Get out of your comfort zone?

davez

Jan 5, 2019
Germany
Why would anyone race with an EMTB? There are a lot of reasons to ride an EMTB, but I do not get it. Why not rather race with a regular MTB? It really seems strange to me. If everyone uses the same bike it comes down to who is the best rider; if you have different bikes it is a mix of best motor and rider. If you race you want a light and agile MTB, which the EMTB is definitely not

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Why would anyone race with an EMTB? There are a lot of reasons to ride an EMTB, but I do not get it. Why not rather race with a regular MTB? It really seems strange to me. If everyone uses the same bike it comes down to who is the best rider; if you have different bikes it is a mix of best motor and rider. If you race you want a light and agile MTB, which the EMTB is definitely not

Maybe rewatch the video, as I can think of numerous ways to answer your query, but the video says it all really.

lhglaze

Nov 5, 2018
Bournemouth

I can understand why people don't get the emtb race thing but for me, well, I don't enjoy going up hills on my normal bike and so would never have considered racing enduro. (I'm really glad I did!) As only the downhill sections were timed it meant that I could cruise to the top (whilst chatting to my teammates and feel fresh for the race back down. The motor doesn't help you too much on the way down as some of the sprints were over the 15mph limit so then it was down to strength and fitness.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Looks awesome, and respect on the Vid. Very cool text and editing effects!! Quite classy and worth a watch.
Looks like it was a fun day.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
You can apply that logic to any motor sport, last I looked F1 seems to be quite popular.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Depends what your after! For me it’s about racing myself and the clock. Trying something different.

I had an awesome day with a great bunch of new friends. I’ll remember that day and many more to come. I think that’s what racing is about, at least to me :)

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand

that makes about as much sense as me saying "no body should climb ladders because I am not comfortable with heights". Nobody is asking you to do it. Personally I just want to embrace the "Fun" that these people are having whilst hurting nobody

davez

Jan 5, 2019
Germany
You can apply that logic to any motor sport, last I looked F1 seems to be quite popular.
Ever seen a human powered car? :sneaky:

berg-gokart-buddy-orange-schwarz-bf-r.png

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
?

Are you an eBike ‘hater’ @davez ??

Motor, no Motor. On the day frickin’ quick guys won the race who are willing and able to go fast and control the bike at speed. It’s a different discipline for sure.

Thing is, all of us racing wouldn’t have been there not for an eBike. Pointless? Well...The point is to have fun in my eyes. I had a blast ?

davez

Jan 5, 2019
Germany
?

Are you an eBike ‘hater’ @davez ??

Motor, no Motor. On the day frickin’ quick guys won the race who are willing and able to go fast and control the bike at speed. It’s a different discipline for sure.

Thing is, all of us racing wouldn’t have been there not for an eBike. Pointless? Well...The point is to have fun in my eyes. I had a blast ?
Not at all, but it seems so strange to race on an EMTB. If I want to race (downhill), I would think it is even more fun to do so with a great (analog) Enduro or Downhill bike which weighs much less and is more agile.
Yes, you can compete playing scrabble underwater and have a blast. But again, I wouldn't see the point.
I love EMTBs because I am (again) able to do the tours I could do before I started getting asthma. So for me it is the best development in bikes for many years. So I am as far away of an EMTB hater as one can be.

Tunny

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
May 29, 2018
Birmingham
You can put a very poor rider on a race specific bike and a very advanced rider on a basic bike.. send them down the same hill and guess what..???

The advanced rider would always win!

Heavy ebike - light ebike
Powerful motor - weaker motor
Unfit rider - fit rider
Strong rider - weak rider

Point is it doesn't matter what your riding it always comes down to the skill/fitness of the individual in control.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I think it’s bloody pointless buying a McLaren for the road. People do, as they love them.

If you watch any Ben Cathro videos he says the pedals between stages are the worst bit.

What’s an eBike? What is a bike..? A vehicle for fun, fitness and shared experiences.

Every bike variant from eBike to kids trike is that in different levels. Whatever you do with it, you sling your leg over it and pedal for your own reasons and others will say ‘why are you doing that?’

I see your point, but then by that logic a bike with pedals and a motor is also pointless. You’ve got asthma and an eBike meant you could ride. I couldn’t pedal a whole Enduro due to fitness and now I can.

I just see them opening the whole sport in all its forms to more people..Always gonna be people unhappy that ‘their’ pure form of the sport is being tainted...

?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles