From flats to SPDs

Hale_Storming

Oct 14, 2020
Munich, Germany
Hey guys, I'm thinking of switching to SPDs. Ive been riding flats from day 1 but SPDs seem to provid more control.

What do you think? And advice on starter pedals?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Some years ago, I went from flats to eggbeater and now I'm on SPDs.

A good pedal is Shimano PD-ME700 SPD Trail pedal.
It's around 40£ a set and is very durable and secure.

Maybe add a set of "beginner" cleats, which will provide easy un-click from the pedals (SM-SH56).

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
Lots of thoughts here.

Letford

Jul 21, 2019
Basford
I’ve not used “spuds” for years but you used to be able to loosen the spring tension with an Alan key to make it easier to clip on and out, if your new to them.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Rode SPD for years, I'm currently on Crankbros E-mallets. good amount of float and easy to get out of.

I'm currently trying to get better with flats.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Don't be tempted by the multi-release cleats (or Click'R pedals). I found they release way too easily..... like when you really don't want them to release.

Personally, I've only ever ridden Shimano SPDs right back from the original M737 so I can't comment on other brands.

Pedals are a personal preference and the source of countless holy wars online.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I'm using a pair of Deore spd pedals - PD M520, and they have been leaving marks in rocks about the area for a year with no problems. Very solid. I pair them with Shimano SM SH51 cleats. It's been a cheap, tough combo that I'm happy with. Start with the screws loose enough to allow easy disengagement and tighten them as you become more proficient :)

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Time Atac..( now owned by Sram ) ..
Although clipless pedals are commonly referred to as SPD'S..or spuds ..that is the abbreviated version of Shimano Pedalling Dynamics..( that last bit for info only ?)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles