Giant App Issues

Claxxon

Aug 19, 2020
Scotland
Morning folks, I fired up the app the other day and was told I needed an update. Let the update process and now my 2020 Stance won't turn on. When I press the power button all the lights flash white and then go out. After lots of turning off and on again, battery in and out, I got it to stay switched on but after a few minutes of riding the lights all come on, including the red error one, and then the bike shuts down. Giant HQ are closed for the weekend and my local dealer says they can't look at it for 2 weeks. Anyone got any good ideas what I can do to let me ride my bike?

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Yikes, sorry to hear that 🙁
There has been significant reports of people with this problem on the forum, I think the best remedy is to leave it alone for a while, see here:

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Morning folks, I fired up the app the other day and was told I needed an update. Let the update process and now my 2020 Stance won't turn on. When I press the power button all the lights flash white and then go out. After lots of turning off and on again, battery in and out, I got it to stay switched on but after a few minutes of riding the lights all come on, including the red error one, and then the bike shuts down. Giant HQ are closed for the weekend and my local dealer says they can't look at it for 2 weeks. Anyone got any good ideas what I can do to let me ride my bike?
Ask your shop for their giant contact and call that person. This totally sucks. I have a Levo and a Trance and just updated the Levo last night. The Levo gives you the option of upgrading and there are release notes telling you what will change. Hardware aside, the Soecialized team knows software development t and understands the risk of a forced update just so you can use their app.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
This sounds like a failed firmware update. Have you reconnected the app and checked for update again?

Claxxon

Aug 19, 2020
Scotland
This sounds like a failed firmware update. Have you reconnected the app and checked for update again?
I can't get the bike to turn on so can't reconnect
Yikes, sorry to hear that 🙁
There has been significant reports of people with this problem on the forum, I think the best remedy is to leave it alone for a while, see here:
I'll give that a try. At present it's not going anywhere a it is.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Someone mentioned that Giant's app development was more focused on iOS, Android being the poor brother...
From comments on this forum there seems to be a non-scientific proof of that. 🧐

offroad

Dec 29, 2021
Wanaka, New Zealand
18 April, 2022. Updated Version 1.14.0.1.

What's New
We added Polish language, and also fixed some issues in this update.

I feel sorry for Polish Giant owners... looked what they have 'gained' ? At what point does Google throw an app off the Play store... current rating is 1.6 and heading south.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
18 April, 2022. Updated Version 1.14.0.1.

What's New
We added Polish language, and also fixed some issues in this update.

I feel sorry for Polish Giant owners... looked what they have 'gained' ? At what point does Google throw an app off the Play store... current rating is 1.6 and heading south.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
This shows that nobody at Giant is watching feedback. I had this specific conversation with the CS rep in the US. Remove the map and other stuff from the app and have it do a good job of bike monitoring and motor control. Make the app usable iwithout internet.

Claxxon

Aug 19, 2020
Scotland
Well, 48 hours of leaving it alone hasn't changed a thing. Press the power button, the lights all flash once and it turns itself off again.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Yes. I left it overnight without the battery and it made no difference. Giant customer support have told me it will have to go to a dealership to have diagnostics run on it.
Sorry to hear. Hopefully they pinpoint the issue. I believe their diagnostic tool uses bluetooth, so the bike has to be powered-up to connect.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Hey just ordered the “L” version of this awesome unit ! The only difference I could see between the L and the M unit is screen size. The L has a 2.7 screen and the M has a 2.2 screen. 👍

Further update on the L versus the M , I was correct the only difference is the screen size between the two and battery life 😎

Last edited:

Claxxon

Aug 19, 2020
Scotland
Quick update. My bike is back at my local Giant dealer for investigation and they are swapping out parts to find the fault. Hopefully it will all be done under warranty but if not I was wondering where I stand. The bike was fine until the update and all I did was follow the instructions on the app.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Quick update. My bike is back at my local Giant dealer for investigation and they are swapping out parts to find the fault. Hopefully it will all be done under warranty but if not I was wondering where I stand. The bike was fine until the update and all I did was follow the instructions on the app.
In Canada the warranty is 2 years, so I'd expect full warranty on a problem like that.

Cozza

Apr 26, 2022
Reading
I never even open the app now, no need for it, I got a Garmim Edge 130 plus, the cheapest one with ANT+ and it shows all I need with instant startup. I recommend this to everyone.
You can show more or less fields.
Garmin records your ride FAR better in every detail too. I used to feel a bit annoyed about my bike before this, but now never even think about the app. It's replaced as far as I'm concerned.
App field is Ebike Field

View attachment 79857
Hi, that's helpful thanks. What computer mount do you use for your Trance?

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Good news ! My bike has been fixed ! Apparently it needed a new discharge cable and a new controller. I'll pick it up on Monday and try to find out what went wrong.
Great that your LBS took care of you. However, I’m not convinced that Giant gives the shop proper troubleshooting tools. I worked in the electronics industry for a number of years and swapping stuff out till it works was considered caveman technique. Well designed firmware would help pinpoint the problem. That would detect sudden drops in power (bad discharge cable connections), a controller that went offline, etc. as far as I know the Giant troubleshooting tool is connected via Bluetooth, which means the bike must be working to troubleshoot it. A proper CANBUS tool would be able to see what’s happening., probe the controls, etc. I’ve recorded a lot of CANBUS traffic from this bike, but figured it’s not worth my time to decode the 21 message types. Giant has the keys to the messages so it would take a small effort for them to do so.

Last edited:

Heems

May 4, 2022
California, US
As a positive data point, I just picked up a 2/2022 manufactured E+3 yesterday. I could use the app without connecting to the bike in the app. However, once connected, it went through / asked for 2 updates. First one was a "gateway" update. The bike was at 80% and in auto mode prior to update. After the update finished the bike turned off. I turned it back on, connected in the app and it asked for a second update. This time the RideGo controller was updated. Again the bike shutdown after the update was finished. I turned the bike back on. Have not changed any bike settings so far and it doesn't look like there were any ill side effects. Ps: I have an iPhone.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles