Getting back in the saddle!

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Hey all,

Been looking at getting a Turbo Levo for a few weeks.

I used to race downhill, and rode alot BMX and DJs, but 8 years ago I had a crash and tore my MCL and ruptured my ACL. This resulted in 3 surgeries on the knee and a ACL reconstruction. And I haven't really touched a bike in 5 years.

Now I feel like I need to do something and getting back on the bike is that. I've been going out on my old XC bike, and after 2/4 miles off road my legs are destroyed. I'm hoping an EMTB is the correct option to help me get my muscles back to strength, and allow me to get back to riding with my mates as currently I dont feel its fair for them to come riding with me as I struggle with hills massively.

I don't really get pain from the knee, its more burning thigh muscles and my hips started to hurt yesterday (hip is used to always be a sign of my hips over compensating for my knee).

Anyone else using an ebike for something simular? Or do I really have this wrong? Also looking for somewhere around Oxford/Reading area that possibly lends out Turbo Levos for a weekend so I could give one a try - a carpark test isn't enough in my eyes.

filotnie

Aug 11, 2019
Frankfurt - SW London
This makes totally sense to me. On eBike you decide how much power you want to produce yourself.. so you can take it easy and you still ride.. and ride a lot! Then you add some more and become faster and ride even more.. until you fill confident.
I wouldn't recommend DH or though enduro until your strengthen your legs but everything else shall be a blast! The best thing with ebike is that you decide - no pressure but you can later use it like a lift and hit the trail more often then ever.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I've had some months off after some surgery too. I've found that I've lost a lot of leg strength and get burning thighs. It is improving but its taking time.

Having an EMTB is making me more likely to go out I'm finding, especially in this weather.

Not sure if you've ridden a stumpjumper but I have both and the levo feels almost the same, except for the extra weight.

I really don't think you can go wrong with a levo. It is an absolute marvel.

If you want a shop you seem close to Berkshire cycles. I'd ask them about demos etc. They are helpful people.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
I've had some months off after some surgery too. I've found that I've lost a lot of leg strength and get burning thighs. It is improving but its taking time.

Having an EMTB is making me more likely to go out I'm finding, especially in this weather.

Not sure if you've ridden a stumpjumper but I have both and the levo feels almost the same, except for the extra weight.

I really don't think you can go wrong with a levo. It is an absolute marvel.

If you want a shop you seem close to Berkshire cycles. I'd ask them about demos etc. They are helpful people.

I sat on a Turbo Levo in my LBS and it felt great tbh. They just dont have them to demo.

I dont really want to demo from a store. If I'm not going to buy from them tbh (I worked in the industry for years, and hated people that used to do that), I dont mind renting one for the weekend is fine :) I have heard nothing but amazing from Berkshire, they are about an hour drive from Oxford for me, so its not to bad. I have heard Berkshire do deals on Levos to which certainly makes them very entertaining too, I am looking at getting a Comp.

The burning leg is a killer, really makes it hard to do much, so far I've gone 2 miles and 4 miles yesterday, and it was hard. How long did it take for you to notice the difference? I only really get to ride at the weekends currently tho until it gets lighter in the evenings.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
sensible option mate, its a big part of the reason i bought the ebike and after a couple of months the legs and lungs are coming back, slowly but like others have said, you can make it as easy or as hard as you want.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Hey all,

Been looking at getting a Turbo Levo for a few weeks.

I used to race downhill, and rode alot BMX and DJs, but 8 years ago I had a crash and tore my MCL and ruptured my ACL. This resulted in 3 surgeries on the knee and a ACL reconstruction. And I haven't really touched a bike in 5 years.

Now I feel like I need to do something and getting back on the bike is that. I've been going out on my old XC bike, and after 2/4 miles off road my legs are destroyed. I'm hoping an EMTB is the correct option to help me get my muscles back to strength, and allow me to get back to riding with my mates as currently I dont feel its fair for them to come riding with me as I struggle with hills massively.

I don't really get pain from the knee, its more burning thigh muscles and my hips started to hurt yesterday (hip is used to always be a sign of my hips over compensating for my knee).

Anyone else using an ebike for something simular? Or do I really have this wrong? Also looking for somewhere around Oxford/Reading area that possibly lends out Turbo Levos for a weekend so I could give one a try - a carpark test isn't enough in my eyes.

Similar story for me with one bad knee and the Dr says I'm not old enough for knee replacement! (I'm 60)
My Levo has made all the difference as I can modulate my effort and knee pain with the support of the motor. I get out on long rides with an average HR of 150 and don't hold back any of the youngsters!

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Similar story for me with one bad knee and the Dr says I'm not old enough for knee replacement! (I'm 60)
My Levo has made all the difference as I can modulate my effort and knee pain with the support of the motor. I get out on long rides with an average HR of 150 and don't hold back any of the youngsters!
Wish I was that lucky, last Surgeon said my knee is so bad, I will need a replacement by the time I'm 50. Certainly sounds like the saving grace to get me back kicking it on the trails with my mates again.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I sat on a Turbo Levo in my LBS and it felt great tbh. They just dont have them to demo.

I dont really want to demo from a store. If I'm not going to buy from them tbh (I worked in the industry for years, and hated people that used to do that), I dont mind renting one for the weekend is fine :) I have heard nothing but amazing from Berkshire, they are about an hour drive from Oxford for me, so its not to bad. I have heard Berkshire do deals on Levos to which certainly makes them very entertaining too, I am looking at getting a Comp.

The burning leg is a killer, really makes it hard to do much, so far I've gone 2 miles and 4 miles yesterday, and it was hard. How long did it take for you to notice the difference? I only really get to ride at the weekends currently tho until it gets lighter in the evenings.

Noticed the difference every ride really. Because of the weather a friend lent me an exercise bike. No excuses now! That seems to have boosted things along. Just keep increasing speed/distance/time/resistance, and give yourself rest in between. 3 times a week is probably the sweet spot.

Good luck.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It takes a long time to get bike fit, but once you do it stays with you for ages. Yes you notice the loss of fitness when you have a layoff over Xmas for ex, but the burning leg thing doesn't come back.

I have arthritis in my knee joints and I tried everything on my analogue bike to keep riding. Physio, KT tape, pain killers, pain killing gels, smaller chain rings. Finally, all of the above at the same time!! The result after 4 years was that I was down to 10 miles in the woods with 2-3 days off to recover. Then I bought an emtb!!!!!!! Wow! Freedom at last. :)

Get an EMTB, now! :love:

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I’ve had back surgery, last year my L4 disc decided to bulge putting pressure on my L4 nerve.

I have a dead feeling right knee and lack of sensation in my thigh, plus if I try and use the right leg to much the thigh goes into spasm, I had about 1 1/2 inches of muscle wastage.

My bike has been fantastic , nothing to rough, but I started on small rides in trail mode, now I mostly ride and climb in eco to make sure the muscle gets used, anything to steep I just switch to trail mode.

Used right I think they are a great rehab tool.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles