Garmin Ebike apps for MR2020 Giant ebikes

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi, I am starting this thread as I was informed by @Easily Distracte , that new Giant ebikes supports ANT+ LEV connectivity and therefore you can use my Ebike Garmin apps.

They can connect to your ebike from Garmin device, show battery level and current assist mode and even record these data continuously during your ride to Garmin Connect.

Get more information and links to download them here: Ebike Garmin applications by Jan Čapek

There is also already big topic about these apps on Specialized forum: Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support - EMTB Forums for anyone interested.

I hope I will be able to update the apps to report assist modes according to Giant naming convention.

Let me please know how does them work for you a enjoy!

20181011_160725s.jpg

KeithD

Dec 6, 2019
South Africa
Hi @JanCapek
Thanks so much for developing this ebike field, it is great!

I have been using it on my MY2020 Giant Reign E+1, and the battery percentage works perfectly.
The modes also display correctly, but they display only as numbers 0 to 6. I was wondering if these could be changed to the names instead?

The mode numbers that display are as follows, and Ive added their associated mode names.
0 = OFF
1 = ECO
2 = BASIC
3 = ACTIVE
4 = AUTO
5 = SPORT
6 = POWER

Regards
Keith

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi @KeithD cool, I was waiting for somebody to pair me reported numbers with their names. Wow, Giant have a lot of assist modes! :) I will check if I can incorporate them to the app.

Could you please try also Ebike Diagnostics app (Ebike Diagnostics ) and let me know what is the number after slash which app reports next to assist mode? Thanks and enjoy your rides!

Screamer2

Feb 5, 2020
italy
Hi @JanCapek I have a 2020 Giant Fathom e+1 pro and I'm thinking to buy a garmin device because the standard Giant app is too bad, can you tell me if the Garmin Edge 520 (normal, not the plus version) can qork with my bike and your app?
Thanks in advance!

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Picking a 2020 Trance E2 up on Friday, looking forward to getting your ap working on it! ???

Garmin 520plus here. Praying it works, always wanted this data for my current 2019 Trance 3.

Quite excited to be honest... ?

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
It might be due to the reason in the fourth sentence in one of my earlier posts:

"Yesterday I went to my LBS and asked them about this.

He phoned Giant UK and was told that the new display was just a prototype, and as they are having lots of problems with it, they didn't know yet whether it would ever be available to buy!

He did not know where the Norwegian website had got his information from, as no such information had been sent to dealers.

He said that the Ant+ was just provided for future-proofing, and there were no devices that would work with it for the forseeable future.

The display was not compatable with the 2019 bikes.

He added that the older Evo display was compatable with 2019 bikes, but you had to buy the unit, a new switch unit and 2 brackets; total cost about £250".

The ANT+ in the 2020 controller has apparently not yet been activated to work with any devices.

SnedviC

Sep 4, 2019
Slovenia
Hi, @JanCapek, thank you for your effort for developing ebike app! I can confirm that connection between Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire and Giant Ride Control One ANT+ works perfectly. I have replaced original RCO unit on my Trance E+3 2019 with RCO 2020 ANT+ version. The cost of new RCO unit was 100€ at Giant LBS, but it was worth it..(y) There are few minor bugs (battery cylcle count is incorrect and ODO meter in diagnostics shows number in format ?.??km instead of ???km), but overall functionality is satisfying.

image0.jpeg image01.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image6.jpeg image8.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image5.jpeg

Last edited:

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
Hi, I am starting this thread as I was informed by @Easily Distracte , that new Giant ebikes supports ANT+ LEV connectivity and therefore you can use my Ebike Garmin apps.

They can connect to your ebike from Garmin device, show battery level and current assist mode and even record these data continuously during your ride to Garmin Connect.

Get more information and links to download them here: Ebike Garmin applications by Jan Čapek

There is also already big topic about these apps on Specialized forum: Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support - EMTB Forums for anyone interested.

I hope I will be able to update the apps to report assist modes according to Giant naming convention.

Let me please know how does them work for you a enjoy!

View attachment 20800
Any idea if this will work with a Touring Edge Plus? I tried but couldn't get the battery % or assist mode to display. Thanks ..

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
It is strange that for somebody it isn't work and for others yes. :unsure: Isn't it only because of wear antennas? Did you tried to move device closer to battery/motor for the test?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Hi,
The ANT+ unit is the controller itself on the Giant Trance as far as I can tell (its the item bearing the trademark logo also) and on mine the Garmin is right next to it.

A19EF1A4-17F2-4C68-8CC7-64786DF92101.jpeg

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Perhaps interestingly...
I had cause to change the controller on my 2020 Trance 2.
Boom... works fine on the Beta firmware version 5.22.

i note version 5.30 is now out and incorporates “ANT Improvements and fixes”

Dare I? ?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Yes.
Message directly above yours mate.

I have only tried E-Bike Field though, so battery level and mode. Only really interested in battery level.

federic0

Apr 5, 2020
Italy
dears, is there a list of Garmin watches that are compatible with this app? i see the fenix, but are there other (smaller) models?

Bilko

Aug 18, 2018
Dorset
Has anyone got this working on a Garmin Vivoactive 3 yet? I can get Ebike field to work but Nerd style gives me an unsupported error.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles