Getting ready to pull the trigger, but wanted to ask...

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
So I've gotten past the research stage to the about-to-purchase stage, and I'm planning to order a Meta Power 29 Essential Fox. It was between the Spectral:ON and the Meta Power 29. I'm focused on trail riding and exploring, plus other utility like pulling a kids wagon. It's my first ebike and my first MTB.

I wanted to ask everyone, is there anything you would have done differently or regret? Is there another bike you wish you would have known about first, or purchased instead? Are there any glaring problems with the Meta Power you have learned about that didn't turn up in your research? Best to ask now as I'm destroying me my budget! :whistle:

1554119949015.png

Last edited:

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
I do like Commencals but if you are happy with buying direct and haven’t already considered Thok I would take a look. I love mine and Rob got on well with the one he reviewed

MIG

If you convert the price from euro to gbp you’ll see there’s a lot of bike for the money

ebike_junkie

Mar 30, 2019
San Clemente, California
So far I've ridden the Levo, Giant, Rocky Mountain and the $10,000 Pivot and I still prefer my Commencal. The only thing that came close was the Rocky Mountain but you're paying 50% more for the same spec.

The bike you've chosen is a great spec and extremely capable. You won't regret it!

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Good choice on ordering one with a coil shock! The spec's on that bike are perrrrfect...That's a highend bike that wont need any upgrading.

Can't say i'd change much on the Commencal. If this is your first proper MTB, you're in for a riot of a time! FYI - being new to the sport you wont know anything, else so that bike is going to be friggin awesome.

Also, might want to call Commencal on the phone right before you order. Just tell them your weight and the size bike you're looking at, and that you want to check that the spring provided matches your weight well. If for whatever reason it doesn't ask if they can throw in a proper spring. And ask for free shipping ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don't have one but I do think for general trail/all round riding in the UK then Meta Power 29 is one of the best out the box EMTB's you can buy

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Me an a buddy have had ours for a year and would buy it again. Another friend just bought the 29 er and has 500 miles on it and is very happy with his decision. The spec you are getting for the price is what makes these one of the best values out there.

Last edited:

TallPaul

Mar 17, 2019
YO325UH
The only thing I changed on my Meta Power 29 was the grips as I have big mitts and they were a bit skinny for me and gone tubeless.
It got delivered within 4 days to. ?

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
Got this exact bike and have no regrets what so ever. Changed contact points to personal preference, went tubeless and fitted a larger coil (16.5St) The tyres that come on it are great for trail center and rocky descent abuse however I also bought a set of lighter wheels and out some faster rolling EXO casing Ardent Race on them for longer days out on the moors where they significantly increase the range of the battery. I'll probably swap to EXO casing on the HD wheelset when they wear out. I also ordered a second battery at the same time which works great on all day rides with several thousand meters of climbing or over 100 miles on the flat with the faster wheels. There's about 3lb weight difference and a huge amount of rolling resistance difference between them.

Long Range XC setup.

20190326_142753.jpg

Heavy Duty Setup.

55575483_390475911684602_7076595057003855872_n.jpg

Last edited:

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
The only suggestion I have, is since it's your 1st mtb and you have a kid (which will limit your trail time), is to get a commencal with a cheaper spec. The money you save can be used to buy nice bikes for your kids.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Did you get the bike?

I’m close to pulling the trigger on a signature version. It’s a similar price to the new Decoy but there is something about the Meta that just does it for me, alloy frame, more playful geo, better spec (subjective) for the price and easily removable battery. I’ve also got a dealer local to me who can supply so this will be handy for any warranty issues.

Last edited:

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I haven't yet. I've been off and on about the purchase for a few months, but ultimately what I really want is an internal hub rather than exposed mech, so I'm waiting for the next years releases to see if any manufacturers will have that on offer. If they put a Rohloff on it I'd have already made the purchase, but it seems like there is a form of religious aversion to adding 1kg of weight to the rear wheel.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Not Meta specific but -

Always tubeless - they put some big heavy downhill tubes in these things. Getting better range since converting mine.

Clean the transmission after every ride - your wallet will thank you.

Update the shimano firmware - the latest motor update softens the motor kicking in which can only be good for longevity of the freehub and motor.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
A few weeks back I decided to buy a conventional enduro bike to use at bike parks and for alpine trips. Then tried a Kenevo at the weekend and had too much fun to resist the temptation.

I was initially holding off to see what the future would bring, but we’re always going to be in this position of new tech/innovation around the corner - the MTB market is the same. Ultimately a stable reliable platform is as important as performance, and we seem to be in a good place.

I’m hoping the slightly less torquey E8000 motor, combined with regular cleaning, 2 chain circulation and clean shifting will result in decent drivechain longevity.

I plan to keep the bike for 4 years before upgrading. It would be great if Shimano make new hardware backwards compatible.

Last edited:

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I’m hoping the slightly less torquey E8000 motor, combined with regular cleaning, 2 chain circulation and clean shifting will result in decent drivechain longevity.

I plan to keep the bike for 4 years before upgrading. It would be great if Shimano make new hardware backwards compatible.

Keep an eye out on KMC, they should be releasing an even beefier eBike specific chain in the coming months that's said to be stronger than any other chains on the market currently.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles