Front Chainring/Rear Cog Size in Etube software

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
I'm thinking of going back to 10 speed from 12 speed Eagle when I replace my worn drivetrain. At the same time I was going to replace the front chainring to be 32t instead of 34t.

I've seen in the Shimano Etube software that there are settings to change the chainring size and the smallest rear cog size. Does this have any importance for STEPS and the motor calibration/operation or is it just important if I am running electronic Di2 shifters?

I ask because it looks like 32t is not an option for chainring size, and want to be sure that it doesn't change the operation of the Shimano motor.

Thanks!
DrChris

hokkane4

Jan 3, 2019
Finland
I have 32T in front and haven't noticed any difference(compared to 34T). It's so small difference in gearing(~6%) that by changing different manufacturer tire (even with same size marking) can make around same difference.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I put a 32t front ring on without changing anything software related without issue.
It would be a surprise if changing to a 10spd cassette has any effect regarding the electronic side of things unless you have Di2. All the physical de-restricting devices meddle with the signal from the speed sensor to give the motor the impression the wheel is spinning slower than it physically is. If the motor was logging crank turns against road speed you’d think it would throw up an error code as soon as the de-restrictor cut in.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wonder on a none Di2 if it affects the walk mode or if that is just standard on none Di2.

Not that it will make a noticeable difference with the % change you're talking about, but just curious if they wrote it into the software.

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
Going to change my 34t chainring with a 36t. Steps Unlocker can set it to 36t but is it really working ? I ask that because Shimano only make 34t and 38t E8000 specific chainring. I have the 38t too and my FW is 4.3.2 , main purpose is to gain top speed with less rpm. Maybe 38t is better over 36t ? ( 36t will be Renthal 1XR )

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
The chainring size thingy doesn't work properly .. just leave it as default and all will be well.

That makes sense to me, and I'm willing to take your comment on faith. :)

That said, I'm curious why it even matters to Shimano? Especially the rear gear ratio. What value does that add to Shimano's calculations? If it makes no difference as you say, then why even ask for the information in the first place?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That makes sense to me, and I'm willing to take your comment on faith. :)

That said, I'm curious why it even matters to Shimano? Especially the rear gear ratio. What value does that add to Shimano's calculations? If it makes no difference as you say, then why even ask for the information in the first place?
I think it might be used as a variable on the di2 bikes, most likely when calculating the power in walk mode. Vadll added it initially due to user requests, but it causes problems when you change it as the Shimano software gets it knickers in a twist.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So 36T or 38T I leave it default 34T ?

Just saw there is a 12s 36T steps chainring made of steel. Better option than a Renthal 36T 11s made of alloy ?

Yes, the safest option is to just leave it set as the default 34t, even if you change to 32,36,38.

I think there was a recent thread saying that all the 10,11,12 speed narrow wide chainrings were the same/compatible in terms of which of those chains you could use. But yes, if you can get a steel one, it should have much better longevity than the ally one. On my Kenevo, I'd swapped out the stock praxis 32 steel for a 36 ally and it shark toothed pretty quickly as the chain stretched. Have a new chain and back on the stock 32 whilst I wait for a praxis 36 steel to come.

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
Yes, the safest option is to just leave it set as the default 34t, even if you change to 32,36,38.

I think there was a recent thread saying that all the 10,11,12 speed narrow wide chainrings were the same/compatible in terms of which of those chains you could use. But yes, if you can get a steel one, it should have much better longevity than the ally one. On my Kenevo, I'd swapped out the stock praxis 32 steel for a 36 ally and it shark toothed pretty quickly as the chain stretched. Have a new chain and back on the stock 32 whilst I wait for a praxis 36 steel to come.
Can you tell what Praxis chainring is ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm not going to ask how you found that .. I've looked and searched and searched more .. and never saw it ... arghhhhh .. I'm internet blind ...

€11 for a 36t !! incredible !!

Joeyrotundo

Apr 13, 2019
Canada , Vancouver Island
After many replaced and buggered chains I declare Aluminum drive rings have no place on ebikes!
I did figure out my chainsuck problem
is the Alu cheese chain ring for sure.
Thanks to Zimmer for the clues that helped figure that out.
I can't get ahold of the Praxxis 104bcd 36th chainring in Canada (sold out)
Seba did you get your rings from Miranda yet?
I found some Fourier ones but they are much more money.

Ride
Smile
Recharge
Repeat

Joe

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
After many replaced and buggered chains I declare Aluminum drive rings have no place on ebikes!
I did figure out my chainsuck problem
is the Alu cheese chain ring for sure.
Thanks to Zimmer for the clues that helped figure that out.
I can't get ahold of the Praxxis 104bcd 36th chainring in Canada (sold out)
Seba did you get your rings from Miranda yet?
I found some Fourier ones but they are much more money.

Ride
Smile
Recharge
Repeat

Joe
I canceled order to miranda they are too long. Refunded

Received a 36t steel chainring truvativ sram from bikester. https://m.bikester.fr/truvativ-mtb-plateau-104-mm-acier-singlespeed-noir-466156.html

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Does anyone know where to find a Praxis 36T ering that will ship to Australia? Praxis website only does North America.

Iv'e also noticed the <2019 Giant's run a SRAM X-SYNC 2 36T steel ring from factory. This could be another option but i can only seem to find the alloy version for sale online? Is the steel option an OEM only part?

Struggling to find a 36T steel ring!! I breifly ran a 36T alloy ring and loved the gearing however i killed it after a couple of BIG STEEP LONG climbs in boost mode using the 46T granny gear. The deflection of the chain on the 46T chewed the inside of the chain ring alloy teeth to pieces. The alloy just isn't strong enough on the ebike.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Does anyone know where to find a Praxis 36T ering that will ship to Australia? Praxis website only does North America.

Iv'e also noticed the <2019 Giant's run a SRAM X-SYNC 2 36T steel ring from factory. This could be another option but i can only seem to find the alloy version for sale online? Is the steel option an OEM only part?

Struggling to find a 36T steel ring!! I breifly ran a 36T alloy ring and loved the gearing however i killed it after a couple of BIG STEEP LONG climbs in boost mode using the 46T granny gear. The deflection of the chain on the 46T chewed the inside of the chain ring alloy teeth to pieces. The alloy just isn't strong enough on the ebike.
Putting mine on today hopefully ? where abouts are you, @Christian found them in a shop in Melbourne

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere

Bike now in Melbourne had a few last time I was there, give them a call!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
That's awesome, i will see if i can catch up with them. Just to confirm you're talking the praxis ering? How much did they sting you for one?
Yes praxis steel ring and price $49

96A4C6D8-0BA5-4EBA-B701-45C08B4375CF.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles