Giant reign 2022 frame cracking

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
i am unfortunatly joining the club, hard to see, but easy to feel with your nail.
12/2021 800km
BA8E32A9-E517-41CB-B929-205A9AC25A24.jpeg

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
Now you're just making things up.

The three biggest lies in mountain biking:
Giant will replace your cracked frame.
The check's in the mail.
I won't cum in your mouth.
Two posts above he states giant is replacing the frame. Plus the frame isn't cracked. Again it's just the filler. So fine to ride. Multiple people have been told this now.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Just put some car foil over it and you can't see the cracks...🙆‍♂️😂🤷‍♂🙃 ok jokes aside...

After 1000+ km in all kind of terrain(fire roads, trails, bike parks...) it's still good...so far, hope it stays like that.

I did pull the foil to check it...and am doing it occasionally.

Bought in February/Slovenia Size M E+1

20220530_223128.jpg

20220521_212810.jpg

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
Well after many laps and hours and Ks on another brand, I can confidenty say...... "sell your reigns when you get your replacement frames and buy something good."
It's a price point bike that is pretty good but it's not great.
Recent reviews are not great for the reign and honestly after all the Norco reviews I got the range expecting it to be be sluggish compared to the reign but the bike that is the total slug in all reviews is more playful than the reign...... WTF?!
This must mean the giant is the megaslug and that's how it feels when switching between both bikes.
Well done giant for pushing the envelope but you missed the mark on on the early frames.
I bet the megawatt is amazing.....
Just saying....
Not going back to the reign after riding something else....
Ps I've had four 2021 2022 bikes in the last year so I think I am judge fairly as to what is fast and what's not.
Ps. S still nothing from giant as two my own frame.

Last edited:

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
It's all personal preference and riding styles. I find I can chuck mine around really well. Especially when I go parks and the speed ramps up. I had to adjust how I ride a bit, but can now throw it around how I want. Muddy day at dyfi awaits tomorrow.....

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
well bike radar man said it is shit and to heavy and given all the cracks it looks like it is to fat to support its own frame 😂

tho he has a point my bike is still to heavy for me to throw it around esp at hi speed the way id like to why i use clipless and mine is just under 24kg with sg tyres fitted last time i checked stock it was 21.1kg.

Grow some muscle. Stop reading some emo-boy nonsense. Real boys are throwing massive whips on 200 pound Enduro bikes.

The truth is I love this fat pig of a bike more and more. Together with my skinny ass Enduro Amish bike that is anorectic with his 13,5kgs.

Ride on. Be positive. Don't absorb every nonsense some random homo sapiens writes.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
Well, well ,well. 1500 miles of riding and doing my 17th park day on the reign since march, a crack in the filler is showing. Very, very small but there. Spoke to the shop I got it from. Frames with a new design to in fix the issue are due in UK the end of July. Will get mine start of my August. In the meantime it's fine to ride. Yearly morzine trip end of July so can give it a good thrashing before getting a new one 😃 that's a good quick turn around

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
7 months is not fast they have known of this problem since jan yet still sell the bikes anyway they just dont care and let the dealers take all the shit as wont deal with the public but have fb and all that bs.

i have been to 4 ebike shops this week and there is nothing in stock ebike wise and what they do have is flying out the door even at 10k 🤯

1 guy that is a giant dealer is selling 3-4 bikes a week if he can get them and to just sell road bikes how many did he sell that week 0 pmsl.

i did ask about all you poor fookers but has never sold one of those yet but has no warranty problems with motors only batts on giant bikes.
7 months? Seen it today and getting replacement in 4 weeks. It's not structural so you can still ride it. I don't see the issue. It's been sorted way quicker than previous warranty claims on other bikes. No idea where in the world you are but the shop I got mine from has plenty of stock of all sorts of ebikes. Plenty of giants included. Honestly couldn't be happier with dealer service and replacement time. I wouldn't shop anywhere else

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Well after many laps and hours and Ks on another brand, I can confidenty say...... "sell your reigns when you get your replacement frames and buy something good."
It's a price point bike that is pretty good but it's not great.
Recent reviews are not great for the reign and honestly after all the Norco reviews I got the range expecting it to be be sluggish compared to the reign but the bike that is the total slug in all reviews is more playful than the reign...... WTF?!
This must mean the giant is the megaslug and that's how it feels when switching between both bikes.
Well done giant for pushing the envelope but you missed the mark on on the early frames.
I bet the megawatt is amazing.....
Just saying....
Not going back to the reign after riding something else....
Ps I've had four 2021 2022 bikes in the last year so I think I am judge fairly as to what is fast and what's not.
Ps. S still nothing from giant as two my own frame.

There was a Norco Factory Demo last week at my local trail center and had the chance to try out the new Sight VLT.

I will say that the Sight VLT is more stable, planted and climbs better being a full 29er. It wasn't that hard to move around like everyone is saying so I was surprised, but I'm a tall guy. I was really dissapointed in the Shimano EP8 motor which is lacking power versus the Yamaha PW-X3.

I can get that someone could feel more secure on the Sight/Range VLT and go faster because of that, especially less experienced rider. That long chainstay & wheelbase are helping a lot. Suspension is really linear and on the soft side which also contributes to riding fast in the rough stuff, but with poor bottom out control. The bike is also really heavy for a carbon eMTB and it's even worse with the 900Wh battery.

Reign is still more playful & easier to turn in tight corners but you can tell pretty quickly that the bike is not as stable. Reign suspension kinematics also provides a much better bottom out control while remaining reasonably soft up top.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
There was a Norco Factory Demo last week at my local trail center and had the chance to try out the new Sight VLT.

I will say that the Sight VLT is more stable, planted and climbs better being a full 29er. It wasn't that hard to move around like everyone is saying so I was surprised, but I'm a tall guy. I was really dissapointed in the Shimano EP8 motor which is lacking power versus the Yamaha PW-X3.

I can get that someone could feel more secure on the Sight/Range VLT and go faster because of that, especially less experienced rider. That long chainstay & wheelbase are helping a lot. Suspension is really linear and on the soft side which also contributes to riding fast in the rough stuff, but with poor bottom out control. The bike is also really heavy for a carbon eMTB and it's even worse with the 900Wh battery.

Reign is still more playful & easier to turn in tight corners but you can tell pretty quickly that the bike is not as stable. Reign suspension kinematics also provides a much better bottom out control while remaining reasonably soft up top.
Wouldnt touch a bike with a Shimano ep8 motor. Most unreliable motor I have known. One mate is on his third motor and he hardly used it. Another is on his second in under 500 miles riding.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Wouldnt touch a bike with a Shimano ep8 motor. Most unreliable motor I have known. One mate is on his third motor and he hardly used it. Another is on his second in under 500 miles riding.

Did not touch on that point, but yes not sure what's going with the EP8 motor.

Broken EP8 motor on a friend's bike, he's stuck with no motor for +- 2 months as Shimano is not able to keep up. Also local bike shop unbolted an EP8 motor on a brand new bike to replace another EP8 on a customer's bike...

I would also stay away from this engine, poor performance & reliability.

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
Hello all from the USA I have 88 miles on my 2022 Reign E+2 And have noticed just a small crack. Thanks for starting this thread appreciate everybody’s input I will be taking my bike to the LBS today.
I think in time all these giants are going to show a crack in the frame. Until they replace them all, this problem is not going to go away!

whayze

Jun 7, 2022
Auckland
Hi guys, update from my LBS today about my cracked Reign here in NZ. New frame arriving in 2 weeks from Giant who have now rectified the issue which was the filler they use to smooth out the welded area which is cracking, not the weld itself. Will keep you updated when it arrives, hoping all your cracked frames get replaced real soon too

I'm in NZ and just picked up my Reign today, your post gives me confidence now! I checked the bike over thoroughly when I picked it up but obviously no signs of cracking yet. By chance was your LBS a Red store that starts with a T and ends in a 7??

Tone_Loc66

Jun 29, 2022
USA
View attachment 90949 Screen grab from carlsons story.
does this frame look different at the point where they are cracking?
Hello Chuggz how would you comparte the coil vs. the air on your bike? I am pondering a coil, but I have E+2 which has the float X with rebound only adjustment. Is the bike less poppy on jumps or has the rear grip increased vs the coil. Any feedback on your experience is much appreciated.

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
Hello Chuggz how would you comparte the coil vs. the air on your bike? I am pondering a coil, but I have E+2 which has the float X with rebound only adjustment. Is the bike less poppy on jumps or has the rear grip increased vs the coil. Any feedback on your experience is much appreciated.
That pic is of Josh Carlsons world enduro bike

Fordo 197

Apr 2, 2022
Uk
I have a cane creek kistuma and can recommend highly. I have the 65mm stroke and It works a treat. Night and day over the x2 I had

IMG20220629152750.jpg

Chuggz

Dec 13, 2019
Australia
Hi guys, update from my LBS today about my cracked Reign here in NZ. New frame arriving in 2 weeks from Giant who have now rectified the issue which was the filler they use to smooth out the welded area which is cracking, not the weld itself. Will keep you updated when it arrives, hoping all your cracked frames get replaced real soon too
Hey man can you keep us updated as to how you go with ur new frame etc
Cheers

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
My Scott(genius 920) has a big weld running across the same bit where these cracks are being reported, so it seems Scott at least are aware thats a weak area and have done something to address it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles