Fussy batteries

gunshot72

Jan 13, 2019
Rushden, UK
Reading about the battery in my Focus manual but I assume it’s the same for all manufacturers. So let me get this right...

- They don’t like being stored cold.
- They don’t perform that well when used in cold conditions.
- They don’t like being stored at full charge.
- They need to be fully charged and then completely drained at least once every 6 months, preferably more frequently, in order to maintain full storage capacity.
- They will start to diminish rapidly in terms of efficiency after approximately 1000 charges.
- A new fixed battery can cost £1000.
- They can explode.
- They cannot be taken on aircraft easily.
- They prefer tea and muffins at 11:00, rather than a runny egg and lightly toasted granary at 10:45.
- The charger can overheat.
- The charger can explode.
- The charger needs removing after fully charging the battery, rather than leaving on in maintenance mode.

The internal combustion engine is less fussy!

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
I think that covers the majority or do's and don'ts. The liability and chemical management of Lithium batteries is well documented but at the moment they are the universal go to battery technology across many industries and applications.

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Well... assuming you ride every other day, that's over five years of use, and a new one is c.£450, so under 50p per ride!

And mine like his eggs runny, on well-toasted seeded batch, but there's no accounting for taste....

The rest is all true, but then it's a lot less messy and noisy than internal combustion!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles