Blackpool. U.K.
Soon got her dirty....

FA719DD0-348E-4E09-B5E3-5A683B05F80C.jpeg

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Yes, especially how much quieter it is.
the auto mode is handy on tricky uphill terrain but “overassists” for my liking... handy all the same though, sometimes I want to forget assistance and just climb, and this button makes that possible.

Interesting, I got a 2020 in my full epro and despise the auto mode - almost too slow to detect steep hills and kick in? Makes me wonder if it's because my motor is angled down compared with a trance? Or just not working properly?

Either way, gotta love how quiet it us!!!

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis

Not sure how, but my gopro app basically created this little frantic video from my morning ride clips. I was trying to figure out how to highlight various scenes. Lol. It reminds me the baby shark song my grandkids go nutz over.

Nice. The GoPro app is quite good at that but you have limited control over the exact footage that it includes apart from being able tree select the time of the clips. It would've been better if you could select different lengths of time because I sometimes want to include a complete feature and then it cuts it off at the worst time.

I eventually end up doing my own editing with Studio which also takes a bit of time but at least I have complete control.

Reactions: iXi

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Interesting, I got a 2020 in my full epro and despise the auto mode - almost too slow to detect steep hills and kick in? Makes me wonder if it's because my motor is angled down compared with a trance? Or just not working properly?

Either way, gotta love how quiet it us!!!

Well, I love the auto mode ! Should get my Trance E+ back next week but have had a Reign E+ as a loaner for a couple of weeks (had a new motor...) and they seem similar but certainly couldn’t say they were slow to react. Does yours have all the 6 sensors ? (Are they imbedded in the motor ?)

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Well, I love the auto mode ! Should get my Trance E+ back next week but have had a Reign E+ as a loaner for a couple of weeks (had a new motor...) and they seem similar but certainly couldn’t say they were slow to react. Does yours have all the 6 sensors ? (Are they imbedded in the motor ?)

I think I'll have to get back to the shop. It's a brand new 2020 pwx motor, 6 sensors etc. I suspect it thinks the bike is going down hill when horizontal because the full e motor is tilted down compared with normal bikes.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Deffo not slow to react.
in fact, perhaps the opposite. You simply can’t leave any pressure on the pedals when you stop as it lurches forward with the slightest touch in auto.

I power it to zero when stopped for that reason.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Interested to hear what you think of the updated motor re higher cadence support etc....

Heaps better if you spin faster than 90 . It's almost like the old dual stage torque has gone and we have a linear delivery.

With the old motor I used to sit between 80-90 and drop back into the torque curve as loads increased. That seemed to be the best way to get good drive.

With this new motor I can comfortably sit at 80 then increase pressure on the cranks and it takes off. It's just easier to ride.

I'm yet to get a feel for the most efficient way to ride this new motor. I was towing my daughter up some steep hills today and used some scary battery figures. Perhaps marginally better if I was riding 80-90 cadence vs 70 but both were losing traction so it's hard to be certain.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Heaps better if you spin faster than 90 . It's almost like the old dual stage torque has gone and we have a linear delivery.

With the old motor I used to sit between 80-90 and drop back into the torque curve as loads increased. That seemed to be the best way to get good drive.

With this new motor I can comfortably sit at 80 then increase pressure on the cranks and it takes off. It's just easier to ride.

I'm yet to get a feel for the most efficient way to ride this new motor. I was towing my daughter up some steep hills today and used some scary battery figures. Perhaps marginally better if I was riding 80-90 cadence vs 70 but both were losing traction so it's hard to be certain.
Good to know thanks, I'm a bit the same, I tend to sit at a cadence that when I want to speed up the motor runs out of puff so have to short shift gears, I'm hoping the newer ones feel more like the bosh/brose ones when accelerating but still have the Yamaha low end grunt.

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
Looks like I have to go and ride the 2020 Trance-e to compare the new motor cadence with my 2019. I like what I hear about being more silent but then again I only hear my motor when I lug it under torque and low cadence, which isn't happening a lot and once I'm moving is really less noisy than my tyres.

Last weekend I went on a long outride with a bunch of people on the new Levos which is supposed to have a lot of power. I was the oldest and by far the heaviest rider in the group and when I pushed left most of them behind on the steepest hills and that was only in my third mode with 250% support.

My battery life was also very good considering my weight disadvantage and I even got better range than one of them. We finished a 48 kilometer ride with 1200 meter climb and I had 11% battery left. My weight is 111 kilos and I carried 3 liters water and some tools.

I am not certain I am going to get any benefit from the new motor but will go and ride it to feel for myself. Also I hope they change the way Auto Mode is selected really quickly because having to cycle via off to the other modes won't work for me. They should just let you keep the power up button in for 2 secs to enable/disable and essentially return you to the mode you were in when you switched. That is the one valid criticism that I heard leveled at Auto Mode engagement.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Looks like I have to go and ride the 2020 Trance-e to compare the new motor cadence with my 2019. I like what I hear about being more silent but then again I only hear my motor when I lug it under torque and low cadence, which isn't happening a lot and once I'm moving is really less noisy than my tyres.

Last weekend I went on a long outride with a bunch of people on the new Levos which is supposed to have a lot of power. I was the oldest and by far the heaviest rider in the group and when I pushed left most of them behind on the steepest hills and that was only in my third mode with 250% support.

My battery life was also very good considering my weight disadvantage and I even got better range than one of them. We finished a 48 kilometer ride with 1200 meter climb and I had 11% battery left. My weight is 111 kilos and I carried 3 liters water and some tools.

I am not certain I am going to get any benefit from the new motor but will go and ride it to feel for myself. Also I hope they change the way Auto Mode is selected really quickly because having to cycle via off to the other modes won't work for me. They should just let you keep the power up button in for 2 secs to enable/disable and essentially return you to the mode you were in when you switched. That is the one valid criticism that I heard leveled at Auto Mode engagement.

Yeah, I had a 2020 Levo Comp for a weekend and don't think they are any more powerful than the Giant. App/Software is better though.

Yes, auto mode implementation is much better with the new update. Now I am back on the Trance, I am thinking the Reign programming is a bit more aggressive in Auto - shouldn't be the case though ? I haven't ridden a 2019 so can't compare the cadence support but if anything, the motor really gets up and going better when you are running 80+ up a hill IMHO.

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
Yeah, I had a 2020 Levo Comp for a weekend and don't think they are any more powerful than the Giant. App/Software is better though.

Yes, auto mode implementation is much better with the new update. Now I am back on the Trance, I am thinking the Reign programming is a bit more aggressive in Auto - shouldn't be the case though ? I haven't ridden a 2019 so can't compare the cadence support but if anything, the motor really gets up and going better when you are running 80+ up a hill IMHO.
Yes I saw they did an upgrade to the Auto mode where you push the power down button to activate deactivate auto mode and when you return is back in the mode you were in. That's way better than having to switch on/off every time you cycle to from Auto.

I agree on the Levo software being a lot better. In fact Giant is terrible with their software and the functionality isn't sufficient compared to any of the other motors around.

On my 2019 model I also prefer higher cadence but I need to be in the 3rd or higher modes to get 120 rpm support.

As is it works fine and I have a blast on my bike.

Gazareeny

Nov 9, 2019
Cumbria
Hi, are they your original wheels on your bike. And where did you get your tyres from. Also last question disk rotors. What are they. Are they your original brakes. Thanks
Front wheel is original rear I had to change the hub because the original stripped in the first 2 mins on it.
Tyres are Schwalbe Moto x tyres
Upgraded from 200 rotors to the new 220 Magura rotors on original SRAM brakes

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles