freehub question.

TPP

Oct 1, 2018
Leeds
Unfortunately I bought the bike in England but am now living in France. The time/cost/hassle of shipping it back to England to claim on the warranty isn't worth it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
freehub engagement design is generally pretty basic. things like snapping teeth/pawls and stripped ratchet rings generally happens when the pawls for what ever reason haven't closed properly and power is put through the mechanism. Sometimes it's down to poor design/materials or wear and tear others it's purely down to bad luck.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Surely a specialized dealer in france will comply? Warranty doesnt restrict you to your supplying dealer??
I'm certain this is true. Somewhere on here there was a guy who bought his bike in the UK and now lives in italy and have Specialized Italy sort his warranty problem out.
Worth a shot @TPP

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That is surely one of the benefits of the big brands. You can take your Audi and its warranty work to any Audi dealer, even if you are in another country (never had to do it but I'm sure you can). It should be the same for bikes. Brands are brands.

TPP

Oct 1, 2018
Leeds
Nearest Specialized dealer is 2hrs away.. Not sure I want a 4hr round trip to receive a Galic shrug and a reply of Non, c'est pas possible. Even if they did fix it its 8hrs driving and the petrol costs. Probably easier to buy a new one and fit it my self. So back to the original question. Do I have to get the Specialized product or are their other alternatives ?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Well, since you are asking this question I suggest you go and talk to your LBS. But yes you can buy any brand that is boost, same spoke count and either a XD or Shimano freehub depending on your cassette. Hope and DT Swiss are good brands. The tricky part is to get a hub where you can reuse your spokes due to different total length. If you cannot build the wheel yourself it could be easier and cheaper to buy a new rim.

Karsten

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles