Get my E-Sommet back tomorrow. New motor.

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
I had to send the entire bike back to Shimano/Madison in the end to get it fixed. But get this, they've fitted a new motor, and the cause of the original failure was because it was set up for an 11-spd bike, but mine is a 10-spd (ie, not a VR).
Amusingly, my LBS have had another e-sommet in for an identical issue.

Anyway, been without it for months, looking forward to getting a ride in! Been on my 26" hardtail all summer!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
assuming you have the 10 speed Deore Sommet. Your drivetrain is mechanical.
an E8000 (or E7000) has absolutely no way of knowing how many mechanical gears you are running on a bike.
If your motor was set up to recognise an 11 speed Di2 drivetrain and you're running a 10 speed mechanical drivetrain the software simply wouldn't recognise it. (as there'd be no Di2 wiring plugged into your motor)
Di2 settings are available through the shimano App. ie. no need to send the bike anywhere or replace the motor.

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
Fingers crossed!!

Got the stuff at home ready to fit tomorrow once I pick it up, then off out for a ride.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
I had to send the entire bike back to Shimano/Madison in the end to get it fixed. But get this, they've fitted a new motor, and the cause of the original failure was because it was set up for an 11-spd bike, but mine is a 10-spd (ie, not a VR).
Amusingly, my LBS have had another e-sommet in for an identical issue.

Anyway, been without it for months, looking forward to getting a ride in! Been on my 26" hardtail all summer!
Did you get it back?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles