Giant reign 2022 frame cracking

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
Hi guys.

H
01B0D66B-EC1B-4C71-B323-F6A58C3DF808.jpeg
Has anyone come across this on the new 2022 giant reign with the frame cracking? This would be near the bottom of the down tube near the two small holes for the gear and brake cables?
Any info would be great.
This is my mates bike only 5 months old andI checked mine today and I have the start of a crack also in the same place!!!

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
My only concern would be how long would it take to get a replacement. Curious to what Giant says to your mate. I am going to send an email to my Giant sales rep so he can ask Giant's opinion and to document the hairline crack. To my untrained eyes mine looks like a paint finish crack, your mates looks structural.

Ride dm can you take a pic of yours?

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
My only concern would be how long would it take to get a replacement. Curious to what Giant says to your mate. I am going to send an email to my Giant sales rep so he can ask Giant's opinion and to document the hairline crack. To my untrained eyes mine looks like a paint finish crack, your mates looks structural.

Ride dm can you take a pic of yours?
Ok sounds like a plan mate. There is also paint warranty on the giant frames also.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Heard of one doing the same over here on guys first real ride. Two of his mates bought theirs at the same time so they're worried it's a bad batch.
I think the waiting time is indefinite atm...

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
Heard of one doing the same over here on guys first real ride. Two of his mates bought theirs at the same time so they're worried it's a bad batch.
I think the waiting time is indefinite atm...
Hi mate. This is not good. Do you know where his cracked?
when he bought it? Where are you guys?
cheers mate

PetriKarj

May 16, 2022
Kasperi94
Could someone with a suspected crack remove the battery and take a piccie from the inside to see if this only a surface issue or goes deeper inside the frame…?

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
Could someone with a suspected crack remove the battery and take a piccie from the inside to see if this only a surface issue or goes deeper inside the frame…?

I removed the battery cover and battery. It seems like the arched shaped dull gray metal piece where it stands proud of the actual frame is the location where my "crack" is.

I see no visible cracking on inside of frame. Mine looks like paint spiderweb cracking vesus the OP which seems like that frame is cracked.

IMG_20220523_105358594.jpg
IMG_20220523_105358594.jpg

IMG_20220523_105411197.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Kevjob51 It would still be worth lodging your concern with Giant. It may get worse, it may not. A crack can be on the surface and then spread more deeply later as the frame goes through more cycles of stress. Even if it is just the paint that is cracking, it is still a fault that may get worse; the paint might fall off for example.

That "arched dull grey metal piece" is welded on and welds are a well-known stress raiser.

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
@Kevjob51 It would still be worth lodging your concern with Giant. It may get worse, it may not. A crack can be on the surface and then spread more deeply later as the frame goes through more cycles of stress. Even if it is just the paint that is cracking, it is still a fault that may get worse; the paint might fall off for example.

That "arched dull grey metal piece" is welded on and welds are a well-known stress raiser.

I plan on going tomorrow am to Giant LBS. I have only ridden it on street to bed in brakes. I will report back with what they say. I am hopeful it it just cosmetic and that they can offer me some assurance on the warranty frame timeframe if needed.

BTW I will say this bike feels great, I am able to bunnyhop with minimal effort and the geo is perfect match to my Ripmo AF mtb which fits me perfectly.

Only other slight concern is the low BB bracket but had shop flip chip into high position.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
All the pictures including the one a bove suggest that the down tube is welded at the site of the cracks to the frame section that carries the motor housing. Giant appear to have done an "Orbea" on the 2022 models with that weld (flattened the weld...which in my opinion weakens it). I far prefer the very visible weld in the picture of the red Reign above..........you can determine the quality of the weld. So I would guess that joint between the down tube and motor housing frame section is starting to fail. The crack is caused by movement on that joint. It may be superficial to start with but likely to get worse.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles