Garmin watch data field for Shimano STEPS EMTBs

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Guys, does somebody here have one of following Garmin watches and is willing to test also my Nerdy alternative datafield to standard Ebike Field with Shimano bikes?
MARQ, Fenix 6(s/x) PRO, Fenix 7(s/x), FR 945 (LTE), FR 245 Music, FR 745 (remaining compatible devices doesn't have enough memory for this DF with STEPS support)

I already released it (3.0.0 - it might take while to appear also on Connect IQ app) but without any testing with Shimano, so it would be great if somebody will try it and confirm it is for any use. :)

Thanks

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Forerunner 935 won't work.

What doesn't work?

For the STEPS EMTB Data field the Forerunner 935 is not in the list of compatible devices, so you shouldn't be able to install it - unfortunately Garmin have never added Bluetooth compatibility to the CIQ libraries for that watch :(

If you try Jan's Ebike Field | Garmin Connect IQ - then that lists compatibility and should work (that app uses ANT+ and not Bluetooth).

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Doesn't that only work work with specialized, I'm shimano now..
Probaly should have said... That app works well I use to use it all the time.

Jan has managed to get it working with Shimano now too, so it should work great :)

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
All this is only because Shimano is greedy and don't use standard and open protocols. Instead they use only their own private connectivity (and don't ask me how I am able to read it...). :mad:

Hi Jan. Thats exactly what I'm interested in😊 can i take a look into your source code?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Downloaded marks ap via garmin express and it shows up under as as it does on my mobile but nothing in watcg 245m, any ideas

Hi Steve - just checking this: have you added it to one of your activities? It’s a data field, so it doesn’t show up on its own. You add it to an activity, and then when you start the activity it shows up on the page you assigned it to.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
No Mark I haven't so thanks for that, any chance you could give the heads up on how that's done 😁👍

Aha! Yep it's fairly complicated to try and explain all the steps, so you will need a bit of trial and error the first time :)
This gives an overall description: Forerunner 245/245 Music - Customizing the Data Screens

Customizing the Data Screens​

You can show, hide, and change the layout and content of data screens for each activity.
  1. Hold UP.
  2. Select
    Menu symbol
    > Activities & Apps.
  3. Select the activity to customize.
  4. Select the activity settings.
  5. Select Data Screens.
  6. Select a data screen to customize.
  7. Select an option:
    • Select Layout to adjust the number of data fields on the data screen.
    • Select Data Fields to change the data that appears in the field.
    • Select Reorder to change the location of the data screen in the loop.
    • Select Remove to remove the data screen from the loop.
  8. If necessary, select Add New to add a data screen to the loop.
    You can add a custom data screen, or select one of the predefined data screens.
Once you have done it the first time it's a lot easier and will make sense!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Thanks again, gave it a go but couldn't sort it, did connect to bike but screen just showed --%. Will sort it out though,

Cheers, the other steve👍
Try pressing up, down on the bike mode assist buttons if it is slow to show the battery percent - that seems to wake it up when needed.

steve160

Jun 16, 2020
Perth Australia
Try pressing up, down on the bike mode assist buttons if it is slow to show the battery percent - that seems to wake it up when needed.
Ok this was on an e8000 which I know is not compatible the en-ew100 will be here in a couple of days. So the fact that the % showed uo means im heading in the right direction. Never used a garmin up to today!

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Hey does anyone know if when the Garmin is connected to ep8 does it use the speed sensor?

I was thinking about getting Garmin speed sensor but not sure if it's necessary if it's getting the same data from the ep8 motor

thanks in advance

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Guys, does somebody here have one of following Garmin watches and is willing to test also my Nerdy alternative datafield to standard Ebike Field with Shimano bikes?
MARQ, Fenix 6(s/x) PRO, Fenix 7(s/x), FR 945 (LTE), FR 245 Music, FR 745 (remaining compatible devices doesn't have enough memory for this DF with STEPS support)

I already released it (3.0.0 - it might take while to appear also on Connect IQ app) but without any testing with Shimano, so it would be great if somebody will try it and confirm it is for any use. :)

Thanks
Hello all - I've just got a Garmin Epix gen 2 sapphire - I've downloaded Jans app to the Connect IQ.....I'm on a Shimano steps bike.
Can anyone idiot walk me through how to actually get the app data fields onto my watch while I'm riding the e-bike? I've paired the watch to the bike - what do I do from there? sorry but I've never owned a smartwatch or an e-bike before!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles