that freehubs are 2-6 weeks out. Interesting time frame. Must be a pandemic or something.

So now the question is, does anybody know what part cross references with this proprietary "Giant eTracker Boost" freehub? I don't mind paying for a new freehub body while my warranty part arrives ... I just want to get back to riding. Went to a couple local LBS's and non of the DT Swiss' they had on hand matched this freehub, and there's nothing to know what freehub it is. The numbers on the hub don't yield any results on google, from what i can tell.

unnadmed.jpg

unnsamed.jpg

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
When it happened to me on my old full-E I bought a set of pawls from dt-swiss and they fitted well. (Only the spring was smaller)

Nemesis

Sep 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I've had a hard time figuring out what pawls to get. My local LBS had some spare pawls, but they were too big. Do you happen to have a link to the DT swiss pawls you tried, Dgedge?

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
Remember : this ref was ok on a Giant hub for a 2017 full-E, I hope it is still the same with 2020' bikes. (On your picture I recognize the Shimano micro-spline FW and the pawls look the same as mine).

Nemesis

Sep 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Not to worry I won't hold you to it, but I was able to find a set of those DT swiss pawls on Amazon. There seems to be only one kind and there isn't any sizing distinguishers for the pawls which make it a bit difficult. If they don't work, I'll simply return it and continue to wait for my warranty part. Will update post when I receive the pawls.

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
Remember : this ref was ok on a Giant hub for a 2017 full-E, I hope it is still the same with 2020' bikes. (On your picture I recognize the Shimano micro-spline FW and the pawls look the same as mine).
That isn't microspline freehub. That's casual HG freehub. That is the same hub (Formula) like in 2019 Trance, Reign has Sram NX Cassette 11-50 on HG freehub. But it does not make any issue, with that, Formula hubs, are the weakest point of all bike...

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
That isn't microspline freehub. That's casual HG freehub. That is the same hub (Formula) like in 2019 Trance, Reign has Sram NX Cassette 11-50 on HG freehub. But it does not make any issue, with that, Formula hubs, are the weakest point of all bike...
the guys problem is with the pawls if you can answer his question answer it

Nemesis

Sep 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Paul G - those look like the slit where the spring ring goes is offset from the center, not sure if those would work

Darius - I figured he didn't mean the micro spline, but it seems to be the older shimano style spline type. I'm still learning about different types of spline "standards" so correct me if I'm wrong.

Separately, a couple of different LBS's have suggested that Giant's proprietary hubs are made by DT swiss. All speculation however, which has made finding a replacement on my own difficult. Reached out to Giant US yesterday and they confirmed the 2-6 week timeframe for the replacement warranty part...:rolleyes:

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
Hey guys, just wanted to add some information online for any future reference and archiving from my current misfortune. I did read through the other Trance E freehub failure thread. I'm 12 charge cycles in with my 2020 Reign E2, and it's been alot of fun.

However, the other day, on a decently steep uphill, I was in the lowest gear with smartassist mode, when i thought my chain snapped. The chain had derailed between my gear and wheel spokes. Once I got the chain back on, the pedals were free spinning and realized it was probably my freehub. I haven't seen any pictures in the other thread, so I figured I'd throw some up of mine here for reference.

You'll see that each of the 3 pawls are sheared off, and you can see how much material used to be there, circled in red. My inner hub splines are fine, since i'm assuming it's a hardened metal.

I've reached out to my local Giant dealer to have this part warrantied, however Giant told them that freehubs are 2-6 weeks out. Interesting time frame. Must be a pandemic or something.

So now the question is, does anybody know what part cross references with this proprietary "Giant eTracker Boost" freehub? I don't mind paying for a new freehub body while my warranty part arrives ... I just want to get back to riding. Went to a couple local LBS's and non of the DT Swiss' they had on hand matched this freehub, and there's nothing to know what freehub it is. The numbers on the hub don't yield any results on google, from what i can tell.

View attachment 41347

View attachment 41348
if you look at one of my replies i`ve put a link to HALO
i`ve got full e 1 with the tracker hubs i remember servicing the hub but cant
remember whether i changed the pawls.
one thing i did find wrong was the tension of the spring allowing the pawls
to lay flat and not engage fully.
i sorted this by using a heavier spring from a keyring.
the way it works is the pawls are on a cam and the better the spring
the more they will engage.
also a lot louder.refrain from too much grease

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
Ok pals, back to the topic... about freehub body, very good choice has Commencal e-store.
Looking at the shape of cutting on back of freehub I gues two of them shoul be fit:
1. Standard HG - HG Freehub
2. Microspline HG - Microspline freehub

Standard HG cost about 45 Eur, and that is some kind of solution... Formula hubs are always very poor with spare parts.

Nemesis

Sep 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
if you look at one of my replies i`ve put a link to HALO
i`ve got full e 1 with the tracker hubs i remember servicing the hub but cant
remember whether i changed the pawls.
one thing i did find wrong was the tension of the spring allowing the pawls
to lay flat and not engage fully.
i sorted this by using a heavier spring from a keyring.
the way it works is the pawls are on a cam and the better the spring
the more they will engage.
also a lot louder.refrain from too much grease

Gotcha, I'll keep these things in mind! I did read in a separate thread that too much grease causes the pawls to stick in place and can cause them to chip when it has partial engagement, so i'll be sure to not apply too much.

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire

View attachment 41347

View attachment 41348
nemisis just blown the pics up and they dont look like they are broken to me
looks like a lot of wear on them (and not even)
looks like the freehub is not seating right on the hub ?
is there a spacer stopping it from seating?
sort this first before you get some new ones or they will go the same
how old is it?

Nemesis

Sep 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Ok pals, back to the topic... about freehub body, very good choice has Commencal e-store.
Looking at the shape of cutting on back of freehub I gues two of them shoul be fit:
1. Standard HG - HG Freehub
2. Microspline HG - Microspline freehub

Standard HG cost about 45 Eur, and that is some kind of solution... Formula hubs are always very poor with spare parts.

Hmm, neither of those look to be the spline style on my freehub. I believe this is the style of mine.

Shimano XT M770 Freehub Body | Jenson USA

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
Paul G - those look like the slit where the spring ring goes is offset from the center, not sure if those would work

Darius - I figured he didn't mean the micro spline, but it seems to be the older shimano style spline type. I'm still learning about different types of spline "standards" so correct me if I'm wrong.

Separately, a couple of different LBS's have suggested that Giant's proprietary hubs are made by DT swiss. All speculation however, which has made finding a replacement on my own difficult. Reached out to Giant US yesterday and they confirmed the 2-6 week timeframe for the replacement warranty part...:rolleyes:

No problem mate, this forum like the other is for taking knowlege about all bike stuff ;)
About DT Swiss hubs, Giant as far as I know don't use DT on E-bikes... they trying to replace on warranty on they standard hubs, but many people menioned that after 2nd break of hub, they sometimes accept to replace to DT Swiss f.e. 350.

Nemesis

Sep 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
nemisis just blown the pics up and they dont look like they are broken to me
looks like a lot of wear on them (and not even)
looks like the freehub is not seating right on the hub ?
is there a spacer stopping it from seating?
sort this first before you get some new ones or they will go the same
how old is it?

The bike is practically new. 12 charge cycles. Take a look at the first picture, I've circled the parts in red where you can see how much material there used to be on the pawl.

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
Hmm, neither of those look to be the spline style on my freehub. I believe this is the style of mine.

Shimano XT M770 Freehub Body | Jenson USA
The only diffrence is that on Your splines are cutted, and on that from commencal, are full, but they work the same. Look more on the back of freehub body, rear looks very simmilar. I'm thinkig to convert my Trance e+ 2 Pro 2019 to 1x12 and order only freehub with microspline, because I have brand new SLX spare cassette... but spending 75euro to blind test... hmm I don't think so ;)

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire

View attachment 41347

View attachment 41348
found something else

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire

View attachment 41347

View attachment 41348

View attachment 41347

View attachment 41348
sorry bud cant help you any more.
before i leave you all to it ask the question
when steel sheers its not uniform
all your pawls are identical and uniform (as in worn)in shape
and you would have told us all you found the three
incy wincy little pawls in the bottom when you took the freehub off
or better still a pic
i`ve given you the links for pawls and i think the site
do all the freehubs as well
i`ll give you the link again
cant help you any more bud lifes too short

Nemesis

Sep 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
The only diffrence is that on Your splines are cutted, and on that from commencal, are full, but they work the same. Look more on the back of freehub body, rear looks very simmilar. I'm thinkig to convert my Trance e+ 2 Pro 2019 to 1x12 and order only freehub with microspline, because I have brand new SLX spare cassette... but spending 75euro to blind test... hmm I don't think so ;)

I just went and looked at my cassette and you're absolutely right, the split spline style and non-split works the same against the cassette. Learn something new everyday! I have a 12 speed cassette, I'm guessing it has to be 12 speed specific hub? I had read somewhere that 10/11s hubs work with 12 speed cassettes, but that doesn't sound right to me....

Nemesis

Sep 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
sorry bud cant help you any more.
before i leave you all to it ask the question
or better still a pic
i`ve given you the links for pawls and i think the site
do all the freehubs as well
i`ll give you the link again
cant help you any more bud lifes too short

That's the pawl service kit I ordered last night after Dgedge's recommendation. Thanks for your help thus far.

Nemesis

Sep 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA

I do see what you mean now. There weren't broken chunks found when i pulled the freehub, because like you said all 3 pawls are uniformly worn down, except the spiked material left on the ends. ("sheared" in my title was a poor choice of word)
I looked, and there is no spacer stopping contact, however, I am able to push it in further to make the remaining material make contact and it bites down on the ratchet. What's interesting is that this bike only has 12 charge cycles, so I'm not certain what caused it to wear that much of the pawls so quickly. Maybe a manufacturing defect with the material used? no clue

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
I do see what you mean now. There weren't broken chunks found when i pulled the freehub, because like you said all 3 pawls are uniformly worn down, except the spiked material left on the ends. ("sheared" in my title was a poor choice of word)
I looked, and there is no spacer stopping contact, however, I am able to push it in further to make the remaining material make contact and it bites down on the ratchet. What's interesting is that this bike only has 12 charge cycles, so I'm not certain what caused it to wear that much of the pawls so quickly. Maybe a manufacturing defect with the material used? no clue
its not a defect ,in engineering its called sacrificial
if you had both items hardened then one or both would break
one is made to wear
last reply

Nemesis

Sep 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
its not a defect ,in engineering its called sacrificial
if you had both items hardened then one or both would break
one is made to wear
last reply

I can understand that one component will wear over time. But this soon into my ownership of the bike? too sacrificial if you ask me, lol.

Why do you announce that you are limiting your responses on an open forum? just curious. I thought we were all here for discussion, to bounce ideas and thoughts off one another and help those in the same community :unsure: thanks for your input thus far

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
I don't want to open another topic, but I did order a Bontrager freehub body for formula hubs, like this:
Bontrager MSC-148A Microspline
And we will see if it will fit to Trance E+ 2 Pro 2019 rear Formula hub. I will report that if You don't mind ;)
I will try to convert to 1x12 with 10-51 Shimano cassette and SLX 7100 derallieur + XT shifter that left me in the garage from my old Giant Trance 29er.

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
Hi guys, unfortunately, Bontrager freehub body does not fit. There is different axle diameter, and there is no chance to even slide in on hub. But always is an another path, and I have just installed 11-51 Sunrace 12spd cassette and XT shifter and factory XT M8000, and all works well. I bought also SLX derallieur, but I am waiting for new hanger, because M8000 is on direct mount. But XT RD-M8000 SGS can get so big cassette w/o any problem. Diff beetween 11-46 is quite big, far better smooth, each cogs specially on lower gears are closer, and going uphills does not make so big diffrence like on standard 11-46 (where on two higher gears are 9 teeth diff).
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-22 at 12.56.27.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles