Giant fathom e+2 creaking crank and other

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I would suggest for the creaking you should check the engine mount bolts, these appear to be a common problem with a range of Giant e-bikes. The fix is to remove each (3) engine mount bolts individually lubricate them with either a lithium or molybdenum based grease, refit and retorque to 22 ftlbs. You will need a T30 TorX bit, the nylock nut on the opposite side of the motor is captured in the engine casing.

As for the "slipping/jumping" you will need to check for chain stretch, it sound like your chain is worn, I use a Park Tool chain checker tool CC-3.2 which is a simple go/no-go gauge, see here:

CC-3.2 Chain Checker | Park Tool

One of the problems is that when you chain is stretched or worn and "slipping/jumping" occurs it is also likely that your cassette is worn and will also need replacing. It is difficult to tell a worn cassette from looking at it, in it's worst form you will see the teeth forming a shark fin shape. The usual symptoms are poor shifting and skipping. Also check the teeth on your chain-ring.

Judgeju

Mar 16, 2020
United Kingdom
I would suggest for the creaking you should check the engine mount bolts, these appear to be a common problem with a range of Giant e-bikes. The fix is to remove each (3) engine mount bolts individually lubricate them with either a lithium or molybdenum based grease, refit and retorque to 22 ftlbs. You will need a T30 TorX bit, the nylock nut on the opposite side of the motor is captured in the engine casing.

As for the "slipping/jumping" you will need to check for chain stretch, it sound like your chain is worn, I use a Park Tool chain checker tool CC-3.2 which is a simple go/no-go gauge, see here:

CC-3.2 Chain Checker | Park Tool

One of the problems is that when you chain is stretched or worn and "slipping/jumping" occurs it is also likely that your cassette is worn and will also need replacing. It is difficult to tell a worn cassette from looking at it, in it's worst form you will see the teeth forming a shark fin shape. The usual symptoms are poor shifting and skipping. Also check the teeth on your chain-ring.
Thanks I’ve replaced the chain and have ordered the new cassette. Will grease up the bolts and may get new crankarms and chain ring ..... any recommendations greatly received. Thanks again !!

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
If you have replaced the chain and it is still "slipping/jumping" then I would consider replacing the cassette. If the chain was very worn then there is a possibility that the chainring is damaged but I would look at the cassette first before going there. Definitely look at the 3 engine mount bolts as this is a common cause of the creaking and there are a number of post across many e-bike forums about the Giant / Yamaha engine combo creaking under load. All you need is a T30 TorX bit, remove one bolt at a time, lube with some lithium or molybdenum based grease, refit, torque and repeat on the next. Access on the Fathom is pretty easy as no disassembly is required. The nut on the opposite side is captured in the frame so all you need to do is position it in its recess and hold it with your finger during initial tightening.

Judgeju

Mar 16, 2020
United Kingdom
If you have replaced the chain and it is still "slipping/jumping" then I would consider replacing the cassette. If the chain was very worn then there is a possibility that the chainring is damaged but I would look at the cassette first before going there. Definitely look at the 3 engine mount bolts as this is a common cause of the creaking and there are a number of post across many e-bike forums about the Giant / Yamaha engine combo creaking under load. All you need is a T30 TorX bit, remove one bolt at a time, lube with some lithium or molybdenum based grease, refit, torque and repeat on the next. Access on the Fathom is pretty easy as no disassembly is required. The nut on the opposite side is captured in the frame so all you need to do is position it in its recess and hold it with your finger during initial tightening.
Update the creaking has stopped now I’ve greased those bolts!! Brilliant thanks . Changing the cassette today.... will update later. Many thanks. !!!

Update 2 13th April....Cassette VERY tight have ordered better tools as the first chain whip bent as we was trying to loosen the cassette.

Last edited:

Judgeju

Mar 16, 2020
United Kingdom
Update the creaking has stopped now I’ve greased those bolts!! Brilliant thanks . Changing the cassette today.... will update later. Many thanks. !!!

Update 2 13th April....Cassette VERY tight have ordered better tools as the first chain whip bent as we was trying to loosen the cassette.
Does anyone know what chain rings upfront these Have has anyone upgraded the 36T?

Nonphixionx

May 15, 2020
Kitchener, Ontario
No but I was thinking the same damn thing man, I mean we are already cheating with power assist so why is the chaining so tiny like I'm sure on 1st gear and full boost you can conquer any hill or incline that's not extremely dangerous in the first place and if there's still problems would eat more food and maybe go for a walk or do some leg workouts lolol
But serious it blows me away too.
I wonder a 40t would be perfect I think straight up more too end speed and over all you would be using more of the gear ratios, mindboggling.
I guess they want anyone to feel like Superman when they on the thing but it does ride very nice and consistent overall so there must be a reason the engineers have it like that
The fathom dirt e 2 has 2 chain rings 38 and 34 now explain why a dirt machine has 38 and we got 36 why not 38 smh

Judgeju

Mar 16, 2020
United Kingdom
No but I was thinking the same damn thing man, I mean we are already cheating with power assist so why is the chaining so tiny like I'm sure on 1st gear and full boost you can conquer any hill or incline that's not extremely dangerous in the first place and if there's still problems would eat more food and maybe go for a walk or do some leg workouts lolol
But serious it blows me away too.
I wonder a 40t would be perfect I think straight up more too end speed and over all you would be using more of the gear ratios, mindboggling.
I guess they want anyone to feel like Superman when they on the thing but it does ride very nice and consistent overall so there must be a reason the engineers have it like that
The fathom dirt e 2 has 2 chain rings 38 and 34 now explain why a dirt machine has 38 and we got 36 why not 38 smh
I'm sure I've read somewhere that someone has done this. If I can find a chainring that fits I will upgrade and let you know. Just upgraded to summer wheels giant xcr1 carbon going on tomorrow

Kevin2306

May 22, 2020
Llangollen
Excellent advice here, my wife’s liv started creaking so I’ve just done the 3 bolts, hopefully be sorted (big ride out tomorrow so good test)
Thanks again

Kev

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles