Levo Gen 3 Gen 3 Levo Motor Noise

Steve L

Aug 16, 2018
Nelson New Zealand
I have a 2022 Gen 3 Levo Pro and have had 3 noisey motors replaced in 700kms of riding , none of the motors have failed they just get really noisey similar to the one in the video I have linked which is not me

Latest motor was replaced this week and 3kms into the first climb it started making the same noise again so that is motor number 4

I weigh 100kg(220 pounds) and push the bike hard on fire road climbs in Turbo but the bike should be able to handle this and I am only just keeping up with friends on other brand bikes

2 motors have failed without the bikes even being washed
I ride at 90rpm cadence
Shuttle mode set to zero
Acceleration response was set to 40% on latest ride

I have my mastermind TCU set to display rider power and Bike power and I am regularly seeing 250w from me and 700w from the bike on a 25 minute climb

Is anyone else having similar issues as I am about to give up on this bike as it is so loud it is embarrassing to ride

Jamo

Jul 25, 2020
Fife
Mine is loud as well, noticeably so and much louder than mates bikes (bosch). I just think its probably what they do rather than being out if the ordinary so would he interested in other experiences too.

the fact you’ve had 3 or 4 also indicates its more normal than being out of place, no???

Tomnz

Jul 24, 2021
Porirua, New Zealand
I have a 2022 Gen 3 Levo Pro and have had 3 noisey motors replaced in 700kms of riding , none of the motors have failed they just get really noisey similar to the one in the video I have linked which is not me

Latest motor was replaced this week and 3kms into the first climb it started making the same noise again so that is motor number 4

I weigh 100kg(220 pounds) and push the bike hard on fire road climbs in Turbo but the bike should be able to handle this and I am only just keeping up with friends on other brand bikes

I ride at 90rpm cadence
Shuttle mode set to zero

I have my mastermind TCU set to display rider power and Bike power and I am regularly seeing 250w from me and 700w from the bike on a 25 minute climb

Is anyone else having similar issues as I am about to give up on this bike as it is so loud it is embarrassing to ride
Is that 700w the motor electrical power or motor mechanical power? Mine gets to about 590w mechanical max for reference

RodU

Jan 26, 2022
Northridge, CA

I ride at 90rpm cadence
Shuttle mode set to zero

I have a 2022 Levo Pro with about 500 miles on it. My motor is whisper quiet. I had a 2020 Levo Expert and I'd say the motor was a little noisy

SNEEZE

Sep 15, 2020
LAFAYETTE
motor bolts.jpg

I have discussed this issue with Bear Valley Bicycle in Arnold California, they pointed out the motor bolts have to tightened exactly to the specs, if not it may VOID the warranty. In my case the motor noise was vibrating thru the frame and oscillating. In the owners manual this page shows the bolts that are involved, but I discovered the call out lettering was incorrectly marked ( in yellow) is now correctly marked. Also new thread lock maybe needed as bolt "G" can re-tighten ( I discovered ) if thread lock is not applied.

Attachments

• motor bolts.pdf
    135.5 KB · Views: 550

SNEEZE

Sep 15, 2020
LAFAYETTE
Interesting I checked the torque settings and mine were a little loose. Sure would be nice if it helps with the progressive noise.
It did go for me, yesterday I pulled over and checked to see if the bolts had tightened and they did, so now I need to go back and Locktit it.

SNEEZE

Sep 15, 2020
LAFAYETTE
After further review my motor noise is only heard under very steep hill climbs, I weigh 240lbs so this maybe the main factor. I may consider taking motor apart to inspect the belt condition and reapply Vaseline to the belt to help calm the noise down or go on a diet!

Jan 31, 2022
Nor Cal
Mine is still making noise and now in the LBS as it completely shut down. Being the second owner not getting much love at the moment but in fairness it only had street demo 24 miles on it. Not the way I wanted to start my first eMTB experience in the shop less than month and taking slack like I'm a criminal for buying second hand.

Do the belts need dressing? Remember putting dressing on old car belts to stop squealing.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Mine is still making noise and now in the LBS as it completely shut down. Being the second owner not getting much love at the moment but in fairness it only had street demo 24 miles on it. Not the way I wanted to start my first eMTB experience in the shop less than month and taking slack like I'm a criminal for buying second hand.

Do the belts need dressing? Remember putting dressing on old car belts to stop squealing.
Californiacarver, where you located?

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
View attachment 81457
I have discussed this issue with Bear Valley Bicycle in Arnold California, they pointed out the motor bolts have to tightened exactly to the specs, if not it may VOID the warranty. In my case the motor noise was vibrating thru the frame and oscillating. In the owners manual this page shows the bolts that are involved, but I discovered the call out lettering was incorrectly marked ( in yellow) is now correctly marked. Also new thread lock maybe needed as bolt "G" can re-tighten ( I discovered ) if thread lock is not applied.
Is the correct torque for the DS Front Motor Bolt (G) and the NDS Front Motor Axle Bolt (F) 6Nm as shown in your image above? I see in the 2022 Levo owners manual that it states the torque should be 9Nm for both motor Mount front bolts. See the photo of owners manual;
IMG_4980.JPG

Last edited:

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany
I asked Specialized Rider Care for what is right.
They told me it is 9 NM and sended me this torque chart. I've checked the screws and they were massive under torqued.

Attachments

• MY22 LEVO Gen III-Drehmomente (1).pdf
    57.2 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
I asked Specialized Rider Care for what is right.
They told me it is 9 NM and sended me this torque chart. I've checked the screws and they were massive undertorqued.
My front motor mount bolts were also under torqued. I adjusted to 9Nm. All others were at spec.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
My motor was quiet from factory, but I did notice additional reduced noise when I torques the front motor bolts to spec.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Had a noisy motor replaced last week. Having that motor replaced this week. Sent a video to Specialized and they agreed it's not normal. SO that'll be three motors in three weeks.

I've spoken to other Levo owners and they agree it's really bad, the noise I'm getting after 20 minutes of riding.

Gordon

p.s. the sound in the video above is exactly what my two motors sound like.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Had a noisy motor replaced last week. Having that motor replaced this week. Sent a video to Specialized and they agreed it's not normal. SO that'll be three motors in three weeks.

I've spoken to other Levo owners and they agree it's really bad, the noise I'm getting after 20 minutes of riding.

Gordon

p.s. the sound in the video above is exactly what my two motors sound like.
3 in 3 weeks 😳 wow , my motor is getting replaced today, this is what my motor sounded like 😳

Attachments

• PXL_20220413_084144225.TS~2.mp4
    36.2 MB

MNTurboLevo

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
Minnesota/Arizon
My 2022 Turbo Levo Expert makes a loud whining noise which started at about 50 miles on bike. At 330 miles LBS just got approval from Specialized to replace the motor under warranty. Love this EMTB and glad Specialized is stepping up to make this fix.

MNTurboLevo

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
Minnesota/Arizon
My 2022 Turbo Levo Expert makes a loud whining noise which started at about 50 miles on bike. At 330 miles LBS just got approval from Specialized to replace the motor under warranty. Love this EMTB and glad Specialized is stepping up to make this fix.
This is my third EMTB in 5 years. First was a 2017 Haibike Allmtn 6.5 with Yamaha motor. Great reliable full suspension bike and my son now has it as his first EMTB. Second ride is a 2019 Trek Powerfully 9.7 Carbon with Gen 3 Bosch. Have put over 800 miles on this bike and it has performed flawlessly in the Arizona dessert.This bike is definitely a huge step up from the Haibike and I am a huge fan of the Bosch motor and the EMTB mode. Found the Trek layout to put too much weight forward on the bars, wrists and arms. It took a riser stem and some new bars to set the bike up properly for me. Latest bike is a 2022 Specialized Turbo Levo Expert. This bike is the best of the lot by far. Outstanding design and performance. Brose motor, tune ability and 700 watt battery are a big plus. I am 5'10" and weigh 180 lbs., S4 size fits like a glove out of the box and required no alteration of the stem or bars.. The suspension set up to Specialized recommended specs is incredibly smooth on the chunky stuff. The Brose motor is very responsive and smooth on the power delivery. Most of my riding is done in ECO mode with some use of TRAIL mode on steep climbs. I am 70 plus years old and have over 2200 miles of trail riding on these three EMTB's, mostly on trails in throughout Arizona, with some riding in Minnesota and Wisconsin as well. I can't say enough about how impressive the new Turbo Levo positions me in the cockpit and allows me to ride longer without beating me up on steep rocky downhill trails which are very common in Arizona. This bike was expensive but Specialized has packed a lot of value and fun into this ride for me.

BudFox77

Jun 5, 2019
Italy
I have a 2022 Gen 3 Levo Pro .....
.... Is anyone else having similar issues as I am about to give up on this bike as it is so loud it is embarrassing to ride

I have a similar issue with my new TL PRO with 100miles.

Did you find a definitive solution even after changing 4 motors?

Last edited:

MNTurboLevo

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
Minnesota/Arizon
That is exactly what my TL Expert sounded like after 330 miles. Deeply disappointing. LBS has documented the noise and Specialized has agreed to replace the motor under warranty. Hopefully this will remedy the problem.

BudFox77

Jun 5, 2019
Italy
Had the TL 2019 Expert. No issues over 3500 miles.

Bought the TL PRO for a month and immediately this surprise.
S4 size. I'm 180lbs.

I thought Specialized / Brose had solved all the issues with the motors.

Very disappointed.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles