Front chain ring. Replace when cassette and chain need doing or not

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
i haven’t worn out my SL chain and cassette yet but 1300 miles in I’m sure it won’t be long before I need to. So as I’m due to ride the long Mynd in about 8 weeks time I thought I’d buy new cassette and chain to keep ready for when the time comes to replace.
i was thinking of replacing the front ring as well because I always found with 2 x 10 speed that if you didn’t you usually knackered your new chain pretty quick.
This is my first time with single ring front drivetrain so not sure if I need to replace or not.
logic says change it but would like you guys opinion and see if any of you have left the old front ring on and not experienced Problems doing that. They ain’t cheap so wouldn’t want to throw away a perfectly good part if I didn’t need to.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Personally speaking, I only replace stuff once it’s worn out.

Yes, that means my chains, cassette and ring/s are all different ages, but that’s what I do.

Chains are relatively cheap compared to a chain ring or cassette, so if I end up changing a chain a bit earlier than I otherwise would, I’m ok with that.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I would personally change it all because I would worry about losing the chain on rough sections. Narrow wide chainrings don't hold the chain very well when worn, even with a chainguide. 1300miles is a good life for a eeb.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Do you regularly measure your chain and swap it before it gets too worn? I can usually make a cassette and chainring last 2 to 3 chains.

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Do you regularly measure your chain and swap it before it gets too worn? I can usually make a cassette and chainring last 2 to 3 chains.
I don’t measure but i do buy two chains and rotate every couple of 100 miles. Also clean and lubricate after most rides.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Ah OK. I usually change the chainring too on 1X. On my old 3X bike I can get away with not changing the outer ring every time.

I'd measure the chain that's not on the bike - see how worn it is?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles