Giant 2019 e trance battery

Skv1878

Apr 17, 2019
Liverpool
Hi all,

Just after some advise. My bike which is out of warranty (May 2021) battery has stopped being able to charge up.

I've tried 2 different charger and my local shop has said that I need a new battery as it may be damaged.

The only issue is that I had a speedbox fitted 6 months ago and was wondering if this may have impacted the battery and damaged the cells etc.

It was working perfectly fine but has suddenly just stopped being able to get charged up.

After any advise really.

Thanks

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I don't think the speedbox is the problem. I had also a problem with my 625wh battery and it was after some hard riding at summer with >45ºC.

Where are you from? I have a 500wh spare battery that I will be selling very cheap in a couple of weeks ;)

Skv1878

Apr 17, 2019
Liverpool
Thanks. I'm based in Liverpool.
Do you think it's worth pursuing with Giant and seeing if they can do a goodwill gesture or do you think that after 2.5 years the battery was on its way out.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I am from Spain, I think it is not worthy with the shipment costs and so :(

You can try to ask Giant, but I think they will say it is out of warranty and there is nothing you can do. Battery should last for more than that if you take care of it. I have a 2 years old battery with 95% health and working perfectly. It should last 5 years or more, but with reduced health.

We need greater warranty periods for motors and batteries. Two years is clearly not enough, most of the batteries and motors will not last in good condition for more than 3 years.

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Have the same 2019 Trance 2 w/the Speedbox installed since new. No battery issues at this point. How wet has this battery gotten just out of curiosity? I dont ride in the wet, as i dont like the lack of water proving this bike has shown me.

Skv1878

Apr 17, 2019
Liverpool
Thanks for the replies. Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and purchase another battery.
I agree however that the warranty should be more than 2 years.

With regards to the battery I've always been very careful with it and made sure that after rides it came off strisght away and I dried all the terminal etc. Just disappointed that it's not lasted.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
There are a lot of second hand 500wh battery of people that upgraded to 625wh. I think you can find some for about 250€, with 95% health as mine. That is much cheaper than buying a new 800€ battery ;)

Skv1878

Apr 17, 2019
Liverpool
Thanks everyone. My local giant store are going to see what Giant say and if they can replace the battery as a goodwill gesture. Will let you know

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles