Garmin Edge 830 compatibility with Levo

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
So I already have the BLEvo app on my phone but I don’t want to use my phone on the handlebars and my older phones are not water proof. I was just going to get the Specialized display but someone else suggested the 520. So naturally when checking that out I noticed the newly released 530 and 830.

There is a MTB bundle that includes the mount/guard and a remote. Does anyone know if the Levo will connect with it to show the speed etc?

I know the price is getting out of hand and I should probably just pick up a used phone and install BLEvo on it but I am still curious.

Thanks!

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Here is a picture of the bundle

A0092A78-9151-464C-9944-4B819D7B6F20.jpeg

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
I have a 1030 and the Levo presents itself as 3 separate sensors:
Speed/cadence
Power meter
EBike

The Garmin head unit can then be configured to show speed, cadence and power from the bike, no need to use external cadence and speed sensors. The power displayed & recorded is rider input power not bike power so therefore will give accurate workout info.

Reactions: AML

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
My wife Linda wants something like this for her new Levo as she was so used to her Bosch display she just wants something that will give her some basic information but not Blevo before anyone suggests it as it is far too confusing :) So is the Garmin any good can anyone tell me?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Personally I'd recommend Garmin (I have an Edge 1030), but I know there are also lots of people who don't like them :)

In that bundle you wouldn't need the speed sensor (as it will get speed from your Levo). And I'd also be dubious about the remote - I've never used one, but it seems easy just to swipe the screen. I'm not sure how different the mount in the bundle is from the normal ones. Plus the bundle has a silicone case (not in your pic).

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
I would recommend Garmin myself, I’ve had several models over the years and use the Edge on my non ebikes. They’re sometimes criticised for occasional flaky firmware updates, and the competition (Wahoo, Lezyne, etc) are usually cheaper and just as fully featured but I always end up coming back to Garmin. They’re nicely made and generally just work as they should.

The difference between the mounts is - the standard out front mount is aimed at road bikes and positions the unit in front of the handlebars, the MTB mount supplied with that bundle and also sold separately (I have one) positions the unit backward directly above the stem and is more suited to flat bars.

If you’re not interested in mapping or a colour display, the Edge 130 will do all described so far in this thread for less investment.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
I use a Garmin Edge 1030 on my Levo und I‘m very happy with it.
Since I have set the wheel-diameter to 2000 I use the Garmin Speedsensor too.
What makes all perfect for me is the IQ ebike-datafield, the DIY-datafield and Garmin MTB-mount.

B88537AC-57B8-473D-A43F-F8E7ABC896AC.jpeg

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
Mind that with 2019 Levos communicating with the Edge is very sporadic. In my case I have quite ok communication over Bluetooth to my iPhone but the bike does only present itself with power and speed which is totally random anyway.

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
That doesn't appear to be the case with my 2019 Comp, I get speed/cadence as a dual sensor, power and ebike, with no connectivity issues. Do you have the fake channel enabled in Mission Control app perhaps?

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Thanks for all the info! I also am looking at the Wahoo too. Too many options. But I like how I can increase the font size on the display for my old eyes. Can the Garmin do that?

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Are the Wahoo any good as I hadn't even heard of them :) I just want one that will link up with the 2019 Levo and show which mode you are in and the bike battery level if this is possible!

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
Are the Wahoo any good as I hadn't even heard of them :) I just want one that will link up with the 2019 Levo and show which mode you are in and the bike battery level if this is possible!

Wahoo devices get good reviews and are good value, however I think the only way to get one to display battery on a Levo is to enable the fake channel on the bike and then assign a field on screen to it which is a fudge. Garmin has been around for much longer and has an app ecosystem which makes it easy to extend functionality. For example, this app can be installed on a recent Garmin Edge and do what you ask. Ebike Field

However if all you want is to display bike metrics are not bothered about GPS, mapping, fitness stats, etc then Specialized make a dedicated display for around £70:

Turbo Connect Display | Specialized.com

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
Thanks for all the info! I also am looking at the Wahoo too. Too many options. But I like how I can increase the font size on the display for my old eyes. Can the Garmin do that?
You can't really change the font size, but you can customise the multiple data screens for the required number of fields, so for example is you have 3 data fields on screen, the text will be larger than if you have 10 fields.

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
You can't really change the font size, but you can customise the multiple data screens for the required number of fields, so for example is you have 3 data fields on screen, the text will be larger than if you have 10 fields.

That works. I think that is what the Wahoo does too. It makes the font bigger by reducing the number of other fields.
Thank you for clarifying it for me!

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Wahoo devices get good reviews and are good value, however I think the only way to get one to display battery on a Levo is to enable the fake channel on the bike and then assign a field on screen to it which is a fudge. Garmin has been around for much longer and has an app ecosystem which makes it easy to extend functionality. For example, this app can be installed on a recent Garmin Edge and do what you ask. Ebike Field

However if all you want is to display bike metrics are not bothered about GPS, mapping, fitness stats, etc then Specialized make a dedicated display for around £70:

Turbo Connect Display | Specialized.com

You are right the Garmin makes more sense as for the Specialized display it's not that good is it and don't you have to remove the on/off switch to link it with the battery, as I need it to show the remaining battery on the bike, does the Garmin do that and is it easier to set up?

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
OK the Spesh unit wasn’t really a recommendation, just a low cost way of achieving bike metrics on the bars.

With the Garmin, you need either install & configure the linked app on it or the official Specialized Turbo one (I prefer the unofficial one, it seems more reliable and is updated more frequently). Once you’ve done that, it picks up the battery & mode wirelessly over ANT+ then you just need to pick a data screen and add the field in.

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Well that happened quickly, good luck with it, it looks like a great device (I’ve had/got 520, 820, 1030).

Come back if you need any help, but they’re easy to set up and very good.

Well I needed a Father’s Day gift for myself :) my kids are still too young :)

oripaamoni

Jan 31, 2019
San Diego
I use the 830 with my levo and it works great! Connectivity is very reliable (the tyrewiz... not so much) I would also recommend using the Ebike field connect iq app.

Reactions: AML

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Right then this is probably a daft question but here goes. If I get Linda the 520 or the 130 how do I set this up with the Levo battery so it can tell her how much she has left and is it easy to set up, she uses the mission control app to record her ride etc so will the Garmin interfere with the mission control and vice versa, also is the Garmin completely wire free as she doesn't like wires all over the bike. I am sure the 130 would be fine for her needs but it must connect with the Levo battery etc.

Thanks

Last edited:

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
Right then this is probably a daft question but here goes. If I get Linda the 520 or the 130 how do I set this up with the Levo battery so it can tell her how much she has left and is it easy to set up, she uses the mission control app to record her ride etc so will the Garmin interfere with the mission control and vice versa, also is the Garmin completely wire free as she doesn't like wires all over the bike. I am sure the 130 would be fine for her needs but it must connect with the Levo battery etc.

Thanks

Something like this (I don't have a 130 but it will be similar to the 1030)

1. Go into Settings, Sensors, Add sensor
2. Switch on bike
3. Add all that appear in the list (assuming you have no other awake ANT+ devices in range) - make a note of the device ID of the eBike when the Garmin finds it.
4. Install the eBike Field Connect iQ app on the Garmin. Depending on how you set up the device in the first place this will be via (a) Garmin Express on PC or Mac or (b) Garmin Connect phone app.
5. Go into Settings, Activity Profiles, (pick your default profile), Data Screens, (pick a screen), confirm layout / number of fields.
6. Select a field to change.
7. From the list of categories, select Connect iQ
8. You should see eBike Field, choose it.
9. You'll need to go back to where you installed the app (step 4) in either Garmin Connect app or Garmin Express and configure the eBike field with the ANT+ device ID (step 3) of the Levo and also to display battery & mode in a single cell.

Your mileage may vary but that it just about it. There's a whole thread about the eBike Garmin app here, as the developer is a member on here. The app is free but for a donation of a few euros you can receive a PIN code which unlocks a few more features.
Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support - EMTB Forums

This should not interfere with the Mission Control app as the Garmin will communicate exclusively using ANT+ whereas your phone will most likely be using Bluetooth LE.

The Garmin is completely wire free. I would recommend not using the road bike out front mount and buy the proper MTB mount.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Something like this (I don't have a 130 but it will be similar to the 1030)

1. Go into Settings, Sensors, Add sensor
2. Switch on bike
3. Add all that appear in the list (assuming you have no other awake ANT+ devices in range) - make a note of the device ID of the eBike when the Garmin finds it.
4. Install the eBike Field Connect iQ app on the Garmin. Depending on how you set up the device in the first place this will be via (a) Garmin Express on PC or Mac or (b) Garmin Connect phone app.
5. Go into Settings, Activity Profiles, (pick your default profile), Data Screens, (pick a screen), confirm layout / number of fields.
6. Select a field to change.
7. From the list of categories, select Connect iQ
8. You should see eBike Field, choose it.
9. You'll need to go back to where you installed the app (step 4) in either Garmin Connect app or Garmin Express and configure the eBike field with the ANT+ device ID (step 3) of the Levo and also to display battery & mode in a single cell.

Your mileage may vary but that it just about it. There's a whole thread about the eBike Garmin app here, as the developer is a member on here. The app is free but for a donation of a few euros you can receive a PIN code which unlocks a few more features.
Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support - EMTB Forums

This should not interfere with the Mission Control app as the Garmin will communicate exclusively using ANT+ whereas your phone will most likely be using Bluetooth LE.

The Garmin is completely wire free. I would recommend not using the road bike out front mount and buy the proper MTB mount.

Fab thanks for that I will probably get her the 130 as it is smaller than the 520 isn't it although the price difference between them isn't much!

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
Six of one, half a dozen of the other, the 520 has been out since 2015, so tried & tested software, but hasn't been updated for ages and will probably seem slow compared to new models, 130 is the newer generation (along with 530, 830, 1030) and is still current and will still receive software updates.

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Amazon had a little delay in getting it to me but it’s all good now.

A few fumbles in setting it up but it is mostly working now. The MTB mount interferes with the SWAT tool on the stem but I stashed an extra Allen key in with the spare tube in case I need to get to it.

I noticed I can’t adjust the assistance level even though there is a plus and minus feature on the screen. And the Turbo setting is less than what it is set to in Mission control. I need to play with it a bit more.

Overall I like it so far...adding the remote makes it much easier to switch pages.

925C663E-6CAD-46D7-841C-53CD22AC92FC.jpeg

AEC489FB-4314-47F1-9059-2D2B6FA99B97.jpeg

ABFA72C1-8C1B-4B37-B322-34AEF1C98880.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles