Giant reign 2022 frame cracking

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
My Scott(genius 920) has a big weld running across the same bit where these cracks are being reported, so it seems Scott at least are aware thats a weak area and have done something to address it.
The giant does have a weld there. The weld isn't the issue. It's the filler covering the weld is not flexible enough. Cosmetic issue, not structural

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I keep reading this thread and I am intrigued just what weld process was used. I really cannot believe the "filler" referred to is something like fibreglass or epoxy. The fact that Giant are apparently changing frames on warranty for what is refers to as cosmetic damage also infers the "filler" is a metallic one which would not be possible to repair.

The only relatively new welding process I am aware of is a method used to enable welding of 7075 alloy ( normally not possible to weld). That process involves laying thin wires of magnesium carbide across the weld area before welding. They refer to those wires as "filler" and it is presumably impossible.....as per all stick, Tig or Mig welding....to have a finish such that you cannot see the weld.

I wonder if it is in reality not a weld at all in the accepted sense........ie 2 components joined together by melting both the edges of each part and a filler rod/wire. I know of other structures (e.g. windsurfing boom consisting of a mix of 7075 and 6061 ally sections) under similar or even greater stress than a bike frame that are in fact bonded (glued) . That looks like what may have been the case on the seat tube failures on the Orbea Wild since there is no sign of a weld on the parts when separated.

All very intriguing! ( ps not for me........I want to see a well executed TIG weld!!)

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
I keep reading this thread and I am intrigued just what weld process was used. I really cannot believe the "filler" referred to is something like fibreglass or epoxy. The fact that Giant are apparently changing frames on warranty for what is refers to as cosmetic damage also infers the "filler" is a metallic one which would not be possible to repair.

The only relatively new welding process I am aware of is a method used to enable welding of 7075 alloy ( normally not possible to weld). That process involves laying thin wires of magnesium carbide across the weld area before welding. They refer to those wires as "filler" and it is presumably impossible.....as per all stick, Tig or Mig welding....to have a finish such that you cannot see the weld.

I wonder if it is in reality not a weld at all in the accepted sense........ie 2 components joined together by melting both the edges of each part and a filler rod/wire. I know of other structures (e.g. windsurfing boom consisting of a mix of 7075 and 6061 ally sections) under similar or even greater stress than a bike frame that are in fact bonded (glued) . That looks like what may have been the case on the seat tube failures on the Orbea Wild since there is no sign of a weld on the parts when separated.

All very intriguing! ( ps not for me........I want to see a well executed TIG weld!!)

If you look at the thickness where the cable ports are it’s obviously some sort of “bog filler” at the bend. Nothing intriguing

lewcando

Jun 18, 2022
New Zealand
I'm in NZ and just picked up my Reign today, your post gives me confidence now! I checked the bike over thoroughly when I picked it up but obviously no signs of cracking yet. By chance was your LBS a Red store that starts with a T and ends in a 7??
hey bro got my one from the black shop that starts with an E :) Gota say they have been really good lending me a bike in the meantime

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you look at the thickness where the cable ports are it’s obviously some sort of “bog filler” at the bend. Nothing intriguing
What is concerning rather than intriguing is that most photos on here show a very straight line as a crack. That suggests separation of the joined sections rather than twisting or at that section of the frame.. I have used epoxy filler on cars and windsurf kit.....never seen a repair crack in a perfectly straight line.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
What is concerning rather than intriguing is that most photos on here show a very straight line as a crack. That suggests separation of the joined sections rather than twisting or at that section of the frame.. I have used epoxy filler on cars and windsurf kit.....never seen a repair crack in a perfectly straight line.
Depends on the flex point. Cars etc won't have flex points like on a down tube. It's been said 100 times now it's not structural. Mine shows signs and going morzine with it as been told it's fine to.

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand

Agree on this, the filler doesn't just crack without movement/flex. I still have no doubt these frames have a design flaw, there is no crack without movement between the tubes.

whayze

Jun 7, 2022
Auckland
hey bro got my one from the black shop that starts with an E :) Gota say they have been really good lending me a bike in the meantime
Ah wicked, they were my first choice and actually gave me a really good quote on the Trek Rail 5 which was my 'plan b' bike if I couldn't get hands on the Reign. First couple of rides last weekend and I'm beyond impressed with it!!

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
Agree on this, the filler doesn't just crack without movement/flex. I still have no doubt these frames have a design flaw, there is no crack without movement between the tubes.
The frames do flex. Its intended. Carbon frames as well. If they didn't flex at all it would be horrible to ride. The issue is the filler doesn't flex, when it should have some Flexibility.

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
My mate has just messaged me. He has the black and white frame reign and he has just said that his bike shop will be getting his new frame in a few weeks! Only problem is it will be the green frame not the black and white one!
he said that giant have only made the new frame in green so far!! He’s not happpy!!

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
My mate has just messaged me. He has the black and white frame reign and he has just said that his bike shop will be getting his new frame in a few weeks! Only problem is it will be the green frame not the black and white one!
he said that giant have only made the new frame in green so far!! He’s not happpy!!
Well that's not true. I have a new orange frame coming in two weeks

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
E+ 1 Good Grey. Waited for my replacment frame almoast five months and have been told the only option is green frame. However, I favor Phantom Green anyway 😊 Hope I will not face any cracks as it is cumbersomw and on my bill to wrap the frame.

Last edited:

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
E+ 1 Good Grey. Waited for my replacment frame almoast five months and have been told the only option is green frame. However, I favor Phantom Green anyway 😊 Hope I will not face any cracks as it is cumbersomw and on my bill to wrap the frame.
Well that's not true. I have a new orange frame coming in two weeks
Also it is true as this is the only colour that is available as a new frame. This has been said by giant to his bike shop this morning

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
Same here mate. From the uk.
There are five of us that are all mates that have a giant. All With cracks. They said it will be the green frames that we are getting.

Garybee

Feb 4, 2022
Vancouver BC
Its been about six weeks since I contacted my bike shop and five weeks since I posted a photo of my frame crack in this thread.

Today the bike shop responded in writing as follows. "Giant will replace your frame but say that it’s the paste that they put over the welds that cracked. It will still be replaced but in the meantime your bike is still safe to ride. "

This thread provided me with much valuable information so I was in the loop even before Giant responded directly to me today. So thanks to all that posted.

Last edited:

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
no the bike was picked up today and the first one of those he sold he so busy atm the work shop is fully booked until end of august he is that busy selling ebikes there deleverd out the box for a pdi check and to the customer the next day.

and thats just from ppl round Gloucester he does not sell bikes online which just blows my mind for a tiny shop like his.

he only sells giant ebikes so if you want one try him as wont leave you in the shit like most box shifters ;)
no the bike was picked up today and the first one of those he sold he so busy atm the work shop is fully booked until end of august he is that busy selling ebikes there deleverd out the box for a pdi check and to the customer the next day.

and thats just from ppl round Gloucester he does not sell bikes online which just blows my mind for a tiny shop like his.

he only sells giant ebikes so if you want one try him as wont leave you in the shit like most box shifters ;)
He has the new revised frames for the Giant reigns then?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If it is now a standard Tig Weld in that area on the new frames it is good news.....it may also suggest whatever " new welding process" they used previously does not work...which does not support their contention that any crack is merely cosmetic.

Garybee

Feb 4, 2022
Vancouver BC
If it is now a standard Tig Weld in that area on the new frames it is good news.....it may also suggest whatever " new welding process" they used previously does not work...which does not support their contention that any crack is merely cosmetic.

Its a filler and paint issue which they are solving by going to a different welding process. Giant told me in writing it's a problem only with the filler and the bike is safe to ride until the replacement frame comes.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles