Giant ‘Walk Mode’

Oldcrank

Jan 5, 2020
Albuquerque NM
OK. New, but still feeling a bit dumb.
I got Auto Mode to work with a bit of help from Australia. (Thanks, SoftSand)
Works great and thanks for the tip. It is lower than ‘Off’.
Now...
I can’t get Walk Mode’ to work.
Help is more than welcome!!

Oldcrank

Jan 5, 2020
Albuquerque NM
YES. Worked. Sort of ?
Does the Up button have to be held down?
Does it drop out of Walk Mode when forward motion stops?
Many Thanks!

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
Oldcrank I'm not sure how it works with the latest software that you have but on mine that has the old software once the bike starts moving in walk mode if it gets to a point where there is no load it stops offering assistance so then the bike slows down again load is placed on the motor again and it takes off and this cycle repeats itself and can be quite jerky.
It only seems to work well went you've got to walk it up a really steep slope which places a constant load on the system. I very rarely use mine. most of the time I just use it if I get to a set of lights or a gate and I'm in too high a gear so I'll use the front brake to pop my rear wheel in the air and spin the wheel up so I can shift down a couple of gears.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Walk mode seems to be pretty much useless.

Heaven forbid somebody might try to use it as a throttle, and offend some law or other? This is a weak explanation, but the only one I have for why walk mode is so bad.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Walk mode seems to be pretty much useless.

Heaven forbid somebody might try to use it as a throttle, and offend some law or other? This is a weak explanation, but the only one I have for why walk mode is so bad.
I haven’t been able to get mine to work smoothly or constantly either. I read somewhere that shifting to a higher gear works better, but I’ve not been bothered enough to try it out.
That would make it a ’run’ I instead of a ’walk’ wouldn’t it? :giggle:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I know what you mean about EU rules.
I was surprised at lack of kick stand!
Welcome to the wonderful world of e-mountain biking.
Off-road, BMX, mountain bikes (and competition road bikes) do not have kick stands for good reason. They pose an impalement hazard for you and others in an event of a crash.
So you’re now part of the crowd that looks for places to lean our bikes against! :cool:

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
As mentioned above, walk mode appears to have changed with the latest firmware update. On my 2020 Fathom E+ 3 29er (32km/h) after a software update this week to version 20190802000 I've noticed is "walk mode". Before you just pushed the walk button to engage, now you push the walk button and the power level indicator LED's cycle thru and you need to push the power level increase button to engage walk mode while this is occurring. It took me a bit of playing to work this out.

It's a shame Giant doesn't have a method of communicating this to owners somewhere as I only realised the change when I needed it on a ride and on a very steep slope.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I couldn't agree more, you would think that when there are major changes to basic functions Giant would want to inform a user. Comms don't appear to be Giant strong suit.
Well, previously I guess it was up to the Giant service centre to let the end user know what changed. Let’s face it, the Ride Control app could do with improving in a few areas... it’s a long way behind the Spesh offering for example.

rhehlen

Jun 16, 2020
Prescott, AZ
My wife just got a Liv ebike and we figured out the walk mode, but when it first started it took off at 4-5 mph (and up a steep hill). If anyone figures this out, let me know. Haven't checked out if the app can change this. Hopefully so.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Well, previously I guess it was up to the Giant service centre to let the end user know what changed. Let’s face it, the Ride Control app could do with improving in a few areas... it’s a long way behind the Spesh offering for example.
This used to really irk me, until I walked into an LBS Specialized exclusive dealership... and saw the prices of the 2020 models. And so they should have better apps. At those prices they should take their customers out for dinner every time they upgrade their firmware! ??

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
My wife just got a Liv ebike and we figured out the walk mode, but when it first started it took off at 4-5 mph (and up a steep hill). If anyone figures this out, let me know. Haven't checked out if the app can change this. Hopefully so.
I can't figure out mine either. It does take off faster than I'd like, but then it goes off... so I let go and press it again, and the same thing happens... :confused:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles