Giant reign 2022 frame cracking

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
It's been confirmed it's filler to smooth over the welds. Not great but cosmetic and they will sort it out. Carry on riding in the mean time.
As of 10am this morning they have been working through claims to inform customers not to ride the bikes until further tests at the production end have been completed to ensure safety of the current frame

This is what Giant sent the bike shop this morning!

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I checked again today with the local giant dealer and they again said latest info is they are fine to ride.

Morton Thiokol said that its solid rocket boosters were fine. Everyone believed them... until they blew up and everyone died. Thiokol faded away, and now they're just a dark smudge in the history books.

The moral of the story is that you can't depend on salesmen and half-wits running the cash register at the bike store to tell you the truth regarding issues that would cost them sales or force them to get off their butts and do something.

"Yeah, it's fine. It's only looks like its broken. It's not. You can trust me."
Bwahahahahahahaha!!!! 🤣😆😳

Giant is a big company, so they'll be able to absorb the cost of replacing these frames. But heads will roll. Mark my words.

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
id get my money back and get something else given the responses so far from giant.

Giant isn't responding for a reason. If they were to respond, it would be an acknowledgment of the problem. Once they acknowledge that there is a problem, they will be obligated to recall all the bikes to repair them, or offer refunds to their unfortunate customers. If someone gets hurt on one of their bikes, Giant can tap-dance around the problem the way companies always do. But if they admit there is a problem and do nothing, their negligence is harder to defend. Failing to publicly address this issue shows a lack of concern for the safety of Giant's customers. Their inaction speaks volumes.

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
As each country has different laws and levels of accountability I feel you may get different responses.
As such Australasian response is definitely not to ride.
Endorium clearly loves his new bike and does not want to believe they are not well made.
The truth is they are broken either cosmetically or completely and they will all likely become a problem at some stage.
Lucky we are the first owners and can get something done. The biggest issue is almost a month since bringing it to the attention of the lbs I'm still unsure what is happening.
It's not ideal. To be honest I will sell this thing regardless as there is no guarantee the replacement will be any better.

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
As each country has different laws and levels of accountability I feel you may get different responses.
Endorium clearly loves his new bike and does not want to believe they are not well made.
The truth is they are broken either cosmetically or completely and they will all likely become a problem at some stage.
Lucky we are the first owners and can get something done. The biggest issue is almost a month since bringing it to the attention of the lbs I'm still unsure what is happening.
It's not ideal. To be honest I will sell this thing regardless as there is no guarantee the replacement will be any better.
You have made some great point here mate.

I have been told that A new complete frame will be here mid July!

I am still not sure if this is the best out come really!!
I’m not impressed that all my electrics from one frame to another has to be swapped! Also I’m not happy the way that all this has been dealt with! I don’t even know what the new frame looks like yet!
Also now that the bike has been tainted with a crack frame even if it is paint, then what is it going to be like to sell it on even if it has a new frame.
They say in the email that they sent to me that they are unsure why the frame is cracking and need to do more investigation so don’t ride the bike.
But in the next paragraph they say that they will have a new frame out to me in a month!!
So how can they not know what is wrong and then fix it!!
A mate as a crack in is reign only after 90 miles of use!!
I feel that really giant should be doing a full call back of all the bikes and then giving out refunds!!
i don’t want to happen as the bike is amazing to ride.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
It sucks but is so common in the bike industry. Lots of us remember all the months of outrage before SRAM admitted its brakes were rubbish and finally rolled out a recall and replacement program, more than once. I still had to pay for the bleeds $70 too. the silence, rumour and denial are typical.

Having to go through bike shops is another layer of spin. Most of them are lazy/disorganised and don't really fight for the customer. As a simple example, I've had a claim in for a snapped Deore cassette on a Giant for 9 months now and am still being messed around.

The sad lesson is never to buy a first edition of any new version eMTB. You are just a beta tester if you do. These Reigns and Trances have a new frame and motor, it's just 'tested' by a few YouTubers and mag journos "in intense conditions all weekend" and never reveals problems that come up in the real world. Same with all the brands. Merida, Trek, Norco etc.

Being Australia, " you have the right to ask for a repair, replacement or refund under the Australian Consumer Law" so they can offer a new frame unless it is judged a 'major problem' which I think yours is as "it creates an unsafe situation".

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
No, just going off what UK representative is saying. Going off the facts they give me. My bike has zero cracks. I have rode it likely more than anyone. At bike parks every weekend (check out dyfi and revolutions in the UK). Peddled well over 1000 miles. If there was an issue affecting them all, mine would of cracked. None of the people I know.with one has cracks either.

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
Well here are the real " facts". They are few.......

You have been told by " one" person it's okay.
This has no evidence as provided by another member.

You personally haven't been affected Endorium at this stage.

You ride more than anyone else 😂😂😂

Support for this crack has been slow and lacks information on actual cause.

Now is the best time for you to sell your bike before it does break or have the "minor paint issue that's not worth worrying about".

We are not told if the new frame is a superceded unit or same thing....

lewcando

Jun 18, 2022
New Zealand
Hi, Just scanning the web and came across this chat. Just giving my experience of my new Giant reign E+ 2022. Received start of January and taken back to my LBS less than a week later after only 2 short rides (10km max) as it has a good size crack in the same area as you are showing. The LBS really sorted me out and gave me a 2019 Trance sx ebike which is rad as a loaner, that was almost 6 months ago now and havnt heard a peep from Giant or the LBS since. Hope to hear back one day, thinking about asking for my money back and offer to buy the loaner off them as I have got so used to it now and love it. Shame this seems to happen to a few as the Reign is one cool looking bike.

lewcando

Jun 18, 2022
New Zealand
20220102_175122.jpg

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
This is totally shit!!
Hi, Just scanning the web and came across this chat. Just giving my experience of my new Giant reign E+ 2022. Received start of January and taken back to my LBS less than a week later after only 2 short rides (10km max) as it has a good size crack in the same area as you are showing. The LBS really sorted me out and gave me a 2019 Trance sx ebike which is rad as a loaner, that was almost 6 months ago now and havnt heard a peep from Giant or the LBS since. Hope to hear back one day, thinking about asking for my money back and offer to buy the loaner off them as I have got so used to it now and love it. Shame this seems to happen to a few as the Reign is one cool looking bike.
no way this was back in January!!! This is so shit! GIANT need to sort this out asap! My mate who has been riding his reign today has just found a crack in his!!
This is crazy!!!!

PetriKarj

May 16, 2022
Kasperi94
There are now 6 lads I know of in may area of north wales that have the same crack in the same area!!
This is not good!!

Have you compared the serial numbers of these bikes ? If the serials are close to esch other then it could be a bad batch where as serials wide apart could mean a systemic error for all bikes manufactured.

Garybee

Feb 4, 2022
Vancouver BC
My cracked E+1 has been in the shop for two weeks and Giant has not responded.

In 2018 the paint on my carbon trance 29 started to chip. I sent the dealer an e-mail with a photo and a replacement was approved the next day (never brought the bike in). Giant knew about the problem and fixed it.

And for my e-bike two weeks with no answer ?

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales

In 2018 the paint on my carbon trance 29 started to chip. I sent the dealer an e-mail with a photo and a replacement was approved the next day (never brought the bike in). Giant knew about the problem and fixed it.

not good dude not good!

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales

Have you any pics?

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia

I would guess there isn’t an answer yet, new frames gunna take some time, and they won’t refund you if you don’t make them do it! In Aus the consumer protection laws make the shop not the supplier responsible.

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
I would guess there isn’t an answer yet, new frames gunna take some time, and they won’t refund you if you don’t make them do it! In Aus the consumer protection laws make the shop not the supplier responsible.
Same here in NZ and I like my shop owner so will work with them and enjoy my other bike until it's sorted, at this time I'll sell it with new frame.
I've been waiting almost a month for response so giant won't get another cent from me.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
I think there's now a good tendency showing low mileage bikes or even new bikes that are cracked from the factory after seeing quite a few cracked frames here or on FB.

This is most likely a batch related issue with the filler or whatever related to the welding process of that specific weld.

I don't want to take Giant's defense, but it must be one hell of a nightmare to fix...imagine if cracked frames are all spread out through the production dates. There's a good possibility that they don't even know the root cause yet and therefore could be replacing your defective frame with another defective frame until they figure it out.

My bike is now 900km and I'm pretty heavy & hard on the bike, no sign of a crack.

Garybee

Feb 4, 2022
Vancouver BC
I don't want to take Giant's defense, but it must be one hell of a nightmare to fix...imagine if cracked frames are all spread out through the production dates. There's a good possibility that they don't even know the root cause yet and therefore could be replacing your defective frame with another defective frame until they figure it out.

Giant is still selling Reign E+ today. They should post a note on the website. "The frames on some Giant Reigns E+ are cracking. We don't know why or how to fix it. We could replace your current frame with another defective one, but they are out of stock. Our current strategy is to ignore the affected customers. Please press "Add to cart" and one could be yours. That's how I feel after buying one that cracked.

Last edited:

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Giant is still selling Reign E+ today. They should post a note on the website. "The frames on some Giant Reigns E+ are cracking. We don't know why or how to fix it. We could replace your current frame with another defective one, but they are out of stock. Our current strategy is to ignore the affected customers. Please press "Add to cart" and one could be yours. That's how I feel after buying one that cracked.

I get the frustration and looks like Giant is doing a poor management of the situation that is getting bigger and bigger every day.

The damage is not reversible in some cases and it's sad that Giant doesn't seem to care very much to save these customers.

Specialized did the same thing recently with the Tarmac SL7 where the steerer tube could suddenly snap while riding, major health safety hazard. Specialized remained dead silent letting riders ride their bikes while clearly being aware of the situation. They only issued the official recall when the issue was found & parts ready to recall the bikes.

That means Specialized were manufacturing the parts for the recall letting their customers riding unsafe bikes and knew about it, how fucked up this is ?

Something is deeply wrong in the industry for these large manufacturers to get away from these issues so easily which is not the case in some other industry.

lewcando

Jun 18, 2022
New Zealand
Hi guys, update from my LBS today about my cracked Reign here in NZ. New frame arriving in 2 weeks from Giant who have now rectified the issue which was the filler they use to smooth out the welded area which is cracking, not the weld itself. Will keep you updated when it arrives, hoping all your cracked frames get replaced real soon too

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles