• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered (free)hub reliability?

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
If I were to buy a new set of wheels for my e-mtb... which hubs are good (or the best...) for e-bike use and which ones are better left in the shops?

Recently many freehubs are getting more POE's (points of engagement), which is good for reducing the free stroke before the hub engages. But (too) much POE's can also reduce the reliability of a hub I've been told.

Is that true?
And is it necessary to have an e-bike specific hub? According to the prints on the hubshell the DT Swiss 350 hub in my Merida e-900 is not e-bike specific. Which means no thicker shell, no reinforced axle and no steel freehub body. Don't know which ratchets (POE's) are used.

Are there any hubs that cause more trouble than average on an e-mtb?
And others that have an impeccable track-record?

I would be interested to know more about this before I buy any other wheels ;)

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Not really an answer to your question but I'm in the market for some new hoops for my emtb and am thinking that these may just be the ones.

HUNT E_Enduro Wide E-MTB Wheelset

Reviews for hunt seem very good especially for the ££
I've read that those are the #1 choice. Mavic also do an E-cross wheel too for a little less. All companies specify a steel bodied hub, but if you have a 12 speed then those are all aluminium as far as I can tell. Did you opt for the Hunts ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought an e13 wheelset, with e13 hubs. The whole thing had a five year warranty, which was the final convincer for me. If they had that much faith in their product it must be good right?

Err no, I have had a very unhappy experience with them on an analogue bike. The service technician at the UK agent said he had never had to replace one hub before, let alone three! If that is true, then it must have been a rogue. The initial hub was very poorly sealed and rusted to failure!! This was after 128m, then again after another 711m, and then yet again after another 786m!! All of this was fixed under e13's five year warranty, with varying degrees of replacement. The first was all new internals, the second one was a new hub, the third was a complete new hub of the latest seal design and all the bearings. I can't fault e13's service, but the quality of the design or manufacture was evidently poor. Each time I was without the rear wheel for almost two weeks. Fortunately I had a second bike :)

I was open about this to the guy that bought the bike from me, the third failure occurred on his test ride, boy was I embarrassed! But there must have been a fourth failure because he gave up on the wheels several months later. :( He kept the scandium-dosed aluminium alloy rims though!

raceleathers

Jan 23, 2020
Burnley, Lancashire
I've read that those are the #1 choice. Mavic also do an E-cross wheel too for a little less. All companies specify a steel bodied hub, but if you have a 12 speed then those are all aluminium as far as I can tell. Did you opt for the Hunts ?

I couldn't go for the hunts because mine has boost rear and standard 100mm front. So, in an effort to get back up to date Ive just ordered a Cube 625 160 action team instead :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles