Garmin 1030: Can you display GPS speed instead of sensor speed.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I'm playing around with a Garmin 1030 and the ENw100 junction, which I'm thinking of using instead of my 8000 display. All works pretty well. I like the better (more accurate??) battery level display especially.

However, I'd like to be able to display the speed recorded by the GPS in the 1030 instead of the Shimano sensor. Is that possible? On a normal bike you'd just not attach a speed sensor. But on the Shimano the cadence, battery, speed etc are all one sensor and I can't seem to find a way to have the GPS speed displayed instead.

Why do I want that, do you ask? Well, maybe, just maybe, I'm thinking of occasionally running my hardtail unrestricted and in that case the Shimano speed is displayed incorrectly....

Gordon

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
If I do it that way I also lose all the other stuff as the single sensor sends all the different fields. I just want to disable the speed output.

Gordon

baffobaffone

Nov 7, 2018
Vicenza (Italy)
I do not think it is possible the Shimano sensor should have priority over gps and speed sensor, I used with minimax version u.s.a assistance up to 32 km, I just need such speed and shows the right speed.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I don't know how the speed is calculated by the Edge 1030 when connected to a Shimano EMTB - whether from the E8000 system, or cadence or wheel rotation * wheel size, or GPS - hopefully whatever is correct. It sounds like it just works from what @baffobaffone says.

But if you needed to calculate the speed in a different way or modify the displayed value then I think the AppBuilder datafield would be your best bet: AppBuilder 5 . You could at the least apply a fixed scale to the speed before displaying it.

Last edited:

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
When a speed sensor is first paired with a Garmin Edge device, leave the wheel size set to auto - then ride it (preferably flat & straight-ish) for 1km - the Edge should beep and display "wheel size calibrated", this simply allows it to count the number of wheel rotations against a measured GPS distance.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles