Giant Fastroad Ex Pro - Randomly switches off

BenC

Nov 10, 2020
London
Hi all, I have a Giant Fastroad Ex Pro, it's around 1 month old.

It has started randomly cutting out. Most of the time when riding but occasionally I set off from the lights and look down to see the bike is off.

The firm I bought it from are 200 miles away but are being helpful and have said they will send a small shim to help pad out the battery box.

I took it to a local Giant centre today who said they had seen this sort of thing before and that they would need to replace parts one by one to try and fix it. The fella there said he thought it could be the main cable running through the frame. This sounds to me like it could be a bit of a wild goose chase / definitely take a lot of time and cause me a lot of hassle which I'd rather avoid.

The bike just cuts out, no warning on the screen. Having googled I suspect it is the battery box contacts but it could be water ingress - I just don't know. I taped the battery to the frame with electrical tape this evening and it seems to have made it cut out less (but it still cuts out 2 to 3 times on my 5-mile ride), which is a pain in the a$$.

I'm looking to get a bit of advice from the forum, as it could be something else causing the issue that I haven't thought of.

Thank you.

Prav

Jan 2, 2021
UK
Hi all, I have a Giant Fastroad Ex Pro, it's around 1 month old.

It has started randomly cutting out. Most of the time when riding but occasionally I set off from the lights and look down to see the bike is off.

The firm I bought it from are 200 miles away but are being helpful and have said they will send a small shim to help pad out the battery box.

I took it to a local Giant centre today who said they had seen this sort of thing before and that they would need to replace parts one by one to try and fix it. The fella there said he thought it could be the main cable running through the frame. This sounds to me like it could be a bit of a wild goose chase / definitely take a lot of time and cause me a lot of hassle which I'd rather avoid.

The bike just cuts out, no warning on the screen. Having googled I suspect it is the battery box contacts but it could be water ingress - I just don't know. I taped the battery to the frame with electrical tape this evening and it seems to have made it cut out less (but it still cuts out 2 to 3 times on my 5-mile ride), which is a pain in the a$$.

I'm looking to get a bit of advice from the forum, as it could be something else causing the issue that I haven't thought of.

Thank you.

I had this on my Fastroad E+2 which started after I took it out in the rain, 2 weeks after purchase. Dealer initially put it down to the Ride One controller which Giant said was prone to leaks. I left the bike with them and was pretty clear I didn't want it back until it was fixed. After 6 weeks of waiting on Giant to send out a new improved one the dealer swapped out the unit from a new bike to keep me in the road, long story short the bike still had the problem so it was unlikely to be the Ride One or cable and the dealer agreed to change the bike for another one.

I suspect there was some water ingress into the electronics into the motor.

My advice would be if they can't fix it in a timely way ask for a refund or any other bike. Otherwise all you have is a very heavy bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles