Giant battery issue / short range

Kova

Dec 2, 2018
San Diego, Ca
Hi, I've only ridden my bike for a few days and already having a battery issue. I was able to ride for two days on the first charge for several hours each day. On the third day my fully charged battery only last about 8 to 10 miles (16Km) and then died. I called my Giant dealer and he said I should get a minimum of 20 miles on one charge on Turbo mode. Anyone else having this issue?

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
My Trance E+1 (same as yours) seems to have very good range. Your range does not sound right. Of course things like rider weight, amount of climbing, head wind, tyre pressure, etc, can all effect the range but 8-10 miles on a charge does not seem correct. I can get to work and back (36km total), in turbo mode, on cycle paths, with a few steep climbs, and i still have 3 battery lights left by the end of it.

I would definitely push Giant for an answer, or take it back to the dealer you bought it from and they should be able to sort you out.

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
Wife and I did a ~30km ride on the weekend. LOTS of climbing. Still came home with around 40% charge. Talk to Giant. Something wrong there.

If you get a chance. Use the app to record your next ride before taking it in.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
10 miles on turbo is capable of depleting a full charge depending on height gain, weight of rider etcetc... I personally havnt used anything other than eco and eco+ and get 65/70 miles id imagine on turbo id get 20 tops !!!

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
I have being Giant riding for 9 months. You should get closer to 30miles of road with climbing. Closer to 50miles on tarmac roads. IMHO.

You need to get back to LBS or Giant.

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
I wish I could be of more help, but I can ride over 30 miles with over 3000 feet of climbing and still have battery left. I am in reasonable shape and never need more than eco plus. Perhaps tone down the assist level? As an aside, my wife is 60 pounds lighter than me and usually has one extra battery bar left for the same ride.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
I wish I could be of more help, but I can ride over 30 miles with over 3000 feet of climbing and still have battery left. I am in reasonable shape and never need more than eco plus. Perhaps tone down the assist level? As an aside, my wife is 60 pounds lighter than me and usually has one extra battery bar left for the same ride.
Yep i agree 30 miles 2500 ft of climbing and have 45% battery left easily... i only use eco and eco + too

n2o_spark

Oct 30, 2018
Australia
10 miles on turbo is capable of depleting a full charge depending on height gain, weight of rider etcetc...

I really doubt that since it's a 250w motor and a 500 w/h battery. Meaning it would take 2 hrs at maximum power to deplete the battery. I can't imagine a 10miles climbing could take 2 hrs on an ebike.

I'll add that in Australia, I'm off the understanding that the battery is warranted for 500 charge cycles, which you'd be well within. So hopefully they'll get you sorted with a new battery.

Last edited:

Kova

Dec 2, 2018
San Diego, Ca
Thank you everyone, the problem has been solved. Turns out there's a button on the power supply. If you push that button, it will only charge the battery 60%. This is on purpose for battery storage. If you don't push that button, it will charge the battery 100%.

However... I was never 100% satisfied with the bike and returned it. Through more research I came across HAIBIKE and it blew my mind. It looks incredible, it rides amazing and the Yamaha motor isn't as regulated as the Giant version. It has more "kick" to it. I got it on sale and only paid $200 more than the Giant. 2018 XDURO AllMtn 10.0

THE BEAST.jpeg

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
Pretty bike. Very similar specs to the Giant, with the following advantages, disadvantages:
Motor, identical, but Giant can be custom tuned by software to any available torque.
Haibike comes with pedals and a screen display, the Giant does not. Giant comes with fox 36mm forks, not the smaller 34mm forks like on the Haibike. Integrated battery on the Giant, addon look on Haibike.
The rest is a wash. Hope you enjoy this one more, and try to limit the turbo boost if you can.

Kova

Dec 2, 2018
San Diego, Ca
Pretty bike. Very similar specs to the Giant, with the following advantages, disadvantages:
Motor, identical, but Giant can be custom tuned by software to any available torque.
Haibike comes with pedals and a screen display, the Giant does not. Giant comes with fox 36mm forks, not the smaller 34mm forks like on the Haibike. Integrated battery on the Giant, addon look on Haibike.
The rest is a wash. Hope you enjoy this one more, and try to limit the turbo boost if you can.
The bikes actually feel VERY different and I was lucky enough to test them back to back. The specs of the forks, brakes and derailleur are splitting hairs. The Yamaha motor on the Haibike feels much less regulated. When I hit 20mph, the Giant felt like I hit a brick wall and everything slowed down. The Haibike doesn't do that and I can keep pushing faster. My best description is this... The Giant felt like a "consumer" product and the Haibike feels like what the pros use. Kinda like driving a stock Ford Mustang and then getting into a NASCAR. Loved the Haibike the moment I jumped on it. The Giant always left me wishing for more.

Mesa

Nov 12, 2018
SO Cal
Yaeh
The bikes actually feel VERY different and I was lucky enough to test them back to back. The specs of the forks, brakes and derailleur are splitting hairs. The Yamaha motor on the Haibike feels much less regulated. When I hit 20mph, the Giant felt like I hit a brick wall and everything slowed down. The Haibike doesn't do that and I can keep pushing faster. My best description is this... The Giant felt like a "consumer" product and the Haibike feels like what the pros use. Kinda like driving a stock Ford Mustang and then getting into a NASCAR. Loved the Haibike the moment I jumped on it. The Giant always left me wishing for more.

Interesting. I too have been disappointed on a flat, safe street straightway with around 20 MPH headroom limits. I wish I could go 30. But I am 63 and kind of glad I won't get carried away at my age. Plus i ride without a helmet a lot. Old school but loving the stability and these 2.6 treads that handle perfectly for me. A little less traction on steep descents but confident steep angle turning over ruts and bumps, etc....

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Yaeh

Interesting. I too have been disappointed on a flat, safe street straightway with around 20 MPH headroom limits. I wish I could go 30. But I am 63 and kind of glad I won't get carried away at my age. Plus i ride without a helmet a lot. Old school but loving the stability and these 2.6 treads that handle perfectly for me. A little less traction on steep descents but confident steep angle turning over ruts and bumps, etc....
Anyone serious MTB'er who rides without a good helmet to prevent head injuries, has a death wish. The only thing I can think of is you are not very experienced, and/or you only ride learner tracks. Even so, statistics show many e-bike crashes happen at slow speed or when you are stopping or starting. The older you are, and the further you ride increases the chances of an off.
Please, for your families sake, wear a good quality helmet and have the LBS show you how to adjust it correctly.
(Can't be much fun living with permanent brain damage).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles