Article Fresh new 2020 Ebikes

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Another nice video, keep up the good work.

So with ten bikes and counting to test I guess your kids are not going to see a lot of dad this summer!

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Great time to be in the market for an e-MTB! Although narrowing it down to one is going to be rather difficult. I just hope prices come down with all the new bikes coming on the market....

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
So much cool stuff coming out.
Shiny new bikes are great, but I hope Emtb riders don’t feel like they need the latest and greatest to enjoy the trails. I rode one of our old demo bikes last week on an impromptu ride. All of the new demo bikes were already signed out and I was a little disappointed, but once I got out on the trail, it really didn’t matter what year the bikes was, I was too busy grinning from ear to ear

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Great time to be in the market for an e-MTB! Although narrowing it down to one is going to be rather difficult. I just hope prices come down with all the new bikes coming on the market....
Prices only seem to be going one way, and that is up - look at the latest releases from Merida and Commencal.

Like em or loathe em Specialized has shown that with clever marketing and a slinky looking (but rather unreliable ;)) product supported by your LBS you can charge a significant premium and sell pretty much as many as you can currently make. If EMTBs were more reliable in general more people would be prepared to go the direct sales route, but the fact they aren't combined with the high complexity of these bikes seems to mean most people want the assurance of an LBS. The limits on supply of key components like motors probably isn't helping either.

I think your only hope of downward pressure on prices will come if a disruptor like Bafang can get in on the act and offer a decent lower cost motor option at significant volume. Even if they do though, will people be prepared to pay 50-75% of the cost of a premium brand to a non-premium disruptor like Calibre (from Go Outdoors) when that still equates to £3-4k? I'm not so sure, but hopefully time will tell...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I had the chance to look at the dealer brochure today of the Whytes, and they look to be very competitively priced and specced for a bike out of an LBS.

The Commencal looks great value to me compared to a lot of similar specced bikes, you are getting a lot of kit for you money, and its the top end model, so cheaper variant will be out in due course.

For me its the Merida that is crazy priced, and IMO makes the Levo's look good value!

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I had the chance to look at the dealer brochure today of the Whytes, and they look to be very competitively priced and specced for a bike out of an LBS.

The Commencal looks great value to me compared to a lot of similar specced bikes, you are getting a lot of kit for you money, and its the top end model, so cheaper variant will be out in due course.

For me its the Merida that is crazy priced, and IMO makes the Levo's look good value!

Any idea when the whytes are available to buy?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Heres another one coming in hot, new Moustache:

Exclusive First Review: Moustache Samedi 29 Game with Bosch Performance CX 2020 motor | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

New-Neu-Moustache-Samedi-29-Game-2020-Test-Review-emtb-2-1140x760.jpg

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Is it possible to get any more information on the Whyte’s On t’interweb? I have a good stockist that I’ve used before but it’s a 50 mile round trip to visit.

Thanks,

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Not at the moment, but all major dealers should have the full details, they where given a spec book of the 2020 bikes at the recent dealer launch event, and Whyte reps have been doing the rounds of the stores too.

The one thing they were not sure of was the exact geometry. I was under orders to take no photos!

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks R120, I’ve just found a spec list at onyerbike so presuming that’s correct it’s another one for the list. I’ve fortunately just found another dealer 10 minutes away so I’ll pop over at lunch tomorrow (y)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There only appears to be medium and large sizes for the 180.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes the dealer I was speaking too said the one thing that is not yet clear is exact sizing and geo

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
I agree with MattyB regards reliability i started on Bosch system many failures now on a Specialized which is better but already on second motor.
Canyon and YT bikes look great but until reliability improves i would not be confident enough to buy via direct sales as i rely to heavily on my LBS to keep my bike going.

A

Adrian

Would love to go Commencal but I am also scared to go the direct sales route. My 2019 Levo is on 3rd motor. I'm never told what the exact problem is but it certainly feels/sounds like one of the plastic gears has spun.

Shimano have this isuue?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles