• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Full face? Neck brace?

EvoKenevo

Jul 6, 2018
Eastbourne
Hi All,
Coming from an MX background where we always wore full face helmets and neck braces, keen to see how many people wear the same when riding MTB. I am collecting a new Kenevo later and need to get all new gear so wondered what was popular and what wasn't. I will probably get myself a full face as I have no skill or talent and value my teeth :)

Any thoughts people?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think it’s personal choice - I wear both, and have a Fox Proframe full face which is much lighter and better vented than a DH lid, which I wear when doing anything where I am going to be pushing myself.

I have always thought normal helmets are not really that great for serious mountain biking because most falls I have had I land on my face, but traditional DH helmets are heavy and sweaty, and it’s only recently we have seen fully certified well vented/light full face helmets come to the market.

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
Have a similar background riding Enduro and MX. One of the things I love about my ebike is NOT wearing all the hot MX gear. I have a Bell Super 2r which is now superseded by the 3r. Great helmet as it has a removable chin guard. Means you stick the chin guard on for more DH riding and if you are on the trails can use the open face. The chin guard is easy to carry in a back pack and goes on in seconds.

The Super 3r is not quite as strong as a full on DH lid, but am happy to take that chance as a FF lid when going uphill is way too hot.

Don't use a neck brace on my ebike and not sure it is necessary unless you are riding DH worldcup tracks?

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Scratched my face badly on my latest crash in the swiss alps, so my next helmet will be a clip-on helmet as well, since uphill or on the trail the chin-cover can stay on the backpack and when it's downhill time, you clip it on. They are not as strong as a real fullface, but strong enough to save the face on a crash.

My first choice is the Bell Super 3R MIPS, the testresults i'v seen were good. Still have to try it and see if it fits my head.
The Giro Switchblade had the best crashtest results, but it's also by far the heaviest. And in trail mode it's quite bulky and sweaty, since it covers your ears and has not the best air ventilation.
The Uvex Jakkyl Hde is the cheapest, testresults were not that good and the straps tend to cause some trouble when putting it on.

Neckguards on an e-mtb? Looks a bit "over the edge" most of the time but on serious downhill or in the bikepark - why not. Don't have one, don't want one, so no clue about it.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have a Uvex Jakkyl and its a nightmare, worn it twice, the straps are a pain in the arse and the boa/retention item gets in the way when you put it on - also not a very big fit, even in the xl/l size. Now lives in my kids dressing up box.

I tried pretty much all the convertible helmets, and found them all to be a bit weird of a fit, or two fiddly due to the retention stems or straps having to work both as FF and HF. Thats why i went with the Proframe because it was way comfier and secure, and just as light and well ventilated as the others. Only pain is the peak isn't far up enough to rest googles below.

As such i would definitely try on the Giro/Bell etc before you buy.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have a Giro Switchblade. When I first bought it I really noticed the extra weight and head coverage but after a few rides I got used to it.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I wear a Fox Proframe, it’s an extremely well ventilated fixed full face helmet. I’ve been wearing it in all weathers on my regular bike for about a year. It’s not really much hotter than a regular helmet because it vents really well, I’ve happily done long summer rides in mid 20s and been wearing it all of this summer on the ebike. Review here: Fox Proframe helmet
I tried on the Bell with removable face guard and didn’t find it comfy, and I’m not sold on the idea of a removable face guard. I can guarantee I won’t be wearing it when I need it, and I’m a bit worried about landing on it and hurting my back if I’m carrying it in my pack.

In general you don’t want to wear a neck brace without a back protector/body armour, there’s a school of thought that the neck brace will transfer for to your spine and increase risk of a broken back, if you aren’t wearing a back protector to dissipate the force.

Whatever you buy, make sure you get a mips helmet, it might help reduce concussion which is a serious issue with mountain biking crashes.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
I have a Uvex Jakkyl and its a nightmare, worn it twice, the straps are a pain in the arse and the boa/retention item gets in the way when you put it on - also not a very big fit, even in the xl/l size. Now lives in my kids dressing up box.

I tried pretty much all the convertible helmets, and found them all to be a bit weird of a fit, or two fiddly due to the retention stems or straps having to work both as FF and HF. Thats why i went with the Proframe because it was way comfier and secure, and just as light and well ventilated as the others. Only pain is the peak isn't far up enough to rest googles below.

As such i would definitely try on the Giro/Bell etc before you buy.

The Fox Proframe looks good - I will take it into the equation. Thanks :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Troy lee have just bought out a similar concept helmet to Proframe, an enduro full face if you like. Its called the Stage, i don't think its in shops yet:

Troy Lee Designs Stage helmet - we got our hands on TLD's new light weight, enduro full face

s1600_1620180420PUB_Vital_WEB_G9Y9318_532981.jpg

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
I wear a Fox Proframe, it’s an extremely well ventilated fixed full face helmet. I’ve been wearing it in all weathers on my regular bike for about a year. It’s not really much hotter than a regular helmet because it vents really well, I’ve happily done long summer rides in mid 20s and been wearing it all of this summer on the ebike. Review here: Fox Proframe helmet
I tried on the Bell with removable face guard and didn’t find it comfy, and I’m not sold on the idea of a removable face guard. I can guarantee I won’t be wearing it when I need it, and I’m a bit worried about landing on it and hurting my back if I’m carrying it in my pack.

In general you don’t want to wear a neck brace without a back protector/body armour, there’s a school of thought that the neck brace will transfer for to your spine and increase risk of a broken back, if you aren’t wearing a back protector to dissipate the force.

Whatever you buy, make sure you get a mips helmet, it might help reduce concussion which is a serious issue with mountain biking crashes.

Cheers for that info Dax, I’ve just researched and ordered the Fox. (y)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

This is great advice - wearing neck brace without back brace is not a good idea

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Another Bell Super 2R MIPS owner here. It's often hot when/where we ride, so it's nice to be able to remove the chinbar.
As Interpaul said it's quick and easy to remove/replace the chinbar when not likely to be needed.
Fit is good for my slightly oval head shape, but I had to remove the thick cheek pads which pressed too hard on my jaw.

Biggest danger is that wearing a full face makes me feel like I'm back on my moto tempting me to charge harder than I should! :eek:

Here's a pic of mrs levity's chinbar stored out of harm's way in her Osprey Raptor 14 backpack.

Wire Mesa.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’ve had several unscheduled dismounts with my chin bar in a fanny pack where I’ve landed on it with no detrimental effects. They were all at slow speed, as they should be. If I’d come off at high speed while not using it I’d be a muppet.
At the FoD and Cannock I know where I need to be wearing it and should I venture somewhere unknown I’ll put up with the minor discomfort and wear it all the time.

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
pictures or it didn't happen :LOL:
It's a very nice helmet, had it in my hands today, super lightweight and excellent airflow!

Haha, it's in the garage now in its bag, so will get a photo tomorrow. Yeh super lightweight and excellent quality, comes with a range of pads to get the best fit - but mine fit straight out of the box.
Another member mentioned that there isn't enough room under the peak for goggles, pretty much agree - the goggles will rest under there with a bit of persuasion, but I wear them around my neck or spin them to the back of the helmet anyway (when not covering my eyes obviously!).

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I tried very hard at the weekend to generate an excuse to buy a Proframe, just ask @Dax ... :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, on my one unscheduled dismount I landed flat on my back and didn't hit my helmet.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I thought the Super DH was just an additional model int their convertible range, not replacing the 3r which will still be produced? Super DH being a burlier option. Nice looking helmet it is too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles