Full sus EMTB 3k

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
After Robs review im concerned about the suspension not being that great and after something a little more enduro, eg a Vitus E sommet. Im also looking at a new 2019 Commencal essential fox. I was wondering if i could get more bike for my money second hand!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I may be biased as an E-Sommett owner, but I still think its the best proper Enduro EMTB out there, and I have ridden a fair few, and thats mostly down to the geometry, suspension kinematics, and the relatively low weight due to the external battery design compared to a lot of other bikes - however it is getting long in the tooth and definitely lags behind in terms of range, and I suspect will be given a major update for 2021 what with shimano announcing the new bigger batteries and the as yet unofficially confirmed new motor.

However for me a lot of emtb's have gone in the wrong direction in 2020, yes they look better but have pretty much also gone up in weight across the board, which is the thing I notice when I ride other bikes, but thats the trade off for bigger batteries and integrated design.

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
I may be biased as an E-Sommett owner, but I still think its the best proper Enduro EMTB out there, and I have ridden a fair few, and thats mostly down to the geometry, suspension kinematics, and the relatively low weight due to the external battery design compared to a lot of other bikes - however it is getting long in the tooth and definitely lags behind in terms of range, and I suspect will be given a major update for 2021 what with shimano announcing the new bigger batteries and the as yet unofficially confirmed new motor.

However for me a lot of emtb's have gone in the wrong direction in 2020, yes they look better but have pretty much also gone up in weight across the board, which is the thing I notice when I ride other bikes, but thats the trade off for bigger batteries and integrated design.
Thanks for the reply! Iv watched every video on youtube under the sun in terms of reviews and everyone is so positive about the E-sommet. My only problem is, new i can only afford the base model which is the E7000 with the Rockshox 35 gold rl forks which Rob says there are pretty rubbish in his review of the Decathlon stilus. Another option which i can get a great discount on bringing it around my budget is the cube stereo hybrid 160 hpc sl 625 but when i sat on one (not ridden) it felt like i was sitting on a boat rather than a bike!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No I wouldn't built the base E-Sommet personally, you would want the e8000

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
...with the Rockshox 35 gold rl forks which Rob says there are pretty rubbish in his review of the Decathlon stilus.

Did he say they were rubbish, or just a bit harsh compared to some higher end stuff?

I've had a set, and they were fine for general trail riding, what sort of riding will you be doing?

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
You're buying a bike to ride, not necessarily to sell on or to hold its value?
I do understand that, but maybe £3000 isnt so much to you as it is to me. I buy a car to drive but residual factor is certainly something most people consider im pretty sure so why not the same with a bike? With the forks it certainly didnt sound that positive? Im 6ft 17st so i was guessing i would need some better quality ones? Id like to get into more enduro/park riding more so than trail, although i will be doing that also.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I do understand that, but maybe £3000 isnt so much to you as it is to me. I buy a car to drive but residual factor is certainly something most people consider im pretty sure so why not the same with a bike? With the forks it certainly didnt sound that positive? Im 6ft 17st so i was guessing i would need some better quality ones? Id like to get into more enduro/park riding more so than trail, although i will be doing that also.

I can assure you that £3k is as much money to me as you, and for most people I expect.

But, bikes do depreciate like an ACME Anvil generally, so you need to make sure you’re happy to see that happen. If money is a consideration, there are probably better places to put it, and that’s before you mess with upgrades.

Cars are generally sold on after a few years, and dependent on mileage and condition have a predictable depreciation curve.

E-Bikes are different I think, new stuff is continually coming, better motors and bigger and better batteries. New geometry, better basic components etc. Riding it will wear it out and damage it, they don’t retain value well I don’t think.

I’m near 100kg kitted out, the 35 Gold Fork worked ok for me, I think the heavier you are the better with that fork from what I’ve experienced.

All that said, buying used as you’re trying to makes a lot of sense if you can find the right bike.

I purchased one of ‘last years’ models around November, prices are low on old stock then, but this year might be different given what we’ve just been through and the demand for bike stock. Should mean a few will be let go at some point though.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Honestly, the RS 35 have been terrible on both bikes (Merida and the Stilus).

They are terribly harsh, compression adjuster and especially rebound barely changed the damping unless you’re on the full / minimum setting.

I hate to say it but it’s the worst fork I’ve ever used and has no place on a £3k+ Ebike.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Could always take the fork off the E-Sommet brand new and sell it for maybe £150 ish?

Fox 34 Rhythm or similar would be a big step up.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Honestly, the RS 35 have been terrible on both bikes (Merida and the Stilus).

They are terribly harsh, compression adjuster and especially rebound barely changed the damping unless you’re on the full / minimum setting.

I hate to say it but it’s the worst fork I’ve ever used and has no place on a £3k+ Ebike.

I know there have seemingly been quality issues with them going on posts here, but I honestly don’t recognise those traits on my pair. Was I lucky?!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It depends what you are comparing them too and your point of reference is - seems to be that a lot of them come poorly prepped out the box, and that a quick service on them can work wonders, but they will feel pretty basic if you are coming off a higher end fork

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
It depends what you are comparing them too and your point of reference is - seems to be that a lot of them come poorly prepped out the box, and that a quick service on them can work wonders, but they will feel pretty basic if you are coming off a higher end fork

That’s probably a fair comment, I run them alongside some Mattoc Pros, some vintage coil Pike 284s, and now a pair of Rhythm 34s. They all have there ‘characteristics’ and all do a job of damping, but I haven’t experienced any modern ‘high end’ forks, but then I don’t think my riding warrants it really.

The Golds at £250 I find hard to fault though.

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
Apr 18, 2020
germany
I think the 35 has the same moco damper than the yari? Ober at mtb news some people drill bigger compression ports and the fork looses its harshness.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Can you wait a while?
There's been a massive hike in bike sales as we all know. Unfortunately folk will be getting made redundant & they'll want to be selling.

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
Can you wait a while?
There's been a massive hike in bike sales as we all know. Unfortunately folk will be getting made redundant & they'll want to be selling.
I can yes, and thats in the back of my head. Its just how long do you wait i guess? My friends are out every week and would also be a shame to miss the best months of the year! I want my cake and eat it i guess haha

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
In the end i managed to get my first ebike yesterday! Well chuffed ?

IMG_20200718_213224.jpg

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
Good for you fella. Let us know how you get on (y)
Did 20 mile around Cannock Chase today, was absolutely phenomenal! Iv never ridden another ebike to compare it with but it felt like a normal bike, cant believe the difference with the fox forks compaired to my Rockshox sectors, its like riding on pillows ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles