Giant E+1 pro free hub issue. No more well done Giant!!

minty15389

Dec 22, 2018
morpeth
I’ve just had my bike returned and first I must say how professional Giant Newcastle have been, identified problem listened to all my issues and fixed the problem.
They contacted Giant and told them there was an issue with the free hub and they didn’t want a like for like replacement, Giant then instructed them to source a upgraded hub, they did and fitted it all within a week,
Haven’t bean on it yet not going on it till Sunday but fingers crossed that’s the problem sorted!
5D9342F9-BBD0-4E7A-A8B7-0A783EDEEEE9.jpeg
769892AB-94FA-42FE-8054-5C19FF7B3593.jpeg

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
I’ve just had my bike returned and first I must say how professional Giant Newcastle have been, identified problem listened to all my issues and fixed the problem.
They contacted Giant and told them there was an issue with the free hub and they didn’t want a like for like replacement, Giant then instructed them to source a upgraded hub, they did and fitted it all within a week,
Haven’t bean on it yet not going on it till Sunday but fingers crossed that’s the problem sorted! View attachment 10875 View attachment 10876
Sorry, not mechanically inclined...
From the photos it seems the entire axle was replaced - not just the freehub. Is that right?
So the wheels had to be re-spoked?

Boloclips

Jan 27, 2019
Warminster, Wiltshire, England
Haven’t bean on it yet not going on it till Sunday but fingers crossed that’s the problem sorted! View attachment 10875 View attachment 10876
Gutted I have had the same issue but I am still waiting for the replacement and I have purchased a new hope wheel from giant

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Yep rear wheel is cone bearings... if it keeps failing i will seek an upgrade

Cone bearings work great in the right applications and when adjusted properly, old Campy road wheels are a perfect example for that. They spin super easily. Sealed cartridge bearings, while having more drag because of the seals, are more weather proof, because of the same, and are almost impossible to overtighten in most wheels. I only run into cup and cone bearings in the cheapest of bikes these days. I'm very surprised they're on yours, since a decent cartridge bearing hubset is also cheap.

Noddy

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Giant are doing the same for me. It will be another week before i get the bike back. Was in formed by LBS that upgraded Giant hubs are about 6 weeks away and the internals have been changed from alloy to steel. It will be interesting to see if Giant recall the bikes to change them out.

Stringbean

Mar 9, 2019
Cape town
Only 1 ride in on my trance but thinking of replacing the rear hub before I get problems.
Could you use the same spokes and rim for the Hope hub rebuild Minty?

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
depends on which hub you buy, if its a straight pull hub then no. but most hubs out there have 2 styles so you should find what your after. seems a lot of people are going for the hope hubs

minty15389

Dec 22, 2018
morpeth
Only 1 ride in on my trance but thinking of replacing the rear hub before I get problems.
Could you use the same spokes and rim for the Hope hub rebuild Minty?
i was told by giant that they replace all spokes for new ones on the rebuild, every thing working as it should and loads of rides in since the replacement!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles